Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Has anyone had dealings with Sheds Sheds Sheds?

tezz

Good day to you all.

I have been chatting to a guy who owns Sheds Sheds Sheds.

He has gave me a price,

He wants £550 Bank transfer upfront and the rest(about £1800) when he comes.

I'm having second thoughts, so I thought I would ask here.

Thank you 

No but typically that's how build/renovation companies work, deposit then total on job completion, some may offer short credit terms on the latter. Best to do some research on the company beforehand, reviews etc.

Edited by Elp

Well with all the issues with another well known observatory builder, Search on here for that,  I would be hesitant about paying money up front, especially bank transfer as you have no comeback…so unless you get some really good feedback about the company, I would think twice…

• Like 1

If he has to make up the observatory-shed to your order, rather than supplying from stock, it is reasonable to ask for a deposit. Likewise if delivery is involved.  On the other hand, it is wise to make due diligence checks.  Reviews? Answers the phone? Discloses a street address? Has a website? Company House listing?

Why does the supplier not accept credit or debit cards? 99% of traders do, even street traders and 'Big Issue' sellers.

Also check that the site where the shed is to go is what the supplier is expecting. Concrete base?

Edited by Cosmic Geoff
  • Like 2

This rang a bell with me. The company are in Worksop. About 15 miles away from me.
There was thread on SGL a few months back where a member was considering using the company.
I don't remember the outcome.
You can see their premises on google street view.

Maybe mentioning this will trigger someone's memory.
Maybe even a report of a successful observatory build?

Take a look at the supplier review & DIY observatory sections on SGL.
You can use word search to find old posts. They may be mentioned.

Personally if they are the company that the post above is referring to then for a company not to have credit card payment options is to me a red flag.  Bank transfer is as good as giving them cash.  It means that should something go tits up you have no recourse to get your money back.  With a credit card, any payment or part payment over £100 means you have protection should this company suddenly stop operating and the owner disappears after taking deposits off people.

£2500+ for an observatory does seem steep, but then the cost of building materials has risen a lot  in the past 12 - 18 months, but that seems a lot of cash, especially if you have to provide a base on top.  As mentioned above most building contracts will often ask for a percentage up front to purchase materials, but then based on the name, this company is making sheds anyway so they should have stock of the materials anyway, so can't see why they need to take a payment up front.  At least the amount of deposit is small in relation to the overall cost.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Interesting design... Keep an eye on the ROR section as an unbraced roof will want to drop slightly due to expansion and contraction from heatwaves in the summer and sub zero temps in winter.  Other than that it looks to be a sturdy well build observatory.   Can't see from the pictures, but did you leave a hole in the floor so the mount sits on a solid base?  If not then you may find the flexure of the floor will be transmitted through to the mount and scope.

• Thanks 1

Thanks for posting the pictures. These will be a big help to anyone considering using the company.

A second for the comment by @malc-c about the pier/pillar being on the ground, not shed floor.
When I asked for a hole in the floor of the shed I bought, they thought I was a bit odd!

A suggestion if I may?
When the roofing felt starts to fail - which it will before too long. Do not replace it!
A strange thing to say I know. But use pond liner.

I roofed my roll off using butyl pond liner in 2007. It is still there leak free.
This includes a section that hinges 90 deg every time the roof is opened or closed.

• Like 1

Line the walls with ply/osb or similar.

All looks fine and dandy now on delivery as everything's tight and freshly made/treated , but when it gets to summertime and everything's dried out and shrunk somewhat the sturdy looking shed will become a different and unstable wobbly thing that will have you frustrated/annoyed.

This is coming from someone with nigh-on 40 years experience of designing and building sectional wooden buildings not just some random thought by the way.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Steve Ward said:

All looks fine and dandy now on delivery as everything's tight and freshly made/treated , but when it gets to summertime and everything's dried out and shrunk somewhat the sturdy looking shed will become a different and unstable wobbly thing that will have you frustrated/annoyed.

This is coming from someone with nigh-on 40 years experience of designing and building sectional wooden buildings not just some random thought by the way.

Good advice. Would you insulate the walls or put a membrane behind the OSB? I've watched videos of people using one or the other or both or neither!

It looks a great build 👌 

Where we used to live, I kept the telescopes in a wooden shed, I didn't line it but I did throw lots of good wood preservative over it, both inside and out. It was at least ten years old when we moved, yes it had gaps and shrinkage but on the plus side, as it was more or less at ambient temperature, I never once had to worry about cool down time. 

On the basis that it is telescope related, expect another two weeks of clouds 🤣

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Steve Ward said:

Thank you.

Doing what you said would cost to much money as I would have to hire someone.

On 25/02/2023 at 11:15, malc-c said:

Interesting design... Keep an eye on the ROR section as an unbraced roof will want to drop slightly due to expansion and contraction from heatwaves in the summer and sub zero temps in winter.  Other than that it looks to be a sturdy well build observatory.   Can't see from the pictures, but did you leave a hole in the floor so the mount sits on a solid base?  If not then you may find the flexure of the floor will be transmitted through to the mount and scope.

No hole.

The cost of someone to do it all is to much.

The first room is were a laptop will go.

The second room is were the scope will go.

So there is a very small chance of vibration.

I'm not certain but I spy a crutch in the images. If tezz has mobility challenges, DIY for some of the suggestions may be more than tezz would want to attempt?

Sorry if I'm off base tezz.

Very nice obsy BTW though I'm a bit distressed they didn't put their sliipers on to prevent muddying the floor😉

On 26/02/2023 at 19:45, Steve Ward said:

Alternatively you can just cut diagonal bracing into the framework , easy to do yourself without hiring anyone in .

I could only find these

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Stainless-Brackets-Triangular-Furniture-Connectors/dp/B08PQPPW9X/ref=sr_1_58?crid=3Q6SB7QKQ001X&keywords=wood+braces&qid=1677584476&sprefix=wood+braces%2Caps%2C78&sr=8-58

Any good?

21 hours ago, Swoop1 said:

I'm not certain but I spy a crutch in the images. If tezz has mobility challenges, DIY for some of the suggestions may be more than tezz would want to attempt?

Sorry if I'm off base tezz.

Very nice obsy BTW though I'm a bit distressed they didn't put their sliipers on to prevent muddying the floor😉

Yes i am disabled.

I use a electric wheelchair most of the time.

I have some rubber flooring(black) coming next week.

It was a rainy day so I just let the guys get on with as the have a 4 hour drive home.

• Thanks 1