NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Holy Grail Scope

Sunshine

I might have been known to say “mirrors are for shaving” (more than once) but my grail scope would be an 18-20” Dob such as an Obsession*.But only if I had the skies to really make use of it.

*I will be handing in my refactor fan club membership at the next meeting.

• Haha 5

Just managed to get hold of mine. Knowing what I do about my observing habits, wishing for a 10” Quartz Mak-Newt or a 20” dob would be a waste on me, they wouldn’t get used despite the undoubted amazing views they give. So, this lovely FS-128 is a sweet spot for me. Surprisingly lightweight for a 5” frac, quick cooling as it is a doublet and optically superb.

IMG_7008.jpeg

• Like 9

The slightly odd thing is that even if you are lucky enough to get your "Holy Grail" scope, this does not seem to stop lusting after other interesting scopes as they pop up - Holy Grail #1, Holy Grail #2, Holy Grail #3 etc, etc. I guess the truth is that we are just equipment junkies really 😅

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

4 minutes ago, John said:

The slightly odd thing is that even if you are lucky enough to get your "Holy Grail" scope, this does not seem to stop lusting after other interesting scopes as they pop up - Holy Grail #1, Holy Grail #2, Holy Grail #3 etc, etc. I guess the truth is that we are just equipment junkies really 😅

This is very true John!! 😱🤣

• Like 1

So true. For the longest time, a C6 was my holy grail. Well, I got one. So the new holy grail was a Long Perng 90, and I got one of those. Almost immediately started looking at the "next holy grail".

• Like 1

Going back over this thread, I just noticed this

On 23/02/2023 at 19:09, Stu said:

I’ll agree with the FS128 👍

After having read all this

Do you have any thoughts on this week's lottery numbers?

Edited by Zermelo
  • Haha 1

At the moment my holy grail scope is one I can actually look through and see something! These clouds are depressing me.

That aside, it’s hard to give a definitive answer, I have my Tak 78FS, I should be satisfied with that, it’s what I’ve wanted for fourteen years! Perhaps it’s the accessories that goes with it to make it complete.

I’d happily  sell all other scopes and stuff, and I’d need too, to get there.

chaz

• Like 1