Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

SW Evolux ED or WO Zenithstar 61 Apo

I am torn between the two OTA's, they both seem to be well made, are pretty much the same weight, have good reviews and inc the FF have a similar price tag.

Sky-Watcher Evolux 62ED OTA | First Light Optics

William Optics Zenithstar 61 II APO | First Light Optics

So I am looking for any feedback on performance or better still, has anyone carried out a side by side.

Cheers all

Steve

• Like 1

No side by side so I'm biased toward the z61 (Trevor Jones' review pretty much sealed it for me). Pretty much has done anything I've asked of it no issue, lunar, white light solar, ha solar, planetary and DSO. Visual and imaging. Sharp, focuser is excellent, small and light. 2 inch back with 1.25 adaptor. With a 0.65 reducer it can have red/Spacecat fov and f3.8 (though it's a bit of a stretch at the edges). Nothing bad to say really, wish I had two but cannot justify it (so I end up buying other scopes).

Edited by Elp
  • Like 1

40 minutes ago, johninderby said:

Yeah got to agree, just grab the TS optics scope, the SW is still an unknown why take a risk on a new type when you don't need to?

That being said I do like the SW brand. 

This is an example image, personally i would say it has a noticeable amount of blue bloat going on. 

https://www.astrobin.com/full/hecbjo/0/

Adam

Edited by Adam J

2 minutes ago, johninderby said:

Brief review of the Evolux62

Thanks John, I found that earlier and review is very positive.

TBF there is a lot I like about the evolux although the WO pedigree speaks for itself. Hence this thread.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, bomberbaz said:

Thanks John, I found that earlier and review is very positive.

TBF there is a lot I like about the evolux although the WO pedigree speaks for itself. Hence this thread.

Reminds me of the conundrum I had between the Evolux82 and the StellaMira80 a few weeks ago.

John

Edited by johninderby
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, johninderby said:

Reminds me of the conundrum I had between the Evolux82 and the StellaMira80 a few weeks ago.

John

Which one won and why John if you don't mind me asking?

Further to the above reply now found out that the StellaMira80 apparently has  the same optics as the Equinox / Evostar and according to SW the Evolux has “upgraded” optics over the Evostar.

Edited by johninderby
  • Like 1

Good report John, I like it's look, design and features. One big thing which is only a small thing is the two shoes part. One for a guide scope and one for the AAplus.

I note the WW ZS61 has FPL53 glass and the FF glass is unstated. The Evolux has, when used with the FF 2 ED glass elements in the light path but it is unstated. Do you have any idea what the glass type is?

14 minutes ago, johninderby said:

No SW is not telling what glass type but I’m finding no obvious CA yet unlike the Evostar doublet where there is a little bit.

Review here in cloudynights: Skywatcher Evolux 82ED finally in stock in Europe - Refractors - Cloudy Nights

Some of the comments don't quite ring true to me. They seem quite at odds to other information which is corroborated and are also totally at odds with your previous comment. 

6 minutes ago, bomberbaz said:

Review here in cloudynights: Skywatcher Evolux 82ED finally in stock in Europe - Refractors - Cloudy Nights

Some of the comments don't quite ring true to me. They seem quite at odds to other information which is corroborated and are also totally at odds with your previous comment. 

The CN made in China bias perhaps? 🤔

Have read some dodgy things on CN although to be fair some excellent stuff as well.

No SW is not telling what glass type but I’m finding no obvious CA yet unlike the Evostar doublet where there is a little bit.

How would you say the 82 EvoLux compares with the SM 80 f10 John?

11 minutes ago, Stu said:

How would you say the 82 EvoLux compares with the SM 80 f10 John?

Pretty similar for lack of CA and sharpness which surprised me a bit with the Evolux being a faster scope. Am finding the Evolux will take much higher mag though. 200 x is very comfortable on the moon and will take over 400x without the image deteriorating although a bit dimer. Takes excellent seeing of course to push the mag.

Edited by johninderby

2 minutes ago, johninderby said:

Pretty similar for lack of CA and sharpness which surprised me a bit with the Evolux being a faster scope. Am finding the Evolux will take much higher mag though. 200 x is very comfortable on the moon and will take over 400x without the image deteriorating although a bit dimer. Takes excellent seeing of course to push the mag.

Are you saying the EvoLux will take x400 and the SM wouldn’t?

I must say I find I hard to give definitive comparisons from memory alone given the vagaries of the sky etc.

2 minutes ago, Stu said:

Are you saying the EvoLux will take x400 and the SM wouldn’t?

I must say I find I hard to give definitive comparisons from memory alone given the vagaries of the sky etc.

Yes with the SM it didn’t handle mags over 200x very well. Using memory to compare scopes is a bit imprecise but the definite thing is the max mag both scopes are/were comfortable with.

33 minutes ago, johninderby said:

Yes with the SM it didn’t handle mags over 200x very well. Using memory to compare scopes is a bit imprecise but the definite thing is the max mag both scopes are/were comfortable with.

Interesting. Not sure I could say my Vixen FL102S f8.8 would take x400 without breaking sweat but I guess we all interpret what we see differently.