NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Crater Janssen and surrounding area

neil phillips

4 hours ago, Kon said:

Great captures with the new setup. How do you like thus far? The craterlets have come very nice. 

Its promising. Showing a lot of potential.  So far I think it looks detailed and natural. under less than ideal conditions. By no means have we seen the best yet. Its hard to walk with. Even harder to get on the EQ 6. But will learn to take my time.

Cheers Kon

• Like 1

just going through the captures. I made the mistake of still having the fan running while capturing a whole series of images. not something i normally do. And wont be doing again Doesn't seem to have hurt the image that badly. 

I now have collimation perfected I believe. ( wasn't with these images )  Also shooting in daylight which effects contrast badly. Only the beginning. Far far Better will be coming soon I am sure. 

Reduced to 50 % size to preserve quality  click for slightly larger size

50%.png

Edited by neil phillips
  • Like 5

Very nice images Neil. Detail is popping out very clearly.

The rille and cataena in the first image followed by the tiny (to the eye) craterlets on the mare surfaces in subsequent frames is something for others to aim for.

1 hour ago, maw lod qan said:

Excellent!

I enjoy seeing Luna in close up detail like these images!

Seeing the small craters covering the Mares, really makes it obvious the intense pounding she has taken over time!

Thanks. And yes the impacts are astounding in their number

Edited by neil phillips

1 hour ago, Swoop1 said:

Very nice images Neil. Detail is popping out very clearly.

The rille and cataena in the first image followed by the tiny (to the eye) craterlets on the mare surfaces in subsequent frames is something for others to aim for.

The first image was taken without the fan running. Before seeing got slightly worse. Its work in progress. But getting confident. If i can get the conditions. Some good images will be coming. I see this as a first rough test. I've learned a lot about the setup in my first outing.  May also try slightly longer focal length. Even though I am at a good sampling rate here. Possibly could try a touch more. But need superb seeing for that. I don't like to keep downsizing. But conditions have to be great to prevent that.  Lets hope spring early summer delivers good conditions for everyone.

Many thanks Swoop its good to be doing astronomy and posting again. 

Edited by neil phillips

Cheers Stuart. will have to check out the weather now you said that.  I have to admit, apart from the I don't want to set it up problem. its good having a big mirror again. I have a feeling its going to rock within the next  few weeks. time will tell

• Like 1

Another excellent set of images. On the new images, there are amazing details inside the craters. Outstanding!

I am also glad to read that it's performing well. Very exciting to see what you can do under good conditions.

4 hours ago, Kon said:

Another excellent set of images. On the new images, there are amazing details inside the craters. Outstanding!

I am also glad to read that it's performing well. Very exciting to see what you can do under good conditions.

Will be interesting finding out. Many thanks Kon

Congrats on new scope!! (?)    I have a "new" mount on the way to me I am looking forward to.   Retiring my iOptron AZ Mount Pro and soon using an  AZ EQ6 GT.    It should handle my 140MM better (big moment arm).   I will continue to just use AZ....  but the EQ is there if I ever want.

Lovely first images!!   I like the processing.  :)))))

Very best

Mike  (I am still alive - just shitty sky)

1 hour ago, WestCoastCannuck said:

Congrats on new scope!! (?)    I have a "new" mount on the way to me I am looking forward to.   Retiring my iOptron AZ Mount Pro and soon using an  AZ EQ6 GT.    It should handle my 140MM better (big moment arm).   I will continue to just use AZ....  but the EQ is there if I ever want.

Lovely first images!!   I like the processing.  :)))))

Very best

Mike  (I am still alive - just shitty sky)

Good to see you around Mike. Was thinking of you the other day. Congrats on the new mount. We should catch up at some point. I will message

• Like 1