Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Mars - 10 Dec 2022

geoflewis

A couple of days past opposition, but still effectively 100% phase, I looked outside after the disappointment of the football and the sky was largely clear, so I had another try at Mars. I think this is possibly the best seeing I've had this year (certainly better than that referee...!!).

The fog had mostly lifted from what had been less that 100m visility late afternoon, but there was still a slight haze over the Moon. I think these continetal highs with stable cold air really work for planetary imaging. I stuck with 3 min captures at 3ms, each separately stacked, with the resulting images de-rotated in WinJupos. I know that @neil phillips suggests that going longer and then de-rotating the SER will yield finer results, but I'm finding that the file sizes after de-rotating SERS are huge and processing them is more problematic (I don't know why that is as I have a fast gaming laptop with lots of RAM). Anyway, here is the result being 30k frames total intergration, (best 10k from 60k for each SER).

2022-12-10-2213_8-GDL-RGB-LD65_R6(1-2-4)_AFP.jpg.ba120cdc5e3d2b87ceefce3806d611e0.jpg

I'm particularly pleased to see the peak of Olympus Mons just showing through. I did try pushing the sharpening harder, which showed Olympus Mons peak better, but the darker regions started to look blocky and arteficial.

I continued imaging for another 30 mins, but the fog started to thicken again and seeing deteriorated, so whilst probably still better than some other sessions, this is the best one from the night.

Edited by geoflewis
  • Like 19

10 minutes ago, Kon said:

Excellent! Love the details and natural appearance. One of the best Mars I have recently seen.

I got out last night but Mars had no features in my captures and I abandoned it.

Thanks Kostas, I did wonder about capturing longer SERs, as recommended by Neil, but as I mentioned above, I find them tricky to process and my experience of running them through PIPP for quality grading is patchy, with resultant very big files that get even bigger after de-rotating in Jupos, so I think I'm now settled on this methodology. It's a pity that the seeing wasn't good enough for you, maybe tonight 🤞.

20 minutes ago, JeremyS said:

Great to see a Couple of your images futures during Sky Notes at yesterday’s BAA Christmas Meeting in London @geoflewis 👍🏻 

Really, that's great , thanks for letting me know. Which images were they, Mars or Jupiter? Do these Sky Notes get published on BAA site anywhere?

8 minutes ago, geoflewis said:

Really, that's great , thanks for letting me know. Which images were they, Mars or Jupiter? Do these Sky Notes get published on BAA site anywhere?

I’ll leave you to find out Geof 😊 The video of the mtg is on the BAA YouTube channel here (Nick James’ Sky Notes talk starts at 2h55min)

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, JeremyS said:

I’ll leave you to find out Geof 😊 The video of the mtg is on the BAA YouTube channel here (Nick James’ Sky Notes talk starts at 2h55min)

Thanks Jeremy, I didn't even know that the BAA had a YT channel 🙄, so I've just subscribed.....👍

10 minutes ago, geoflewis said:

Thanks Jeremy, I didn't even know that the BAA had a YT channel 🙄, so I've just subscribed.....👍

👍🏻There are dozens of talks on there. I’m pretty sure I’ve seen other images of yours in other Sky Notes

Edited by JeremyS
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, JeremyS said:

👍🏻There are dozens of talks on there. I’m pretty sure I’ve seen other images of yours in other Sky Notes

Thanks Jeremy, I just took a look at the Sky Notes - I had no idea..... 😊. I'll have a dig through some of the others and watch them on my 65" Sony OLED TV...., so much better than on my laptop. I really should try to get along to one of the meetings, but it's a long way from Norfolk and will be an all day affair, if not overnight.....

• Like 1

1 hour ago, geoflewis said:

Thanks Jeremy, I just took a look at the Sky Notes - I had no idea..... 😊. I'll have a dig through some of the others and watch them on my 65" Sony OLED TV...., so much better than on my laptop. I really should try to get along to one of the meetings, but it's a long way from Norfolk and will be an all day affair, if not overnight.....

Long trek for me from Chester, too, but worthwhile Geof. The Institute of Physics is a super venue. Being Christmas, there was also some festive gatherings afterwards 

The next one is Jan 21st https://britastro.org/event/iop-jan2023

• Thanks 1

50 minutes ago, JeremyS said:

Long trek for me from Chester, too, but worthwhile Geof. The Institute of Physics is a super venue. Being Christmas, there was also some festive gatherings afterwards 

The next one is Jan 21st https://britastro.org/event/iop-jan2023

Do you and others stay overnight somewhere? I couldn't have come to this one, as I'm still recovering from Covid. Also trains are not easy from where I live in the sticks and I wouldn't want to drive into London.

2 hours ago, geoflewis said:

Do you and others stay overnight somewhere? I couldn't have come to this one, as I'm still recovering from Covid. Also trains are not easy from where I live in the sticks and I wouldn't want to drive into London.

Most ppl do a day trip. However if I happen to be working in London I might stay over.

I wish you well for getting over Covid 

• Thanks 1