Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Can you see anything significant?

I just took this photo with my Iphone 13 pro - i know it’s not that great but it’s my first time experimenting with the camera and there was a lot of light pollution around me.

However, I was wondering if I captured anything cool like clusters etc? I’m a complete beginner so I’m really not sure what I should be looking for

Thank you so much - please be kind :)

A989CACF-7BFF-4FAC-9F94-035C484EDAC3.jpeg

• Like 3

Well, for a start you have the constellation of Orion in the bottom left corner, with the three stars of his belt easily visible, and below them the sword, the two stars with a feint fuzzy light patch around them. That fuzzy light is the Orion Nebula, or M42 in the Messier catalogue. Always nice to see :).

Edited by Marki
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Great slice of sky!  I hope you don’t mind @kelly324, I took the liberty of downloading your photo and tweaking it just using the standard phone picture settings  - contrast, definition and sharpness turned up and you can see you captured a lot! 

E35FDD7E-9F57-407D-8F03-0FB35F04969B.jpeg

Edited by SuburbanMak
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 13/02/2023 at 18:42, kelly324 said:

However, I was wondering if I captured anything cool like clusters etc? I’m a complete beginner so I’m really not sure what I should be looking for

Download an app like Skysafari and point your phone in the direction of interest. It will tell you what you are looking at! As others have pointed out you have managed to get many stellar objects of interest in your image.

Enjoy.