NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

That Mars/Moon thing last night - Video with some pics - 08-12-2022

ArmyAirForce

A video from my 200PDS and ASI120MC-S, of the start and end of the occultation, with a few still images stacked from the capture video.

I set up and did some test captures on Wednesday evening to check exposure settings, then closed up the observatory until 4am.

I also caught an owl transit at the same time as the occultation on my other scope!

221208_mars6.jpg

Edited by ArmyAirForce
additional picture added
  • Like 21

2 hours ago, geoflewis said:

.......I went back to bed as clouds rolled in and the Moon was setting into trees anyway

Thanks. I closed up the obsy around 22:00hrs on Wednesday and it was clouding over then, giving the Moon a huge halo. It stayed that way for several hours, but was forecast to clear. I didn't go to bed, just tried to rest on the sofa ( I'm not good at getting up, so prefer to just stay up ). I had a look out of the window at 03:30hrs and it was completely clear, so had a coffee, then went out to open the roof and switch everything on again at 04:00hrs.

It was FREEZING out there and even the observatory door lock froze, but I'm pleased I made the effort.

221207_moon1.jpg

Edited by ArmyAirForce
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

57 minutes ago, ArmyAirForce said:

even the observatory door lock froze, but I'm pleased I made the effort.

I'd considerred that possibility, so had already unlocked during the day. I did have issues with the roof though as the build of frost under the rollers kept causing the roof opening to abort and close. It took about 5 attemps to get it fully open, but as you say, it was worth it.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...