NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Which Alt-Az Mount?

great_bear

Does anyone have thoughts on the relative merits of these three mounts (it will be for a 150PL scope):

Which is best?
(it will sit on a Berlebach Planet)
- Is there much difference in smoothness/stability?
- Do any fall into the “avoid” category?

My 150PL is a heavy scope (maybe 7Kg) so minor differences in smoothness will probably make little difference. 
(I am currently using a Sky-Watcher AZ4 head and it has too much backlash and wobble with this long, heavy scope)

Happy to hear alternative suggestions too. 

Edited by great_bear

Just replaced my Porta II for an APZ and its impressive. I'm using a 4" ED @ 5.5kg and what I like about the APZ is the friction control (no axis locks) and super smooth slow motions with zero backlash. It's not cheap and is rated at only 8kg so if you plan to use heavier equipment in the future the SW Skytee II will carry much more weight (and multiple scopes) though is quite "rustic" compared to the Vixen. Can't comment on the Castor having never used one but folk speak very highly of them and Berlebach make quality gear.

Edited by Franklin
  • Like 1

39 minutes ago, great_bear said:

Does anyone have thoughts on the relative merits of these three mounts (it will be for a 150PL scope):

Which is best?
(it will sit on a Berlebach Planet)
- Is there much difference in smoothness/stability?
- Do any fall into the “avoid” category?

My 150PL is a heavy scope (maybe 7Kg) so minor differences in smoothness will probably make little difference. 
(I am currently using a Sky-Watcher AZ4 head and it has too much backlash and wobble with this long, heavy scope)

Happy to hear alternative suggestions too. 

My 150PL is rock solid and wobble free when mounted on my SkyTee2 on a 2” tripod, even in breezy weather. Interestingly I recently tried the same scope on my AZ4 with 1.75” tripod and, as you found, it was too wobbly to be fun. The SkyTee is a big step up. I have the Mini-Giro with is I believe the same as the Castor under the skin - it is too lightweight to carry a 150PL (it only weighs 1.5kg versus the 6kg of the Skytee). 

The Skytee is hard to beat for value for money - note that you will probably want to budget for replacing the saddle(s). I’ve had mine many years and although I’d love a premium mount like the Rowan, I am really struggling to justify it when the Skytee does the job. 

The APZ looks really nice though, would love to try one. 🙂

Edited by RobertI
  • Like 1

That’s a very long scope. I would go for the SW and use a counter balance. It’s not weight you need to worry about, it’s long arm action that needs to concern you. It’s why a short tube refractor is easier to mount than a long tube of a similar weight 

On 19/11/2022 at 17:07, great_bear said:

Anyone used that Vixen at all?

I have the AP mount which is rated at 6kg and sure enough the little SD81 is made for it but the SD103 is a touch too much IMO even though it weighs in at under 6kg. I picked up the APZ base unit to transform the mount to the APZ which with manual motions is rated at 8kg. Still, to carry the SD103 I use the full counterweight bar from the AP rather than the APZ nosepiece weight and I set it on the SXG HAL130 with 1/2 pillar and it performs really well, the slo-mos are buttery smooth and the friction control is a pleasure to use.

There is an in-depth review of the AP, in all its configurations here. 

https://reflexions.jp/tenref/astro/equipment/mount/7744/

This guy even puts an 8" CAT on it! Don't know about that!

Edited by Franklin

4 minutes ago, Space Hopper said:

I would avoid all of them.

None are really suitable to carry a 1200mm focal length scope with that movement arc.

And surely, you'd also have insufficient tripod clearance ; the long scope would be hitting the tripod legs ?

The 150PL definitely hits the tripod legs with the Skytee, a pedestal tripod would solve the problem and I have considered getting one, but I’ve heard varying reports of how good the skywatcher is. The Skytee handles my 150PL easily, it’s just the tripod that’s the problem. 

23 hours ago, Moonlit Knight said:

I would look also at something like a Giro III 

Afaik GIII is out of production. Giro Ercole is my recommendation.

I would also consider Berlebach Planet with geared column (K70) in order to avoid hitting the legs.

Edited by pavel_s
update

On 26/11/2022 at 17:35, Moonlit Knight said:

That’s a very long scope. I would go for the SW and use a counter balance. It’s not weight you need to worry about, it’s long arm action that needs to concern you. It’s why a short tube refractor is easier to mount than a long tube of a similar weight 

Spot on and I’m thankful for the fine, fair, discount, Tes, Co, operates 🙂

• Haha 1