Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

New Worcestershire Observatory

michaelmorris

It's looking good so far Michael. I like the Pergola and the use of the mirror to make a feature too. It crossed my mind to use a transparent roofing material for my observatory simply for lightness and ease of rolling by hand. In the end I used 1/2" ply and covered the roof with a sheet of rubber roofing material which is glued to the ply. By allowing the rubber to hang over the roof edge it created a skirt that prevents rain from blowing beneath the roof. Also, to help with ease of rolling by hand I used 5" wheels. The inside walls and floor were covered with black interlocking matting to help reduce any stray light when the roof is open. It's worked flawlessly for the last thirteen years. It still gets quite hot inside in summer because of the black roof. If I'd have used the white plastic to cover the roof I'm pretty sure it would be cooler. I'm looking forward to seeing your final decision on your roof and how homely you make the inside. ☺️

image0.jpeg.11b928b8687daf54559b54c74ebd9642.jpeg

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, Grant said:

This is looking ace Michael! Lovely work and nice design 🙂

Thanks.  It's been nearly 5 years since I last had an observatory. ☹️ It's been a long road, but I'm nearly there 🙂

• Like 1

On 16/04/2024 at 10:01, michaelmorris said:

First fix on the electrics today 😁😁😁😁😁

First fix complete.  It will have a total of 11 double sockets!.  This includes two laptops, a screen, an Alexa, 12v transformer, heater, 2 tasks lights, 2 powered USB hubs, hair dryer (for emergency dew control) other assorted bits and bobs +  spares in each position (above and below desk, pier and one wall)

IMG_20240417_091741217_HDR.jpg

On 27/04/2024 at 11:24, david_taurus83 said:

An excellent build! Are you in the construction trade Michael?

Nope, I'm a government scientific regulator.  However, my partner is an (excellent) Architect 🙂.  We have built it together.  She has greatly influenced the choice of materials used and the method of construction and has been VERY active in building it with me.

To paraphrase an old advert.

Carlsberg don't do girlfriends, but if they did ... 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, michaelmorris said:

Nope, I'm a government scientific regulator.  However, my partner is an (excellent) Architect 🙂.  We have built it together.  She has greatly influenced the choice of materials used and the method of construction and has been VERY active in building it with me.

To paraphrase an old advert.

Carlsberg don't do girlfriends, but if they did ... 

Lol I remember that ad growing up in Ireland