Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Solar continuum filters Altair or BAADER ?

Moon-Monkey

Ok so I have read various topics on various forums about this subject and I would like to know a couple of things here if I may .

firstly can I get the opinions of people that own these filters 

secondly would like to hear from people who own the Altair Astro continuum please and how it compares to the BAADER version 

I intend on using this filter for visual white light only and I would like to hear some real world VISUAL observations please pros cons good bad etc I know that it’s not going to be a massive improvement and more subtle but would really like to hear the opinions from some people that regularly observe white light please as I know the atmosphere can be confusing in regards to the effects of this filter 

which one should I buy an ALTAIR or a BAADER ?? 
many thanks and clear skies 

Phill 

4 minutes ago, Alan White said:

I would be interested if anyone had used both filters as well.
My experience is with the Baader one, its very good, but based on a sample of 1.

Yes I haven’t seen any reviews of the Altair one anywhere !!! 

47 minutes ago, Space Hopper said:

Yes, i'm the same and have used the 2" Baader version.

Its very good, but i'm not sure i can recommend anyone paying £160 for it ?

Mine was part of the Baader HW 'with filter set' purchased late 2014.

So in your opinion it’s well worth getting it then ?  Can you describe the differences. You visually see with the filter in and out please buddy ? 

It makes the sun go green !! 😃

Mainly it enhances the contrast of sunspots, especially the penumbra area. It enhances the granularity as well.

To me though i find the enhancements quite subtle.

It also makes sense if you have an achromat refractor rather than an apo. But whether its worth £160 on its own  is open to debate.

9F943384-07D4-4A80-B513-AA99980D6B9D_1_201_a

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

The 'new' Baader is 7.5nm down from the 'original' 10nm and £170.00 

The Altair is 8nm but only available in 1-1/4" from what I've seen.

Neither a massive improvement over an Oiii if you already have one in your arsenal ... certainly not a £170.00 improvement ... 😉

• Like 1

Why do people go for 2” wedges (apart from availability), they cost more, so don’t need the aperture and they nuke refractor backfocus. 
If you have a 2” wedge you can pop a 1.25” continuum filter (or otherwise) on your 1.25” kit you plug in the back of it.

Peter

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Space Hopper said:

It makes the sun go green !! 😃

Mainly it enhances the contrast of sunspots, especially the penumbra area. It enhances the granularity as well.

To me though i find the enhancements quite subtle.

It also makes sense if you have an achromat refractor rather than an apo. But whether its worth £160 on its own  is open to debate.

9F943384-07D4-4A80-B513-AA99980D6B9D_1_201_a

Ok so that’s good enough For me if you notice some improvement then it’s a done deal I’ve just bought the BAADER 1.25” version used so for me it was a £50 investment I will report on my findings when I receive it and get fully setup with it nice pic by the way honestly the green colour really doesn’t bother me at all makes it just that bit more interesting actually lol and as I’m going to be using it with an F11 achro it should tidy up the little bit of CA I notice too 🙂👍👍

21 hours ago, PeterW said:

Why do people go for 2” wedges (apart from availability), they cost more, so don’t need the aperture and they nuke refractor backfocus. 

Peter

Simply because of their superior thermal management characteristics.

A 2" HW has over the double the size (in area) heat dissipation window that a 1.25" wedge has.

To users of scopes 4" and above thats important. If i was to use a 1.25" HW with my scope it would very quickly overheat enough to be a burn hazard, or even be destroyed entirely.

But if you are only using a 60 or 70mm refractor you'd probably be ok with a 1.25"  A bigger scope though demands a suitably sized wedge. And thats a 2"

Edited by Space Hopper
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

Ok so I have now had some time with the solar continuum (the BAADER version) I cannot say whether it’s the earlier version or later (used purchase) however I have done some A/B testing and for me it’s a clear win no doubt 

details snap into focus and I’m def getting more details in the umbra / penumbra before I could distinguish but not separate now it’s obvious I can also see more sunspots with filter in so again a massive Win for me I’m glad I put this post up here b cause for me I would 100% reccomend this just wish I could try the Altair and side by side it to see if it’s any different 🙂🙂

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Elp said:

A green 58 filter works just as well in my experience.

Ahh see I’ve side by sided them … A/B same scope same conditions back and forth for nearly an hour and while the green 58 was an improvement over the EP in a native format the SC filter definitely (for me ) had a resounding improvement in contrast (however I am using a fast achromat ) so I guess YMMV ??? 🙂