Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

White light between the hail showers, April 1st (obviously) :-)

Pete Presland

Wind, Hail and clouds, pleased to get anything to be honest!

Managed to capture images from both Tea-break and Dinnertime, from the Ford Fiesta mobile Solar imaging unit. 🙂 

The wind really was knocking imaging around all the time, so fairly happy with the end result. Not been able to get the full disc to stack correctly yet.

I have done the Pseudo false colour on these, not sure if it really adds much to the image to be honest.

The usual set up, Evostar 120mm, Lunt wedge, Asi174mm. 

AM

749958177_2022_04_0109.12AR297576.thumb.png.a420ac2b4a3d2530b78babaab68c7cda.png

906311341_2022_04_0109.14AR297881.thumb.png.7d74aa729a593d15fa2718b2ad2e5d85.png

PM

374827008_2022_04_0112.26AR297576.thumb.png.d147404c18374f163f6529be8aa34238.png

29605943_2022_04_0112.25AR297881.thumb.png.659e04a7a8551569237e2da0e1633722.png

• Like 11

wow would i be able to get imaging anything like this with my william optics zenithstar 73 and a astro modded canon 60D.ive never really even thought about solar imaging before.

I have a HEQ5 pro mount and i have a 5x televue powermate. i don't want to spend lots of money on more kit at this time just wondering what was possible tbh with basic filters etc.

thanks and superb pictures.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ninjageezer said:

wow would i be able to get imaging anything like this with my william optics zenithstar 73 and a astro modded canon 60D.ive never really even thought about solar imaging before.

I have a HEQ5 pro mount and i have a 5x televue powermate. i don't want to spend lots of money on more kit at this time just wondering what was possible tbh with basic filters etc.

The first thing to say is DONT use any of those cheap solar filters found on eBay, that screw into the eyepiece.

Solar imaging is very rewarding, but can also be dangerous if the correct filters are not used .

No offense, but  "Basic" is not really a term I would like to use about solar filters.

Cheapest way is to buy some Baader solar and make a filter for your refractor.  You can also buy premade filters to fit your aperture. These both fit on the scope on the opposite end to the eyepiece. So a large proportion of the sun's rays are blocked from entering the scope.

I have no experience about how suitable your modded camera is though.  I would guess probably not great, but you still capture some detail.

Have you used your camera with the scope before, on the moon? I was wondering about focus issues.

More than happy to give help where I can 🙂

3 hours ago, ninjageezer said:

Buy some of the film linked below and give it ago, its a cheap way to try. I've been using this film and also the Baader Continuum filter, DSLR and f10 scope and been getting some results I'm more than happy with. You wont be able to do full disc images though with the x5 barlow. Your camera will work, you may struggle with resolution, you may not, the scope, lunt wedge and camera used above will certainly be better on resolution but you never know. I've been using my 6D and Fuji XT2, live view is really handy to help locate the sun alongside a solar finder which is really easy to make, focus is made a little easier if you can zoom in with the live view. 

AstroSolar Photo Film OD 3.8 | First Light Optics 

Edited by Rustang

4 hours ago, Pete Presland said:

The first thing to say is DONT use any of those cheap solar filters found on eBay, that screw into the eyepiece.

Solar imaging is very rewarding, but can also be dangerous if the correct filters are not used .

No offense, but  "Basic" is not really a term I would like to use about solar filters.

Cheapest way is to buy some Baader solar and make a filter for your refractor.  You can also buy premade filters to fit your aperture. These both fit on the scope on the opposite end to the eyepiece. So a large proportion of the sun's rays are blocked from entering the scope.

I have no experience about how suitable your modded camera is though.  I would guess probably not great, but you still capture some detail.

Have you used your camera with the scope before, on the moon? I was wondering about focus issues.

More than happy to give help where I can 🙂

Hi many thanks for the advice ,i was looking at this filter https://www.rothervalleyoptics.co.uk/seymour-solar-sf375-375-type-2-glass-solar-filter.html and i have had some good results on the moon using the powermate and also a 2x barlow ,ive got the back focus sorted as well .

what would the benefit of a lunt wedge give over the dedicated front filter, sorry for maybe a daft question.

Edited by ninjageezer

The Wedge gives slightly better views, but is more expensive. Also once it is fitted in position its not going fall off.  A Continuum filter will improve the images definitely, or a dark green filter is a decent cheaper alternative.

I would be tempted to buy a Baader ready made filter if you want a premade one. It wont break if you drop it and the film is probably the best blocking filter material. Not sure whether a 3.8 version is available, but i think a 5.0 version would be ok. At least you can use it visually and photographically as well.

ASBF: AstroSolar Binocular Filter OD 5.0 (50mm - 100mm) (baader-planetarium.com)

• Like 1

On 05/04/2022 at 17:36, ninjageezer said:

Hi many thanks for the advice ,i was looking at this filter https://www.rothervalleyoptics.co.uk/seymour-solar-sf375-375-type-2-glass-solar-filter.html and i have had some good results on the moon using the powermate and also a 2x barlow ,ive got the back focus sorted as well .

what would the benefit of a lunt wedge give over the dedicated front filter, sorry for maybe a daft question.

Baader film will give better results than cheap glass filters - like the one in your link. Film is a great way to get started if you’re on a budget - in fact the results are pretty close to those provided by a full Herschel wedge. 

• Like 2