NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

SW AZ-EQ6GT

Figgis

Hello All.

In the midst of a mount upgrade, I find myself drawn to the AZ-EQ6 GT from Skywatcher.  I've seen all the Youtube vids, read all the reviews and bumf, and can't find anything bad so far.  Anyone here heard any Horror Stories or Woe before I hand over the Readies?  My favourite Emporium will whisk me one over for £1,700, but before I click pay, are there any more Mounts I should look at to compare features etc.  Most usage will be an 8" Imaging Newty, Planetary, Lunar, not too much DS, I live in London.

I use my AZEQ6 pretty much exclusively in Altaz mode for planetary/lunar imaging because:

A - saddle is lower so it’s easier to get my 12” newt on there 

B - I’ve no view of Polaris and the AZ mode setup doesn’t require a view of Polaris. 

No horror stories I’m afraid. Has worked faultlessly since I bought it last year and tracks incredibly accurately after a 2 star alignment (planets barely drift even at over 5m focal length). 

• Like 2

I’ve had mine for several years and it’s always (more or less) performed well. I use mine solely in equatorial mode.

Two issues I am aware of, both of which I have experienced and heard reported from others. 

1. With clutches off the mount movement can still be somewhat stiff.  This makes balancing the mount a somewhat more approximate business compared with say the iOptron mounts.  Mind you, I’d not buy an iOptron for other reasons.

2. Several people have reported a quirk when using the handset.   After switch on, and doing polar alignment,  some people find the mount can point in totally the wrong direction (i.e. at the ground) for star alignment. The work-around is to return the mount to the home position, switch the mount off and then on again.  This may not affect or concern you in AZ mode and anyway it’s an idiosyncrasy rather than a show stopping fault. I don’t know whether this ‘feature’ still happens with newer mounts or they’ve corrected it.

In general though I’d say the mount is a goodun. 

• Like 1

In my observatory, I have an AZ-EQ6 (my own) next to an EQ6-R (my friend’s). Both perform about the same. The EQ6 is two years younger and guides perhaps ~0.1” better. In my opinion, the EQ-6 has altitude adjustment bolts that are clumsier, while the alt adjustment on the AZ-EQ6 can almost get blocked by the telescope (newtonian), ie the lever can be difficult to pull out and push back in. I bought the mount because at the time it was one of few affordable mounts that could be adjusted to >60 degrees north without bending the alt bolts, and it was ”future proof”.

Edited by wimvb
  • Like 1

My unit of the AZ-EQ6 is not a particularly good one, but its by no means a bad mount. The RA worm has a very steep part twice every period where guiding needs to be either predictive or very quick in exposures to not have a bad sub (several arcseconds over about 20s).

The predictive PEC algorithm in PHD2 and 3 or 4 second guide exposures with an OAG seems to work all right with maybe a little hiccup every now and then. Total RMS error has been below 0.5" on nights of good seeing, but usually i see it hover around 0.6-0.8. All with an 8" newtonian not shielded from wind so i guess its ok, but many have better performance so im guessing i lost the mount lottery with mine.

Would recommend, but beware that it is not a premium mount.

• Like 1

I bought my Alt az eq6 just over six years ago to use with an 8" SW 200p. Subsequently got a SW190mn (same size but significantly heavier).

I have never used the alt az mode, but in eq mode it usually guides about 0.6" with occasional sub 0.5 "  sessions on nights of very good seeing. 

So far, it just works. Mostly used in the back garden but has been taken out to a dark sky site on several occasions. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Figgis said:

Thank-you everyone for your time and comments, I've bought one, but have still yet to fire it up due to Ill-health. Bah.

Just seen this thread ... i own one of these but was about to sell it , only because lifting the damn thing up and down stairs is a chore . The mount itself is faultless in my opinion . I mainly use it in Alt-Az but on the occasions when its been in EQ mode the tracking is great . One upgrade you may want to consider is getting an ADM clamp . Also i like many others did away with the handset and bought a wifi dongle , and used the synscan app which seems to work fine .  Anyway , i hope you enjoy using the mount . 

I got a good deal on mine, £1,700.00 from my favourite Emporium in the land of Rother.  But I will need tto factor in another 25k Annually for an Astronomy Assistant, she is quite weighty isn't she.  Thanks for the tip on the ADM, I'm a bit of a brand Snob so let's see what Baader have, but I like the design of those so BP better up the ante.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Congrats with the mount. The only issue that I can think of is maybe the weight, otherwise for the price it's a great mount.

Regarding the clamp, that's a good advice. I'm still using the stock clamp which works oke. But an upgrade to ADM or Baader makes life easier, especially if you are mounting heavy loads on the mount.

I bought mine back in August 2019 (Pre Covid and just as the prices went up, luckily I got mine at the old price (Thanks Tring Astro Centre!) They also supplied a suitable mains power supply and a Wi-Fi dongle.

Yes, it costs more than the EQ6R, but the latitude adjustment system is well worth the extra you have to pay... in my opinion.

Never understood why you would entrust the entire weight of the EQ head, plus any kit you have on it, to a couple of M8 bolts in a threaded casting. So easy to strip the threads as some have experienced.

The AZEQ6GT Pro option is a much better engineered solution and is so easy to adjust.

My mount is pier mounted and set in equatorial mode (not used Alt-Az option) and lives in a 2-piece mini-observatory, that lifts off.

Only had a couple of glitches when using the handset, but after reading through the instruction manual (and a few YouTube vids) the error has been down to me, incorrect data input, hit the wrong key etc. (I've since found it useful to write out an 'idiot sheet' listing all the steps you go through when starting up and shutting down again, well worth the effort. Less errors that way).

So far, have only used the dongle a couple of times, but worked fine with my Smartphone (Android).

Also the 'grease' used in the bearings can make both axis stick, so first thing I do before mounting any kit is to release each axis in turn and rotate fully in both directions to break the 'sticktion' that can occur. Moves smoothly after that. (No doubt a strip down and re-grease will happen at some point!)

Only changes I have made are:

1. Replace the cigarette lighter plug/socket arrangement for a Waterproof Junction Box, IP68 Waterproof Cable Connector.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07SPVGLRV/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

2. Upgrade the saddle for the ADM option, kit seems more securely held.
https://www.firstlightoptics.com/adm-replacement-saddles/adm-dual-saddle-upgrade-for-heq5-neq6-avx-zeq-ioptron.html

In use it tracks smoothly and very, very quietly!

Overall... very impressed/pleased with it.

I just wish the weather would improve so I can use it more!

Hope that helps.

Chaxastro

"Humour is reason gone mad" Grouch Marx

• 1 month later...

A few of you have said you have bought a WiFi Dongle for this Girl.  I have one for my EQ5 that I upgraded but my 6 runs Synscan without it.  Did they not include WiFi in the earlier Mounts then it seems?