Banner.jpg.b6007b69ccdf5c69bf18273ddfe023df.jpg

Stargazing holiday in the southern hemisphere

kev100

Hi, 

I'm set to inherit some money in the near future, and thought I might spend it on a holiday in the southern hemisphere, ideally at a dedicated stargazing venue, with scopes etc. I'm thinking southern Africa, rather than Oz, purely because of the cost of flights...

Has anyone been on such a holiday, or know of anywhere they'd recommend?

It's early days, and I'm just starting to think about it...

Cheers,

Kev

The only place I know is canary island which is supposed to be quite popular and has tours etc though I’m not sure if it has their own scopes. I will keep an eye on this as I also want to do something similar. I know @ollypenrice has a place in France that is sometimes available .though Africa sounds nice!

• Like 1

Try Sutherland, South Africa. About 3 hours drive from Cape Town and in the middle of the Karoo. There are some b & b's  that have telescopes for guests and the South African Astronomical Observatory is a short drive away. There are many telescopes there including SALT ( Southern African Large Telescope) 11M of Hexagonal mirrors. They also do guided tours and observation evenings if you choose the right times ( although I don't know how Covid has interrupted these arrangements).

Nigel

• Like 1

Thanks for all the suggestions. I’d imagined that there would be packages available, all-in deals for flights, accommodation, gear to use, etc. anyone know of such a thing?

1 hour ago, Astrobits said:

Try Sutherland, South Africa. About 3 hours drive from Cape Town and in the middle of the Karoo. There are some b & b's  that have telescopes for guests and the South African Astronomical Observatory is a short drive away. There are many telescopes there including SALT ( Southern African Large Telescope) 11M of Hexagonal mirrors. They also do guided tours and observation evenings if you choose the right times ( although I don't know how Covid has interrupted these arrangements).

Nigel

Just had a look at Sutherland. Mixed reviews, but interesting 🧐 

• 2 weeks later...

Update: Myself and a friend have booked a 9-day stay at Tivoli Astrofarm in Namibia from the 22nd of August! Including the use of a 25in Obsession dob! Excitement levels are off the scale.

Anyone been there? Got any advice? Going to be putting together a target list over the next few months, if anyone's got any suggestions (LMC and SMC already on it).

Kev

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, teoria_del_big_bang said:

Wow, looks great I bet you cannot wait, please keep us all updated when you are there sounds like a trip of a lifetime 🙂 

Enjoy.

Steve

Definitely a trip of a lifetime. Can't wait. 🙂

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, kev100 said:

Update: Myself and a friend have booked a 9-day stay at Tivoli Astrofarm in Namibia from the 22nd of August! Including the use of a 25in Obsession dob! Excitement levels are off the scale.

Anyone been there? Got any advice? Going to be putting together a target list over the next few months, if anyone's got any suggestions (LMC and SMC already on it).

Kev

Wow - sounds great. We will be expecting full reports!

• Like 1