Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Celestron Starsense Explorer 10” Dobsonian - first impressions

Continuing the evolution of the set up - a RACI finderscope is definitely a useful addition in a number of scenarios - I’ve missed having one in situ - even if using StarSense the view through the 9x50 can be useful and rewarding.

C16DE683-0A34-4B2F-9CB7-133550609AD8.thumb.jpeg.9e10cecaa61866ae8acea1053c92c04d.jpeg

1DBE1BDA-292E-4418-A922-D46621BBC664.thumb.jpeg.4964a74fc82dc5ab21e184f8f408ace5.jpeg

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, Astro_Dad said:

Continuing the evolution of the set up - a RACI finderscope is definitely a useful addition in a number of scenarios - I’ve missed having one in situ - even if using StarSense the view through the 9x50 can be useful and rewarding.

C16DE683-0A34-4B2F-9CB7-133550609AD8.thumb.jpeg.9e10cecaa61866ae8acea1053c92c04d.jpeg

1DBE1BDA-292E-4418-A922-D46621BBC664.thumb.jpeg.4964a74fc82dc5ab21e184f8f408ace5.jpeg

Agree 100% wouldn’t be without my Raci 

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Astro_Dad said:

SNAP!

3BAA9C4D-4803-4B8B-802C-64C1277E0F34.thumb.jpeg.930549932113b2e8534405ebb8ee7bf8.jpeg

• Haha 2

7 hours ago, paulastro said:

I found a link for the Celestron Starsense Explorer Instruction Manual.  Apologies if it's been posted before on this thread

https://manuals.plus/celestron/22470-starsense-explorer-8-inch-dobsonian-telescope-manual#axzz7XMLbjoH8

Thanks Paul- this is actually a more comprehensive manual (possibly US version) than the one supplied in the box here, at least my example only included a quick setup guide with no detail on for example, collimation. Similar in this regard to the basic manual included with other StarSense ‘scopes. I think new users in particular will benefit from this more detailed version. Thanks for posting the link. 
Andrew

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Astro_Dad said:

Thanks Paul- this is actually a more comprehensive manual (possibly US version) than the one supplied in the box here, at least my example only included a quick setup guide with no detail on for example, collimation. Similar in this regard to the basic manual included with other StarSense ‘scopes. I think new users in particular will benefit from this more detailed version. Thanks for posting the link. 
Andrew

Thanks Andrew.  My 8 is being delivered this afternoon.  Can you tell me if it comes in one or two boxes?  I would think two - but I don't want to give the delivery driver any unnecessary grief if he only has one parcel for me 😄.

1 hour ago, paulastro said:

Thanks Andrew.  My 8 is being delivered this afternoon.  Can you tell me if it comes in one or two boxes?  I would think two - but I don't want to give the delivery driver any unnecessary grief if he only has one parcel for me 😄.

Yes two boxes. 

• Thanks 1

On 03/06/2022 at 04:53, Astro_Dad said:

The galaxy pair M81 and M82 first - the targets were found - close enough at least but required slight manual adjustment to have either target centred in the eyepiece (25mm Plossl so 48x power). Further minor adjustment was needed to have both Cigar and Bode’s galaxies framed in the eyepiece together.

I couldn't find anything in the manual about realigning on objects once centered in the field of view.  My decades old Sky Commander DSCs (section 5.7 Realign on Object Menu) and the much newer SkEye app (section 3.3.4 Adding more Alignments) both have the ability to tell it that the object is centered in the main telescope, and thus to adjust its alignment to compensate.  Did I miss something in the Starsense manual about how to do this?

1 hour ago, Louis D said:

I couldn't find anything in the manual about realigning on objects once centered in the field of view.  My decades old Sky Commander DSCs (section 5.7 Realign on Object Menu) and the much newer SkEye app (section 3.3.4 Adding more Alignments) both have the ability to tell it that the object is centered in the main telescope, and thus to adjust its alignment to compensate.  Did I miss something in the Starsense manual about how to do this?

No, you haven’t missed anything here - the manual is fairly high level with limited detail, and realigning in the way that is possible with SkEye is not an option that’s available (at least as far as I’m aware!).  It’s a good question though - it would be useful to be able to “tell” StarSense when an object is centred to then enable an appropriate offset for better object location/centring later.  Because it works on plate solving, as far as I have found the only way to enable more accuracy (or more centrally located targets in the eyepiece) is to improve the initial alignment of the camera with a distant target (done in daylight). Other than that, which for me gets pretty close (though not perfect) the only way is to manually nudge or reset and follow the guide arrows on the phone again. 

