Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Running Man nebulosity?

Marvin Jenkins

Just come in from a freezing back garden coated with snow. 
A really good session with plenty observed. 
M1, M36,M38 The Eskimo nebula and not forgetting a quick peak at Jupiter.

I finished the session observing M42. I have a question. Is it possible to see the nebulosity that makes the Runningman?

The stars there seemed to have an haze around them. I would hate to think that I am seeing it but it only turns out to be a slightly dewy EP😂

Marv

• Like 8

Funny you mention, I was looking at M45 the other night and found myself confused by what I thought may have been nebulosity around the sisters. It was cold and I kept checking my eyepiece 

for fog but it was pretty dark out 🤣 I'll just be happy I saw nebulosity, ignorance really is bliss!.

Edited by Sunshine

G'Day Marv! I can certainly confirm that it is possible to see the nebulosity of NGC 1973/75/77 the Running Man visually. 

I have noticed it many times and also thought that maybe my eyepiece was fogging up ( quite rare over here). The sky was clear of hazy clouds. What I do when I suspect nebulosity around brighter stars is to observe a bright star with no know nebulosity and see if I get the same effect. In this case Canopus was free of nebulosity while going straight back to the Running Man area showed pronounced nebulosity which confirmed to me that it was real! My eyepiece was not fogged up by the way☺️

I believe you did see the real thing👍

Joe

• Like 3

It’s a good question Marv, and like the others I do believe it’s possible in an 8”. Pretty sure I’ve spotted it in a similar scope, and it was definitely there in the 16” tonight.

I must say though, I never truly believe I’m seeing nebulously in M45 because it always looks like a dewed up eyepiece, even though the eyepiece is clear. I’m sure I must be though.

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...
On 20/01/2023 at 14:12, Marvin Jenkins said:

Is it possible to see the nebulosity that makes the Runningma

You can definitely see the Running Man nebulosity, not only this you can see the shape. The other night the H130 showed a glow of nebulosity surrounding it with hints of darker structure in it. In my 200mm and 250mm dobs it all grows with the lanes appearing and in my 15" the shape "is in your face". The shape -arms, leg etc are not difficult.

All this assumes dark skies.

Marvin I have no doubt you saw the glow of nebulosity of the Running Man 👍 Great observing, Gerry

Edited by jetstream
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Ratlet said:

The blob at North might be the running man?

The bottom of your sketch below the circle that says M42 04:36 with that small hint of glow is the Running Man.The top portion of your image near the "N" arrow is M43 Imo. Nice observing, you saw both the Running Man nebulosity and M43, Gerry

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Nice to know us B3 dwellers have just enough eye sight to do it.

Observational astronomy is on the decline, we all know that. It is not a result of AP becoming more popular but just that you need to be driven and dedicated.

Most of all you need dark skies. #jetstream has them but at a cost in life style most country dwellers would run from. I personally would love to have that darkness.

#jet stream, what do you think the Bortle limit would be? I saw repeat nebulosity around the running man with a 5” newt in B3 skies.

Am I seeing things as I think at that aperture you are B1 or better. Just want to say that I am a completely worn wreck at 50 but my eyesight is crazy good. Often I go places with friends and say look at that, and then I spend sixty seconds working out what they are doing.🤣

Marv

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, jetstream said:

You also managed a portion of the lower loop in m42 IMHO👍

I thought THAT was dew on the eyepiece.  I think that the second image might have been some nebulosity on the far side of m42? but here's the full sketc and I think I did get the running man after all?

PSX_20230214_214645.jpg

Edited by Ratlet
My phone autocorrected dew to god 🙄
  • Like 3

4 minutes ago, Marvin Jenkins said:

Nice to know us B3 dwellers have just enough eye sight to do it.

Observational astronomy is on the decline, we all know that. It is not a result of AP becoming more popular but just that you need to be driven and dedicated.

Most of all you need dark skies. #jetstream has them but at a cost in life style most country dwellers would run from. I personally would love to have that darkness.

#jet stream, what do you think the Bortle limit would be? I saw repeat nebulosity around the running man with a 5” newt in B3 skies.

Am I seeing things as I think at that aperture you are B1 or better. Just want to say that I am a completely worn wreck at 50 but my eyesight is crazy good. Often I go places with friends and say look at that, and then I spend sixty seconds working out what they are doing.🤣

Marv

I'm bortle 4-5 in my location.  Facing south it is more bortle 4 according the online stuff.

We are prone to a haze though which absolutely destroys most DSO observing and altitudes (Orion is not much above 25° at best).  Nights like that are why I have ordered a double star book!

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Marvin Jenkins said:

Am I seeing things as I think at that aperture you are B1 or better

I dont use the Bortle system and dislike it as to me it can be very misleading. My sky goes from about 21.5 to 21.9 depending on the snow and ice.I approach NELM 7 using averted vision and I still have good eyes at 60. 

I also use the appearance of the MW- if its shows bright with jagged structure then its going to be a great night, btw the SQM-L will show over .25 mag difference on and off the MW... or more

Yes, you are seeing the Running Man nebulosity for sure!

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Ratlet said:

but here's the full sketc and I think I did get the running man after all?

For sure, you also got something I mistook for it too! Your complete sketch shows it "below" M43. I can tell you what I'm not good at-  following the different orientation types of scopes and sketches can give, I normally describe things as in a newt but some sketchers invert or whatever. You saw a pile of nebulosity in the area, great work.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, jetstream said:

I dont use the Bortle system and dislike it as to me it can be very misleading. My sky goes from about 21.5 to 21.9 depending on the snow and ice.I approach NELM 7 using averted vision and I still have good eyes at 60. 

I also use the appearance of the MW- if its shows bright with jagged structure then its going to be a great night, btw the SQM-L will show over .25 mag difference on and off the MW... or more

Yes, you are seeing the Running Man nebulosity for sure!

Your skies sound amazing. Is there any downside? I understand your dislike of Bortle rating, it is very simplistic and doesn’t translate to properly dark places.

I have not used the other scales but I am in B3 for sure but that is such a broad thing. The atmospheric moisture with three big rivers can fog you out for a month and when not fogged give you seeing that is ….. not seeing.

Running Man again sometime soon for all of us but probably jetstream first.

Marv

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Marvin Jenkins said:

Your skies sound amazing. Is there any downside?

The skies are nice here in NW Ontario, Canada. Near me the dark sky group just designated Quetico NP as a site, same goes for Voyageurs NP in MN, USA a few miles from me.

Downside? I live rural, on a big lake and fish, boat and snowmobile. We just got back from a great sled ride today and tonight we'll be in my home built hot tub. I can drive to cities for a visit, but its sure great to come home here I'll tell you 👍

23 minutes ago, Ratlet said:

I thought THAT was dew on the eyepiece.

You are doing very well, I'm just recently back here from a break induced by other interests and -42c weather ...etc. Years ago in my pursuit of nebula I found a sketcher that sees thing similar to me on some things. Here is Mr Perez's sketch showing the lower loop I (you) see.

Perez M42.jpg

• Like 2

9 hours ago, jetstream said:

My sky goes from about 21.5 to 21.9 depending on the snow and ice.I approach NELM 7

Wow this is impressive skies. Last night at home I thought it seemed pretty dark for here and so I sought out the faintest star I could see with averted vision That was Wasat in Gemini (mag 3.5!).  

• Like 1

8 hours ago, jetstream said:

Downside? I live rural, on a big lake and fish, boat and snowmobile. We just got back from a great sled ride today and tonight we'll be in my home built hot tub. I can drive to cities for a visit, but its sure great to come home here I'll tell you 👍

Don’t forget the bears! 

• Haha 1