Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Webcam for Imaging

i found a second hand one on SGL site, they appear sometimes, also checkout ebay although the price tends to be high on ebay, last one i came accross went for £65 without an adapter which is another £20 purchase, very sort after piece of equipment

Alll you are really after is a ccd-based webcam - and this only for lower noise characteristics. There are quite a few out there, though some of them will be the sharp chip (which is a little more prone to noise) rather than the sony one. If you want to modify for long exposure then having the 16510 chip controller is pretty much a definite requirement also. A visit to the QCUIAG group will give you a list of your cam options.

To be honest, modern cmos-based cameras are fine for local/planetary stuff - it's ony when you want to go out of the solar system and long-expose that the cmos chips become a pain - they will fill up and saturate with signal and noise in about 4 seconds and their colour definition sometimes leaves a little to be desired... The fact the the cmos chips are pretty much all on one chip is responsible for this noise - both from heat and from interference.

Arthur

Can anyone suggest an webcam similar to Philips SPC-900NC? All I want is a simple but suitable webcam! I don't want to worry about really technical stuff yet. Just to get started and do some simple imaging!

Alexxx

Hi, Recent newcomer to SGL. I want to try astro-imaging when I grow up :rolleyes: so I read everybodies comments about the SPC900NC.

Finding one, now there's the rub, but find it I did.

Amazon.co.uk. Don't look for Phillips SPC etc but do look for Phillips 1.3MP USB Webcam 90fps. It's there:hello2: but a bit pricey:eek:.

I did try Amazon.de and found it there but they will not deliver outside Germany or Austria. That said I contacted the seller direct to ask if he would sell directly to me - the was yes but I got his reply after I had bought from the UK seller ;) The fellow in Germany was selling it for 30 euros.

Anybody interested I have an address and phone number.

That's the one ;) I can say that it performs ok as an imager, it will also do as a starter guidecam should you delve that far into imaging. It can do a 1.4s exposure using wcrctrl software so might be useful for globular clusters as well. No problem doing lunar stuff either, can't comment on the planetary as I never got the chance on the planets (house is in the way). It's not the best imaging cam in the world, but for £20 (1/3rd of the price of a neximage) you can't really go wrong.

• 2 weeks later...

I wonder if the Orion Starshoot Mk.III with "improved sensitivity" now becomes a contender? I am a bit baffled why Astro webcams seem not to have not progressed beyond the 1.3 Mpixels 1/2" chip, while the rest of the camera world... HAS. ;)

I quite like my Orion SSCI Mk.II, where the larger chip makes for a good lunar (or filtered) solar imager. I suspect the S@N review gave a reasonable summary of it's restriction to "brighter planets" only. Not exactly "rubbish", as sometimes claimed, but lacking a little... :)

For someone who asked, the Acuter imager is quite fun to dip that toe in the water. :)

Archived