Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Hi from Scotland

Joef

Hi, I live in Scotland and have had a keen interest in the planets, especially the moon for a long while. Have just bought a Skywatcher Skymax 127 AZ goto telescope. Haven’t had a lot of opportunity so far to really use it, just a look at the moon during the day, I was very impressed. Unfortunately my mode of camera use is my iPhone X held against the eyepiece, so my pictures were over exposed, top of the shopping list will be the T mount for my DSLR. but nonetheless V happy with it. 

• Like 5

25 minutes ago, Joef said:

but nonetheless V happy with it.

Welcome to SGL!  A cracking little scope.

It's worth persevering with the phone if you want to keep it simple for a while.  A phone cradle to keep it steady on the eyepiece can be very useful.  It lets you play with the controls a lot easier for autofocus/exposure/brightness.  A couple of examples of many I enjoyed through phone+eyepiece.

image.png.0f37579b7a2c30cbd368bda6a11e3e3f.png

image.png.47d0d4f43f13bb81b00b23c24bf57d99.png

Edited by geeklee
  • Like 5

23 minutes ago, geeklee said:

Welcome to SGL!  A cracking little scope.

It's worth persevering with the phone if you want to keep it simple for a while.  A phone cradle to keep it steady on the eyepiece can be very useful.  It lets you play with the controls a lot easier for autofocus/exposure/brightness.  A couple of examples of many I enjoyed through phone+eyepiece.

image.png.0f37579b7a2c30cbd368bda6a11e3e3f.png

image.png.47d0d4f43f13bb81b00b23c24bf57d99.png

Thanks for that, I was thinking about a cradle, but my phone does not alter ISO etc, I could process them in photoshop or the other Astro programs I have downloaded ready to go. Ultimately though, I would like to use my DSLR until I can afford a Astro camera of some sort. Here’s my effort from yesterday. Don’t laugh. BF473B43-1315-4AA0-A3DD-671164B4A4CC.thumb.jpeg.c9928069edd27b687172b361fd327597.jpeg49874E17-BB2C-4016-9806-86B099F342C9.thumb.jpeg.368deb276767699e25437d874ec33682.jpeg

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, Joef said:

Here’s my effort from yesterday. Don’t laugh. 

Excellent!  Nothing to laugh at there - some good detail in Clavius showing in the bottom image and you can see loads in the first.  I found during the day much trickier with exposure on a phone.  If we ever get a clear night (howling wind and heavy rain again today!) you'll be even more impressed I'm sure.

My phone cameras were the same and the cradle kept everything stable enough so the "auto" elements of the camera could stabalise and if I then clicked on the bright area on the screen it could set the exposure appropriately - it usually worked but not always :)

Edited by geeklee
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, geeklee said:

Excellent!  Nothing to laugh at there - some good detail in Clavius showing in the bottom image and you can see loads in the first.  I found during the day much trickier with exposure on a phone.  If we ever get a clear night (howling wind and heavy rain again today!) you'll be even more impressed I'm sure.

My phone cameras were the same and the cradle kept everything stable enough so the "auto" elements of the camera could stabalise and if I then clicked on the bright area on the screen it could set the exposure appropriately - it usually worked but not always :)

Ahh Clavius, I’ve been hunting on the moon globe to find out where I was poking my scope. Thanks for the advice on the camera, will certainly be trying that next time, if and when this weather improves. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, bosun21 said:

Hi 👋 welcome to the lounge. You would be better using your DSLR on your scope and you won’t have any problem reaching focus with it.

I would much prefer to use my DSLR in the long run, but knowing me, I’ll end up with both T Piece and phone holder. 

• Haha 1

Welcome to Stargazers Lounge! That's a fantastic first 'scope and mount! You should enjoy many many nights and learn a lot with that setup!I second what Geeklee said, get yourself a phone adaptor so you can take steady trouble free pics through the Eyepiece with your phone. If I can help with anything, please drop me a msg. I am relatively new myself still, having only started imaging a couple months ago. I've been doing visual astronomy for a few years now though. 

