NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

How big is the Sun compared to a marble?

I have a pet project but I'm not sure how I'd go about it. Bit of a thicko with maths.

Would anybody be able to tell me the scale of the Sun compared to a child's marble, if it was for example 13mm diameter?

I could then try and work out how far away the earth would be making a simple map on the ground by trying to work out the scale of 150,000,000km from the Sun in my marble scale.

Cheers muchly

4 minutes ago, the lemming said:

I have a pet project but I'm not sure how I'd go about it. Bit of a thicko with maths.

Would anybody be able to tell me the scale of the Sun compared to a child's marble, if it was for example 13mm diameter?

I could then try and work out how far away the earth would be making a simple map on the ground by trying to work out the scale of 150,000,000km from the Sun in my marble scale.

Cheers muchly

Edit

To make lifer more easy for me, please make the marble a more easy 10mm.

Sorry

7 hours ago, the lemming said:

If you are trying to explain the scale of our solar system this short video does it quite well. EDIT: Replaced video with one from YouTube as it has more info.

Edited by AstroMuni
  • Like 2

Just tried to work all this out on the calculator for fun. Assuming approximate sizes and distances on Sky Safari are correct:

A 10mm diameter Sun would be 1.060m away and the earth would be a piddly 0.009mm in size, roughly 3 camera pixels wide!

If we reverse the scale and make the earth 10mm wide, then the Sun would be 1.090m wide and be 115.631m away.

To put into scale the vastness of space itself, if the sun was 10mm wide, then our nearest cosmic neighbour, Alpha Centauri, would still be 296.542km away! 🤯

That's like placing a marble sized Sun in London city centre and travelling all the way to Liverpool to get to the 3 marbles that make up Alpha Centauri!

25 minutes ago, david_taurus83 said:

Just tried to work all this out on the calculator for fun. Assuming approximate sizes and distances on Sky Safari are correct:

A 10mm diameter Sun would be 1.060m away and the earth would be a piddly 0.009mm in size, roughly 3 camera pixels wide!

If we reverse the scale and make the earth 10mm wide, then the Sun would be 1.090m wide and be 115.631m away.

:) I'm not really trying to be picky, but it's a personal bugbear of mine, but if you are "assuming approximate distances..."why are you putting the distance accurate to 1mm over 100+ metres? :)  

Being less picky (and anyone can feel free to be picky about me in turn :) ) I have an online calculator that allows the Solar System to be scaled as you wish. 

There are two separate scalings involved (not directly related to each other) but if you choose the size you want for the Sun or any planet) it'll give you the approximate size for the other components of the Solar System

Similarly, if you give it a scale distance for any planet from the Sun, it'll give you the scale distances of all the others,  I made this up when I was making a scale solar system for a Cub Scout group we were visiting.

I tend to reset it to a 10cm size Jupiter (the largest polystyrene ball we could easily get) at a distance of 2.5 metres (we have a 15metre tape measure which is enough to include Neptune)

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1GoGmffEo6rH0E4C0O5qQ-nLCOocw3P8YzHN6r1oW3RQ/edit?usp=sharing 

Edited by Gfamily
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Gfamily said:

:) I'm not really trying to be picky, but it's a personal bugbear of mine, but if you are "assuming approximate distances..."why are you putting the distance accurate to 1mm over 100+ metres? :)  

I did say if the distances quoted by Skysafari were correct..

And given the scale of the objects we are talking about, in my mind, the millimetre matters!

6 minutes ago, david_taurus83 said:

I did say if the distances quoted by Skysafari were correct..

And given the scale of the objects we are talking about, in my mind, the millimetre matters!

Not "1 part in 100,000" matters

• 2 weeks later...