Never found an option to adjust the alignment but you could always exit and restart the app and tell it alignment needed at that stage. Of course with a dob the object will have moved by then so you'd have to re-centre, as with a manual alt-az. On an EQ mount with RA motor it may work ok tho as it'd be tracking anyway while the app restarts. (yes it does work on EQ or at least I find it does with mine so far).

Edited by DaveL59

1 hour ago, Astro_Dad said:

No, you haven’t missed anything here - the manual is fairly high level with limited detail, and realigning in the way that is possible with SkEye is not an option that’s available (at least as far as I’m aware!).

Sounds an opportunity for a future improvement by Celestron.

• Like 1

Thank you so much for your review. I just got the same scope, I also own an EQ6 pro equatorial mount, and I was wondering if there is a way to get some mounting rings for this scope to put a plate on them and use it on my eq mount

• Like 1

On 11/07/2022 at 17:00, phobos1968 said:

I also own an EQ6 pro equatorial mount, and I was wondering if there is a way to get some mounting rings for this scope to put a plate on them and use it on my eq mount

I’ve no direct experience of this and sure others can wade in, but rings are available for this size of scope suitable for use with eye EQ6 Pro. 
E.g

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/sky-watcher-mount-accessories/skywatcher-telescope-tube-rings.html

A quick search around reveals several discussion threads about the pros cons and practicalities of this approach such as-

and 

https://www.cloudynights.com/topic/516471-10-dob-vs-10-newt-eq6-gem-pros-cons/

It would be interesting to hear how you get on if you progress with this project and see a pic of the rig !

AD

• Like 1

On 01/07/2022 at 16:46, Louis D said:

Sounds an opportunity for a future improvement by Celestron.

I was curious about this so followed up with Celestron directly. Naturally they couldn’t disclose any NPD in the pipeline but did suggest that the limiting factor is more around current phone hardware - mentioning specifically the accuracy of the digital compass/ inclinometer etc. Still not sure if this would prevent the phone being programmed to offset any error (with updated software), but I guess we can watch this space and find out!

3 hours ago, Astro_Dad said:

I was curious about this so followed up with Celestron directly. Naturally they couldn’t disclose any NPD in the pipeline but did suggest that the limiting factor is more around current phone hardware - mentioning specifically the accuracy of the digital compass/ inclinometer etc. Still not sure if this would prevent the phone being programmed to offset any error (with updated software), but I guess we can watch this space and find out!

The whole point of plate solving is to do an end run around the phone's inaccurate sensors.  Otherwise, you've basically got SkEye's system of locating pointing direction using only sensors.  They just need to add offsets to the values provided via plate solving to account for inaccurate phone to scope alignment.  That's basically what SkEye does.  It doesn't know how well aligned the phone and scope are since there is no initial alignment step.  You center the scope's FOV on a known star, locate that star on the app's star map, and then tell it to align on it.  Bam, the app knows the offset between the phone and scope.  Do this a few more times as you locate more objects, and the alignment offsets get further refined.

If SkEye added plate solving, possibly using the front camera to do an end run around Celestron's patents, it could really improve pointing accuracy.  As long as the camera can see some portion of the sky, even at right angles to the scope's line of sight, and it knows the alignment between the phone and scope (it might require two alignments, one for the sensors and one for the camera), the app can calculate where the scope is pointing.  That would negate the need for the Starsense mirror.  If the phone is tilted up from the scope too much to make it easier to see at low elevations, the camera wouldn't be able to see the sky at high elevation aimings.  That's the main issue I foresee with this approach.  Another issue would be obstructions above and behind the scope as in my backyard.  I've got trees preventing views north of zenith.  Thus, when looking south, a phone flat on the scope's tube is looking up and back at a bunch of tree limbs to the north.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Louis D said:

They just need to add offsets to the values provided via plate solving to account for inaccurate phone to scope alignment. 

Makes perfect sense - I suggested essentially same in my correspondence with Celestron. Maybe refinement will come, but for now it’s already impressive tech and works well. Not particularly familiar with SkyEye as I believe Android only, otherwise would have tried I’m sure - but principle of use is pretty clear. Thanks. 
AD