Wes, Liverpool UK.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Joef said:

Thanks for that, I was thinking about a cradle, but my phone does not alter ISO etc, I could process them in photoshop or the other Astro programs I have downloaded ready to go. Ultimately though, I would like to use my DSLR until I can afford a Astro camera of some sort. Here’s my effort from yesterday. Don’t laugh. BF473B43-1315-4AA0-A3DD-671164B4A4CC.thumb.jpeg.c9928069edd27b687172b361fd327597.jpeg49874E17-BB2C-4016-9806-86B099F342C9.thumb.jpeg.368deb276767699e25437d874ec33682.jpeg

Great first pics of the Moon! I didn't even manage this when I started out with iPhone pointed at Eyepiece! Mine was just a glaring white disk with absolutely no Lunar details/Craters! So you've already got off to a great start, and imagine what you will achieve with a phone adaptor! Definitely get one! You have plenty of time to get a T adaptor and start using your DSLR! I would kindly suggest you take baby steps and firstly start learning how to do a bit of visual Astronomy, so you become more familiar with the night sky, because there's a LOT going on up there that people never notice until they start looking up regularly! And while you're doing visual Astro, you can pop your phone onto the adaptor when you see a planet or a nebula, like M42 Orion, and take basic pics, messing around with different settings etc, and basically have a great time! Wes.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, wesdon1 said:

Great first pics of the Moon! I didn't even manage this when I started out with iPhone pointed at Eyepiece! Mine was just a glaring white disk with absolutely no Lunar details/Craters! So you've already got off to a great start, and imagine what you will achieve with a phone adaptor! Definitely get one! You have plenty of time to get a T adaptor and start using your DSLR! I would kindly suggest you take baby steps and firstly start learning how to do a bit of visual Astronomy, so you become more familiar with the night sky, because there's a LOT going on up there that people never notice until they start looking up regularly! And while you're doing visual Astro, you can pop your phone onto the adaptor when you see a planet or a nebula, like M42 Orion, and take basic pics, messing around with different settings etc, and basically have a great time! Wes.

Thanks for the great advice, I know it makes huge sense, but it’s gonna be hard for me with the Baby Steps, I already see myself with cables and monitors and hundred of £’s worth of gear I don’t know what it’s for or don’t know how to use. But yep, Baby Steps is what I need and intend doing for a while, learn how this thing (scope and mtg) really work, and enjoy myself. 👍

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Joef said:

Thanks for the great advice, I know it makes huge sense, but it’s gonna be hard for me with the Baby Steps, I already see myself with cables and monitors and hundred of £’s worth of gear I don’t know what it’s for or don’t know how to use. But yep, Baby Steps is what I need and intend doing for a while, learn how this thing (scope and mtg) really work, and enjoy myself. 👍

Hi again Joe! LOL I was actually thinking when I was writing my msg kindly suggesting you take baby steps, I thought "This person will likely be exactly the same as me, he'll want to buy all kinds of gear for imaging, despite him knowing he's rushing it a bit!? LOL." Joe, I reckon it's no bad thing if you start at the deep end, it might even be a good thing, because your learning curve will be much steeper and faster, so you'll likely get to a level that allows you to produce great Astro images much sooner than you otherwise would have!? So I say go for it Joe! I cannot describe how amazing the feelings are when you finally start understanding all the jargon and learning how to use the various Astro apps for processing etc! I must warn you though! You will definitely have moments where you'll question your sanity!! LOL. You will have doubts, you will think "it's only you who doesn't understand it! You will really struggle at times, but I absolutely promise you Joe, if you stick with it, and keep asking questions from the much more experienced people on here, you will eventually understand it all and be super happy you didn't throw the towel in!! ( like I wanted to do on several occasions! LOL ) Best of luck Joe! please keep us all updated on your journey! Wes

• Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, wesdon1 said:

Hi again Joe! LOL I was actually thinking when I was writing my msg kindly suggesting you take baby steps, I thought "This person will likely be exactly the same as me, he'll want to buy all kinds of gear for imaging, despite him knowing he's rushing it a bit!? LOL." Joe, I reckon it's no bad thing if you start at the deep end, it might even be a good thing, because your learning curve will be much steeper and faster, so you'll likely get to a level that allows you to produce great Astro images much sooner than you otherwise would have!? So I say go for it Joe! I cannot describe how amazing the feelings are when you finally start understanding all the jargon and learning how to use the various Astro apps for processing etc! I must warn you though! You will definitely have moments where you'll question your sanity!! LOL. You will have doubts, you will think "it's only you who doesn't understand it! You will really struggle at times, but I absolutely promise you Joe, if you stick with it, and keep asking questions from the much more experienced people on here, you will eventually understand it all and be super happy you didn't throw the towel in!! ( like I wanted to do on several occasions! LOL ) Best of luck Joe! please keep us all updated on your journey! Wes

Cheers for advice and encouragement Wesdon1, I really can't go in at a gallop until i get the basics sorted, I know I'll rush, then I'll slow down etc. I pretty much do that with ball my hobbies, hence my 1st DJI Phantom 4 drone is at the bottom of Loch Fyne, instead of a small test flight, took it on a major flight, never came back.

