Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Mars before opposition (27/11/22)

Kon

I managed a pretty decent Mars session last night. A few more days before opposition but Mars is looking nearly full. Hard to get good focus due to jetstream but I think this might be my best Mars this season. Three videos of 5min each derotated in winjupos. There are new clouds in the southern polar cap. There might be some a storm at around 7oclock or part of the southern polar cap clouds? Original and 150% resized. Happy for your critique on sharpening and colours/brightness; I have seen a lot more saturated images and brighter online but not sure where to stop. 8" Dob, manual, asi462mc, UV/IR cut filter, 2.5x TV powermate.

image.png.75a446face3433df8b21bb9808aa0d25.pngimage.png.2255a71d5a9cf173a507f0c1466baeaa.png

Edited by Kon
  • Like 27

49 minutes ago, NenoVento said:

Hi @Kon,

I'm glad you (and @Fedele the next day) also got the clouds by Mars' South pole. I wasn't sure they were really there or artifacts from my processing.

Regards,

NV

Yes there seems to be a change going on at the south cap. Let's hope for more clear and stable nights.

1 hour ago, Fedele said:

was clouds. visible also in screen during the recording or by eyes  at EP

Yes same here, it was in the capture window as well. You must have had good seeing to see at the EP as i could only make the darker features last night and a hint of the N polar cap. 

2 hours ago, Kon said:

I managed a pretty decent Mars session last night. A few more days before opposition but Mars is looking nearly full. Hard to get good focus due to jetstream but I think this might be my best Mars this season. Three videos of 5min each derotated in winjupos. There are new clouds in the southern polar cap. There might be some a storm at around 7oclock or part of the southern polar cap clouds? Original and 150% resized. Happy for your critique on sharpening and colours/brightness; I have seen a lot more saturated images and brighter online but not sure where to stop. 8" Dob, manual, asi462mc, UV/IR cut filter, 2.5x TV powermate.

image.png.75a446face3433df8b21bb9808aa0d25.pngimage.png.2255a71d5a9cf173a507f0c1466baeaa.png

Those are very good Mars images Kostas. Glad to see someone is getting a look, as I’ve had no chance for several days now and it’s not looking likely for some days to come :sad2:

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, geoflewis said:

Those are very good Mars images Kostas. Glad to see someone is getting a look, as I’ve had no chance for several days now and it’s not looking likely for some days to come :sad2:

Thanks Geof. Yes awful weather. I was planning a few more videos but by midnight it was impossible to get focus. Tonight and the rest of the week is looking awful. I hope you get some clear skies soon.

• Like 1

Looking great, maybe these could use a bit more saturation but then again had you not mentioned it i wouldn't have thought that, so maybe not after all.

I do wish the clouds on Earth would find somewhere else to go so i could look at the ones on Mars!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, neil phillips said:

Very interesting. If this weather ever lets up, we could get some more images to see more of those changes. Quite revealing on your images there Kon. Good catch despite the UK sabotage skies 

Thanks. I was very surprised how well it came out. I think the derotation helped a lot; still visible in the single captures but popped much nicer. I think we are all hoping for that break in th weather.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, ONIKKINEN said:

Looking great, maybe these could use a bit more saturation but then again had you not mentioned it i wouldn't have thought that, so maybe not after all.

I do wish the clouds on Earth would find somewhere else to go so i could look at the ones on Mars!

Thanks. I always question the true colour balance and what others perceive more pleasing to the eye. So many versions on colour. I tried to up the saturation a bit as you suggested but in my eyes it started looking too 'coloured'.

Yes we need the clouds to part for a while.

• Like 1

Tremendous detail in those!

Personally I wouldn't sharpen that much because of the limb artifact issue but you could use selective sharpening in image analyser to avoid the artifact popping out. I find the rind tends to flatten the image so you lose the globe effect.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

55 minutes ago, Space Cowboy said:

Tremendous detail in those!

