Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Anyone else getting the cloud blues?!

Chaz2b

I guess that buying more scopes would bring this on, but quite frankly I think that FLO can come and collect their clouds.

With all my scopes around me, my nerves are getting edgy, I need to see the sky again. My latest purchase is a Celestron Regal 100 F-ED spotting scope. Utilising a fluorite objective I’m desperate to look through it. 
T’was bad enough last week with the dense fog we had… just need to cheer up really.

chazzzzz

Ya it's been rough, my son and I recently got into AP and were rabidly watching the forecasts. We got a good solid few weeks in then everything changed. It didn't help either that he had the FLU during the perhaps last solid week of the season. Looking ahead it's cloudy, rainy and snowy into the next week. 

A clear spell…a clear spell!

Well that was an underwhelming event! Took the Regal outside, Mars is up so is the moon and Jupiter. There was yellow fringing to the bottom of the moon, Mars and Jupiter were no more than coloured marbles, and when I looked around the eyepiece there was an area of unfocused colour that would follow my eye around the planets edge! Hmmm, a bit of over expectation? Perhaps later I’ll look up dso’s and then terrestrial viewing.

The scope was supplied with a Manfrotto tripod, not man enough! Needs a proper mount for this weight.

23 hours ago, Trippelforge said:

Ya it's been rough, my son and I recently got into AP and were rabidly watching the forecasts. We got a good solid few weeks in then everything changed. It didn't help either that he had the FLU during the perhaps last solid week of the season. Looking ahead it's cloudy, rainy and snowy into the next week. 

Is that common for your part of the world? Weather wise not the Flu.

chaz

I had a brief clear slot last night, well it was really early evening, just long enough for me to check the collimation of the ODK 12, and find out that the collimation had either slipped or wasn't as good as I thought it was.

This is a bit of a bother as it will mean taking the camera off and rebalancing the rig in order to carry out a collimation, and probably a re- spacing of the mirrors.

Bother, bother, bother. Or naughty words to that effect.

I had a look on a few occasions, but there was quite a lot of cloud. Where it was clear the sky was so bright that only a handful of the brighter stars were visible. No point in opening the obsy.

I had my first session in ages last night- finally got to see Mars at decent altitude and in decent seeing. Weather forecasts have been next to useless recently- forecasting full on clouds and then finding out when it’s too late to bother setting up that it’s clear or forecasting clear and then seeing wall to wall cloud…

I hear the skies are usually clear in Arizona?

I haven't bothered getting my scopes in months because of it. It's either cloudy, too hazy to see much, or the full moon wipes everything out. The all sky camera has shown a couple of recent properly clear spells between 3am and 6am but not much at a convenient  time

50 minutes ago, Mognet said:

I haven't bothered getting my scopes in months because of it. It's either cloudy, too hazy to see much, or the full moon wipes everything out. The all sky camera has shown a couple of recent properly clear spells between 3am and 6am but not much at a convenient  time

My work has me doing 0600 to 1800 shifts every 2 months.  I've been getting up at 0230 to get some quick observation in.  Brilliant time to get going, if you can get into the swing of waking up that early.

I don’t know where you guys live but I have been out at least once week since September, twice this week (last night was so clear with excellent seeing).

Wednesday through to Saturday next week looks great too.

Weather on Mars must be rubbish, a lot of the detail has disappeared in the last few days…. Sandstorm season I guess 

Edited by Moonlit Knight