• Sad 1

19 hours ago, Joef said:

Cheers for advice and encouragement Wesdon1, I really can't go in at a gallop until i get the basics sorted, I know I'll rush, then I'll slow down etc. I pretty much do that with ball my hobbies, hence my 1st DJI Phantom 4 drone is at the bottom of Loch Fyne, instead of a small test flight, took it on a major flight, never came back.

Aww gutted for you Joe! I too am into RC stuff. I fly RC Heli's. I recently had to sell my huge super scary Align Trex 800E because I just could not relax while flying it! It cost me over £2000 after batteries, Radio etc, and I thought to myself "Not IF but WHEN I have my first crash with this thing, it's going to take my total spend close to £3k! That's just NOT justifiable for someone who isn't wealthy! LOL" So I sold it! I have owned and flown many Heli's over the years, and also owned many many electric and nitro powered RC cars, Truggy's, Monster Trucks etc. I got into Astro stuff 5 years ago, but have loved astronomy all my life. I'm sticking with Astro imaging for the foreseeable future now because I just cannot afford to do both hobbies at same time any more!

At least you saw the light before it was too late, I’ve left another drone up a huge tree, so on my 3rd one now, I don’t fly it very often now, can’t think why!! I might even sell it. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Joef said:

At least you saw the light before it was too late, I’ve left another drone up a huge tree, so on my 3rd one now, I don’t fly it very often now, can’t think why!! I might even sell it. 

Aww no really!? Aww Joe I can sooo relate to that because i've lost Heli's and RC cars from big crashes! I do actually still have a couple of cheap "toy" Drones that I fly occasionally, but I sold my Tyro racing Drone last year, and as mentioned, sold my Trex 800E earlier this year. The RC Hobby is mega expensive, just like this hobby! LOL. We must be suckers for punishment Joe! LOL ( or maybe just love our hobbies! )

17 minutes ago, wesdon1 said:

Aww no really!? Aww Joe I can sooo relate to that because i've lost Heli's and RC cars from big crashes! I do actually still have a couple of cheap "toy" Drones that I fly occasionally, but I sold my Tyro racing Drone last year, and as mentioned, sold my Trex 800E earlier this year. The RC Hobby is mega expensive, just like this hobby! LOL. We must be suckers for punishment Joe! LOL ( or maybe just love our hobbies! )

I’m putting it down to “love of Hobby” I much prefer that to some of the things my wife has called me over the loss of the drones. I’ve done RC Nitro cars, loved that, broke them, but never lost them. I could never have done heli’s or planes, too dodgy, (says the man who’s lost two drones). Hopefully stargazing isn’t gonna cause too many problems. 

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Joef said:

I’m putting it down to “love of Hobby” I much prefer that to some of the things my wife has called me over the loss of the drones. I’ve done RC Nitro cars, loved that, broke them, but never lost them. I could never have done heli’s or planes, too dodgy, (says the man who’s lost two drones). Hopefully stargazing isn’t gonna cause too many problems. 

LOL I have had the same from my partner! They just don't understand that our RC hobby Drones, heli's, Nitro RC and Electric RC stuff are not toys, they're hobby grade highly sophisticated machines that require passion, intelligence, and hard work. Yes stargazing has different kinds of problems! GINORMOUS FINANCIAL ONES! LOL

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Nigella Bryant said:

Welcome, hope you don't mind played with one of your image's and adjusted exposure, contrast and colour. Looking good. More difficult anyway being in the daytime. Have fun with it. 

PSX_20221119_115919.jpg

Of course I don’t mind, you’ve made a cracking job of it, I’ve had a go at tweaking it on my phone, but it doesn’t look anything like that. Thanks. 

• Like 2