NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Mars map from 2022

Kon

This has been my first serious season of imaging and captures have varied in quality due to weather  but I thought it would be fun to make a map of Mars from the 2022 captures. I combined my best captures into a pan using winjupos and Gimp. I think the blending has worked well except the left panel as I did not have the original file to correct the colour. Very pleased with this result. Clouds clearly changed during the different captures. These captures  are mostly from mid November to December.

image.png.4b8589802de124a4059a83d08b4e8f0c.png

image.png.c4596e5ddd33d3bc09ceee2348645f66.png

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, geoflewis said:

That's excellent Kostas. I tried to produce something similar in 2020, but had too many gaps. Not sure if I've the entire Mars globe covered this time either, but I'll try to complete it again this year.

Thanks Geof. With your images, you should get a fantastic map. Looking forward to it if you do manage to make it. As you know, it is tedious work to try get every image same colour balanced and brightness. Very annoyed with the left panel!

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Kon said:

Thanks Geof. With your images, you should get a fantastic map. Looking forward to it if you do manage to make it. As you know, it is tedious work to try get every image same colour balanced and brightness. Very annoyed with the left panel!

Yes, it's definitely a difficult challenge getting all the data and then being able to process them to a similar standard. As with the last apparition I seem to get lots of the same view and then nothing much else. I onlt have a coupke of Syrtis Mons this time around and quite poor quality. Part f the reason why I've kept at it the last few nights is to stretch the width of what I have from the current aspect. It's also been too cold for me to continue late into the night past midnight even if clear the past few nights.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, geoflewis said:

Yes, it's definitely a difficult challenge getting all the data and then being able to process them to a similar standard. As with the last apparition I seem to get lots of the same view and then nothing much else. I onlt have a coupke of Syrtis Mons this time around and quite poor quality. Part f the reason why I've kept at it the last few nights is to stretch the width of what I have from the current aspect. It's also been too cold for me to continue late into the night past midnight even if clear the past few nights.

😉 got you! I hope you will manage to get the full disc.

I am planning to pause in the next 1-2 weeks and focus on visual for a while.  Planets are getting past their best for imaging and the weather is not in our favour. I will probably wait for Venus and Mercury. ISS is another favourite to image and it is in good timings during the Christmas break.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, mikeDnight said:

That's a great achievement and immensely valuable to amateur imagers and visual observers alike. :thumbsup::icon_cyclops_ani:

Thanks Mike. I am glad it may be of help to some people. I should try annotate some of the key features at some point.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CraigT82 said:

That is excellent, not only the detail but the blending of the panels too, really nice work well done 👍🏼 

Thanks. Yes very happy except...well...that left panel 😡! For a first attempt it turned out a lot better than I thought.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Space Cowboy said:

Brilliant job Kostas! I never thought someone using a manual Dob could produce a level of detail like this.

Thanks Stuart. I have enjoyed growing into this aspect of astronomy and I hope next year I can produce something better. We need better weather! 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Neil_104 said:

That's excellent work - well done! I've been trying to create a map from sketches but due to the weather it's a very small map so far !!

Thanks. Oh I like the sound of that. Are you planning to scan your sketches and stitch them together or draw the whole map projection from all of your sketches? Looking forward to it.

• Thanks 1

49 minutes ago, Kon said:

Thanks. Oh I like the sound of that. Are you planning to scan your sketches and stitch them together or draw the whole map projection from all of your sketches? Looking forward to it.

Yeah was planning on re-sketching the entire map from individual observations, but hadn't considered scanning & stitching so something to keep in mind. But this is if I ever get to extend my observations of course!

• Like 2