Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Star Adventurer GTi Mount Advice

Hi All,

I'm just waiting on delivery of my first Astro rig, but the Mount I was looking at is now looking to be at least end of April/May delivery.

I'm looking to maybe swap it to something else, so after advice. I like the Sky-Watcher range as they all seem to have decent reviews.

What drew me to the GTI is that fact that I have a Caravan so was looking at a lightweight goto mount. Also, the area I live in is very light polluted, but there is a dark sky site about 30 minutes drive away, so was looking for something at least a bit portabvle to take out in the car and carry around.

The rig I am waiting to be delivered is:

Mount - Sky-Watcher Star Adventurer GTi 

Scope - William Optics v2 RedCat 51

Camera - ZWO ASI 2600MC-Pro

Guide Scope - William Optics 50mm Slide-base Uniguide scope 

Guide Camera - ZWO ASI 120MM Mini USB 2.0 Mono Camera

ZWO ASiair Plus

ZWO Electronic Automatic Focuser

ProAstroGear Black-CAT Mount

Could you suggest a good replacement got the GTI? Stick with Sky-Watcher is possible, would need to be semi-portable, go-to, work with ASIAir Plus and a good fit for the kit list above.

Much appreciated.

Bargy

Probably not the same build quality but a lot of us use the azgti in EQ mode (firmware upgrade, additional EQ wedge and DIY counterweight) with excellent results. Check out the owners thread.

Not sure who is suppling your kit, but @FLO have a few AZGTi’s listed as being in stock.  Only 8, left, and when I was looking (during 2020) they were out of stock for a long time, so I purchased the Ioptron Sky Guider Pro. That’s an excellent mount, but I struggled with the supplied wedge, so purchased the much better, although heavier and costly, William Optics wedge too. 
Good luck with whatever you choose. 

Chris

7 minutes ago, Elp said:

Probably not the same build quality but a lot of us use the azgti in EQ mode (firmware upgrade, additional EQ wedge and DIY counterweight) with excellent results. Check out the owners thread.

Thanks, I did look at that but it looks like the GTI is a kind of replacement for the azgti. I might as well just wait for the new GTI or go up a step, maybe the EQ5 or something? I just don’t know what I should be looking for really.

2 minutes ago, Cjg said:

Not sure who is suppling your kit, but @FLO have a few AZGTi’s listed as being in stock.  Only 8, left, and when I was looking (during 2020) they were out of stock for a long time, so I purchased the Ioptron Sky Guider Pro. That’s an excellent mount, but I struggled with the supplied wedge, so purchased the much better, although heavier and costly, William Optics wedge too. 
Good luck with whatever you choose. 

Chris

Hi mate, the order is with @FLO but they gave a date of the 20th March, then mid April so I know what’s coming next.

it’s not the azgti I have on order it’s this one 

http://www.skywatcher.com/product/star-adventurer-gti/

• Like 1

If you're in it long term and will be looking to get a larger scope and don't mind the weight of the mount for carrying out and in then yes, a larger mount makes more sense. Most people recommend an heq5/6 pro versions. I've got a gem28 myself, but use the azgti more as it's more convenient to setup.

Edited by Elp

1 minute ago, Elp said:

If you're in it long term and will be looking to get a larger scope and don't mind the weight of the mount for carrying out and in then yes, a larger mount makes more sense. Most people recommend an heq5/6 pro versions. I've got a gem28 myself, but use the azgti more as it's more convenient to setup.

I wouldn’t mind going a bit bigger to be fair, was just looking at the GTi for portability.

Could you lug around an heq5/6 pro? Or are they just too big and heavy? 

Depends how strong you are really. My gem28 setup is around 20kg so for shuffling to somewhere close by fully assembled, not an issue. I wouldn't want to carry it up/down some steps though. My azgti setup I don't have this issue. The problem with carrying it fully assembled is the centre of gravity is away from your body so you need more strength to lift and move it. If you disassemble it a little that will help. I don't think mounts are too heavy until you get into the 30-40kg load types.

A "bit" more expensive option could be ZWO AM5. Brings the sturdiness of a big mount but remains fairly lightweight.

My setup is to some extent similar to yours.

The core of the setup ZWO AA+, AM5 with WO RC51 and ASI585MC 

IMG_20220711_103158.thumb.jpg.3722238d46e4cf18f9c07a36b891a027.jpg 

20221204_134552_HDR.thumb.jpg.a0d43289f0f3a187138d9311fc023cfb.jpg

Packs up nicely into a single backpack 

20230304_202905_HDR.thumb.jpg.d441b9d70ec8dcb962cb493b55ed256d.jpg 

20230304_203807_HDR.thumb.jpg.567707b30998200effeddcbe566a7392.jpg

It did cost a lot but coming from the light mount and all the frustration of throwing away a third to half of the subs, I did not ever regret it.

Buy once, cry once. Happy ever after.

• Like 1

On 06/03/2023 at 12:29, Bargy said:

Hi All,

I'm just waiting on delivery of my first Astro rig, but the Mount I was looking at is now looking to be at least end of April/May delivery.

I'm looking to maybe swap it to something else, so after advice. I like the Sky-Watcher range as they all seem to have decent reviews.

What drew me to the GTI is that fact that I have a Caravan so was looking at a lightweight goto mount. Also, the area I live in is very light polluted, but there is a dark sky site about 30 minutes drive away, so was looking for something at least a bit portabvle to take out in the car and carry around.

