Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Insomnia Comet

Littleguy80

In many ways I did this to myself. I've been following the progress of C/2022 E3 (ZTF) and thinking about when I might get the chance to observe it. Before I went to bed, I noted the cloudy skies were due to clear before dawn. I even went to sleep uncharacteristically early. However, with work in the morning, I didn't set an alarm. When I woke unexpectedly around 4am, I couldn't resist a little look out the window. The stars looked back at me and I thought about going out. Then I got back into bed for 5mins before realising I was powerless to resist the urge to observe :D 

I started with my 10x50 bins, the Moon was quite bright and high in the sky so I wasn't sure if it was worth getting a scope out. I found the keystone in Hercules, then M13 within it, a few small star hops later I found Comet C/2022 E3 (ZTF). It was every bit as obvious in the bins as M13. Decision made, I spent a few mins bringing my 10" dob outside. As with the bins, I started at M13. Then using the 9x50 finder, I followed the same path to the comet. Even in the finder, it was an easy spot. Through the eyepiece it was superb. There was a definite tail to it with a nice bright core. A smattering of brighter stars around created a lovely view. It's not in the same league as Neowise but the best Comet since I believe. After playing around with various eyepieces, I decided to try another target. NGC6210 is a great planetary nebula. I think I've seen it referred to as a the green turtle nebula. It's certainly green to my eyes but I wasn't seeing the turtle! Even at low powers it was clearly not stellar.

Next I decided to return to another comet  that I have recently observed, C/2020 V2 (ZTF). This is currently residing in Cassiopeia and is much dimmer. A little extra magnification helped with the initial sighting. Then I dropped all the way down to a 30mm eyepiece so I could pick up the large open cluster Collinder 463 in the same FOV as the comet. I'm sure this would have made a great image. In the eyepiece they were on opposite sides but still made an enjoyable view. For a final treat before before bed, I had a quick observation of NGC 457, the Owl Cluster. It looked really crisp in the 30mm eyepiece. Always a crowd pleaser. After this, I finally made it back into bed for a couple more hours sleep before work.

• Like 19

Thanks Neil.

I was half-prepared to try a bino observation a few clear mornings ago, but he full moon put me off and I stayed in bed. Now you've confirmed it's visible, I'll be keeping my eyes on the weather forecasts again.

Comparison with M13 is a good one. Should be pretty easy to find.

• Thanks 1

If you get another clear morning soon, C/2022 A2 (PANSTARRS) is currently estimated to be mag. 9.5 and is in Draco, not far from C/2022 E3 (ZTF).

I've not seen it yet, but I'm hoping to target it before long - cloud-permitting! Looking forward to having another look at C/2022 E3 (ZTF) too.

Regards, Mike.

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Alan White said:

That's a super unexpected session for you Neil.
I must say the going back to bed after and getting some sleep souned a good ending,
if I were to do the same I would be awake for the whole day once up.

Thanks Alan. I'm normally the same as you with the getting back to sleep but seems like I tired myself out with all that observing :) 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Pixies said:

Thanks Neil.

I was half-prepared to try a bino observation a few clear mornings ago, but he full moon put me off and I stayed in bed. Now you've confirmed it's visible, I'll be keeping my eyes on the weather forecasts again.

Comparison with M13 is a good one. Should be pretty easy to find.

Well worth a go when you can. It was obvious in the Bins and the 9x50 finder even with the bright moon. I'd tried for it a couple of weeks back when it was much lower and failed so it's brightened a lot.

6 hours ago, mcrowle said:

If you get another clear morning soon, C/2022 A2 (PANSTARRS) is currently estimated to be mag. 9.5 and is in Draco, not far from C/2022 E3 (ZTF).

I've not seen it yet, but I'm hoping to target it before long - cloud-permitting! Looking forward to having another look at C/2022 E3 (ZTF) too.

Regards, Mike.

Thanks Mike. Will definitely give C/2022 A2 a shot :) 

Great report!

I'm hoping to get a clear sky soon to bag E3. I have imaged V2 but very unspectacular with my skills!!

There are a few very nice images of E3 appearing now so looking like it's going to be worth the wait! 

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Paul M said:

Great report!

I'm hoping to get a clear sky soon to bag E3. I have imaged V2 but very unspectacular with my skills!!

There are a few very nice images of E3 appearing now so looking like it's going to be worth the wait! 

Thanks Paul. I’m planning on trying to get a picture of it too. I won’t call what I do imaging for fear of ruining the good name of imaging 😂

• Like 1

Great report. I try to take a day or so annual leave most months around new moon. Often the weather scuppers me however occasionally I strike lucky, so fingers are crossed for Friday 20.01.23 (and Saturday) in the vain hope the weather will be kind...

427073449_Screenshot_20230112-1945202.thumb.png.bdbb2afdebce3487f22d0b08fedc0c9b.png

Edited by ScouseSpaceCadet
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1