NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

My first ever pic of Jupiter, all by myself! LOL

I finally managed my first astro image. I took of 1GB of video data with DSLR camera, light pollution filter, SW 200P Newt. Reflector and SW HEQ5 Mount, unguided. Used PIPP, then Autostakert, then Registax. I had a nightmare for weeks struggling to figure out how to use aforementioned astro apps, but eventually my perseverance paid off ( despite me at one point almost taking my hammer to my home computer!! LOL. )

I used just over 1GB ( roughly 9 minutes 40 seconds 1080 HD / 30 fps ) of DSLR video footage of Jupiter, through aforementioned equipment. I used Manual mode, BULB setting, RAW Format, ISO 800, Focal Length of my Telescope was 1000mm. SVBONY Eyepiece Projection Adaptor with 9mm EP inside and 2x Barlow fitted onto EP projector nose. The Light Pollution Filter was inserted inside the nose piece of EP Projector. I also used an Intervalometer for the DSLR, but with video recordings, I don't feel that is strictly necessary, because you're obviously only jerking the Rig at very beginning and end of footage, and the post processing will rid you of the bad video frames anyway. Then processed in PIPP, Autostakkert then Registax.

jupiter final1.jpg

Edited by wesdon1
had to re-format my image from BMP to JPG! Also forgot to include my camera and 'scope setup!
  • Like 10

Great first image!

Its especially difficult capturing planets with a DSLR so well done.

You might want to convert your image to a jpg and re-upload so it displays better on the forums - some browsers won’t display bmp images natively so people will have to download the image to view it.

• Thanks 1

Thank You all so much for kind comments! I know my Jupiter image is a longggg way behind most of you guys, but I will get better with experience! It was so hard, and on a couple of occasions I almost threw the towel in, out of sheer desperation when I couldn't get something to work!  it was so so rewarding when I finally started understanding the process start to finish!! I am mega excited about future planetary and deep sky imaging! Can't wait for weather to clear! 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Nigella Bryant said:

Congratulations on your first Jupiter image. I've only just begun too. Its a nightmare working out how to use the software from capture to processing. Combined with the weather its crazy stuff but really exciting when you've done it. 

Thanks! Yes the whole process, from imaging the planet or DSO, then processing your data with various astrophotography apps, is a total nightmare when you start out! But as you also rightly mentioned, it is such a buzz when you finally get the hang of it! 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, wesdon1 said:

I finally managed my first astro image. I took of 1GB of video data with DSLR camera, light pollution filter, SW 200P Newt. Reflector and SW HEQ5 Mount, unguided. Used PIPP, then Autostakert, then Registax. I had a nightmare for weeks struggling to figure out how to use aforementioned astro apps, but eventually my perseverance paid off

Thats a great first image... Please add details of exposure, ISO setting etc, so other newbies can learn from your experience.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, AstroMuni said:

Thats a great first image... Please add details of exposure, ISO setting etc, so other newbies can learn from your experience.

Hi! Thanks so much Astromuni! That's a very good idea, I never thought to do that! Thanks! Wes.