Personally I wouldn't sharpen that much because of the limb artifact issue but you could use selective sharpening in image analyser to avoid the artifact popping out. I find the rind tends to flatten the image so you lose the globe effect.

Thanks for the suggestion. I need to play with image analyser more (I saw your other comment in your post about colour vibrance as well).

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, skyhog said:

Cracking image, and thanks for allowing me to see Mars,  permanently sat under fog here.....

Thank you. Yes awful at the moment. It is not looking good for the next seven days either.

8 minutes ago, Space Cowboy said:

Were these created from derotation of images? I'm just curious of that limb artefact on both sides because I've got an image just the same after derotation of a 12 min video.

Yes from derotated images. I could see some of the limb around after wavelets even on the single images before derotation. I am not sure it is due to our current seeing if it is impacting it more. I am not using an ADC so it could be some of the noise from the 'boiling' effect we have. I noticed in a previous post that when seeing was decent, the limp artefact was less pronounced. Others with more experience here, might be able to comment.

6 hours ago, Kon said:

Yes from derotated images. I could see some of the limb around after wavelets even on the single images before derotation. I am not sure it is due to our current seeing if it is impacting it more. I am not using an ADC so it could be some of the noise from the 'boiling' effect we have. I noticed in a previous post that when seeing was decent, the limp artefact was less pronounced. Others with more experience here, might be able to comment.

It's the derotation that's caused the artefact in my case just wondered if yours was the same but if you say it was there before derotation then it's obviously a coincidence. 🙂

11 hours ago, Space Cowboy said:

It's the derotation that's caused the artefact in my case just wondered if yours was the same but if you say it was there before derotation then it's obviously a coincidence. 🙂

Thats been my experience too. Extra rind after de rotation

5 hours ago, neil phillips said:

Thats been my experience too. Extra rind after de rotation

I'm thinking in my case it was too much field rotation for winjupos to handle on a 12 min video.  Though it was two 6 min vids stitched together. Maybe the few secs gap in-between caused an issue. Did cross my mind if Kostas video also had a gap caused by losing frames in pipp after chip drift frames had been removed but if he's not used video derotation then that's not the case.

17 minutes ago, Space Cowboy said:

I'm thinking in my case it was too much field rotation for winjupos to handle on a 12 min video.  Though it was two 6 min vids stitched together. Maybe the few secs gap in-between caused an issue. Did cross my mind if Kostas video also had a gap caused by losing frames in pipp after chip drift frames had been removed but if he's not used video derotation then that's not the case.

I am not sure why in my case was there. I usually shoot 5 min videos but I derotate the image. I have not tried with derogating videos. I have a few sec gaps as i recenter in my manual capture. This is what came out of registax with only 20% wavelets before going into winjupos with the rest of the images. The rind is there. Stacking artefact possibly?

image.png.7843187b814e9d8920d8664f7c51c162.png

4 hours ago, Space Cowboy said:

You will know more than me about that Stuart.

23 hours ago, Kon said:

I am not sure why in my case was there. I usually shoot 5 min videos but I derotate the image. I have not tried with derogating videos. I have a few sec gaps as i recenter in my manual capture. This is what came out of registax with only 20% wavelets before going into winjupos with the rest of the images. The rind is there. Stacking artefact possibly?

image.png.7843187b814e9d8920d8664f7c51c162.png

Would be interesting to see the unsharpened TIFF image straight after AS3!

I had a play with your image in image analyser. Terrific data youve got there!

Kostas Mars.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Space Cowboy said:

Would be interesting to see the unsharpened TIFF image straight after AS3!

I had a play with your image in image analyser. Terrific data youve got there!

Kostas Mars.png

That looks miles better than what I got. Unfortunately, I realised that I deleted the folder as I was making space on my hd for the latest capture. Still very interested what you did with it. If you have the time and energy to let me know the steps in a message that will be fantastic!