ZWO ASiair Plus

Could you suggest a good replacement got the GTI? Stick with Sky-Watcher is possible, would need to be semi-portable, go-to, work with ASIAir Plus and a good fit for the kit list above.

Much appreciated.

Bargy

Edited by LDW1

On 06/03/2023 at 17:29, Bargy said:

Hi All,

ZWO ASiair Plus

Much appreciated.

Bargy

I’m in the same position as this - I’m waiting for the GTI and it’s looking like late spring before they are in, I’ve considered many options including the AZI GTI but agree you might as well wait than go down that route, however it depends on your urgency but I think you’ll be hard pushed to find a better portable mount imo - it’s worth the wait if you want the features it offers. 

I was between the SW gti and the AM5. Took a punt at the GTI and glad I did. I have same set up as per your initial post and the Gti carries it with no issues and I'm  close to 4kgs. Guiding is good,  RMS is between 0.6 - 1 which is good enough for the spacecat 51.

Picture below is pre cable tidy. 

20220927_192052.jpg

Edited by Astroscot2
  • Like 1

52 minutes ago, Dark Raven said:

A "bit" more expensive option could be ZWO AM5. Brings the sturdiness of a big mount but remains fairly lightweight.

My setup is to some extent similar to yours.

The core of the setup ZWO AA+, AM5 with WO RC51 and ASI585MC 

IMG_20220711_103158.thumb.jpg.3722238d46e4cf18f9c07a36b891a027.jpg 

20221204_134552_HDR.thumb.jpg.a0d43289f0f3a187138d9311fc023cfb.jpg

Packs up nicely into a single backpack 

20230304_202905_HDR.thumb.jpg.d441b9d70ec8dcb962cb493b55ed256d.jpg 

20230304_203807_HDR.thumb.jpg.567707b30998200effeddcbe566a7392.jpg

It did cost a lot but coming from the light mount and all the frustration of throwing away a third to half of the subs, I did not ever regret it.

Buy once, cry once. Happy ever after.

Well…I went for it and ordered the AM5…everything gets delivered tomorrow. I like that rucksack…where did you get it? I was thinking about a Peli Case but that Rucksack seems to do the job quite well. I have a Jackery battery as well but luckily that comes in its own bag with a strap 

• Like 2

I've gone through a few bags starting with a 40L, then 50L now 70L. Now my refractor setup all fits in it with everything including flat panel, cables filters batteries tripod etc. Weighs a tonne though. 

It is Lowepro Pro Trekker BP 550 AW II backpack. I got it from local photo store, but it is fairly common and widely online available. Google for best price.
I like it especially as it is designed to fit as carry on luggage and I can confirm that it fits nicely in the overhead compartment of Boing and Airbus.
Took it on planes, trains and car, kept all my gear safe. There are things I would like to see improved mainly regarding strap management that I got used to with my other backpacks.

It would be much better if it was back-loader backpack so your straps do not get dirty or wet when you lay it down. Biggest issue I have with it is that it does not have strap zip-up cover to store them away. Super handy feature when traveling or setting on airport security conveyer belts.

Minor things, but other than that quite satisfied.

That AM5 slewing sound never gets old 😀

Congrats, I believe you will be happy. That mount carrying capacity will allow for long-time growth.

Do swap those ZWO flat USB cables with proper ones. Be sure to separate data and power cables when cable managing. AM5 harmonic drive has tremendous torque and it will rip out cables with ease. Should you need to reduce weight (airplane, long hike) you can shave off 0.5 kg by replacing the dovetail and saddle. I've added a linchpin just in case.

223510547_20221204_134006_HDR2.thumb.jpg.ec64485649736b20d8e6db5d9a175ad8.jpg

Wishing you some clear skies and do not forget to dither and drizzle due to the scope focal length and camera pixel pitch to mitigate under-sampling and blocky stars.

Br,

Edited by Dark Raven

55 minutes ago, Dark Raven said:

That AM5 slewing sound never gets old 😀

Congrats, I believe you will be happy. That mount carrying capacity will allow for long-time growth.

Do swap those ZWO flat USB cables with proper ones. Be sure to separate data and power cables when cable managing. AM5 harmonic drive has tremendous torque and it will rip out cables with ease. Should you need to reduce weight (airplane, long hike) you can shave off 0.5 kg by replacing the dovetail and saddle. I've added a linchpin just in case.

223510547_20221204_134006_HDR2.thumb.jpg.ec64485649736b20d8e6db5d9a175ad8.jpg

Wishing you some clear skies and do not forget to dither and drizzle due to the scope focal length and camera pixel pitch to mitigate under-sampling and blocky stars.

Br,

Thanks for the tips!

OK...think I have ran into my first issue

Can 't get focus on the guider scope...just shows a white screen (even with gain at zero in ASI Air

Scope is https://williamoptics.com/products/telescope/guider/all-new-50mm-guiding-scope

Camera is https://www.firstlightoptics.com/zwo-cameras/zwo-asi-120mm-mini-usb-20-mono-camera.html?gclid=Cj0KCQiAgaGgBhC8ARIsAAAyLfFt1VUWHx_i9lqLhVZYHUW0t_4nT6ODRwbr7-ScFDqPZHc9Zkhh8iUaArkREALw_wcB

Read a few bits about needing enough back focus....I have used all the extension bits I had with the scope and camera and not sure if they are a mismatch...

2 minutes ago, Elp said:

You tried this just now? Exposure time has to be extremely low (close to micro seconds) during the day otherwise it'll be white, more so as the camera is mono.

OK, let me try again - cheers