NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Mars 2 hour animation 31st January 2023

lukebl

Hi folks,

I captured this animation of Mars over a period of just over two hours this evening. I haven't viewed Mars for some weeks, and it sure has shrunk. Now only 10.7 arcsecs across, which by my back-of-the-envelope calculations is about the same as a penny at a distance of about 400 metres. However, my maths may be completely wrong!

Captured with a 250mm f/4.8 Newt, 5x Powermate, ASI120MC-S cam. 90 second captures of c. 15000 frames at intervals of 6 minutes captured with Firecapture. Stacked in Autostakkert. Wavelets in Registax. Seeing was a bit wobbly, but quite a few features are visible.

Sometimes when one processes these images, you're never sure if a blob is a real feature or just an imaging artifact. When you animate the images, it's gratifying when they move with the planet proving they're real.

52661753109_f75fd321f8_o.gif

52661029047_55f258b1c4_o.jpg

Edited by lukebl
  • Like 16

• 3 weeks later...