Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

La Palma session 3

Ags

This is the preport, what I am planning on observing after the lights go out at 22h00 (the island has an astronomical curfew, very civilized).

Pleiades - they might be too low, but I am curious to see if I can spot some nebulosity.

Orion - M42, M43, Running Man, M78.

Canis Major - M41 (dog's heart), fuzziness above dogs head including clusters NGC 2343, 2335, above the tail NGC 2354, C64

Puppis - Messier 47, 46, 93, NGC 2467

Gemini - M35, NGC 2264 (Monoceros really)

Edited by Ags
  • Like 4

It is atill fuming apparently. One town up the coast is still evacuated due to noxious gasses. There are 200 displaced local people staying in our hotel.

In perhaps my biggest astronomy fail yet, I  just realized I forgot to pack the special usb cable for the ASI camera. A fantastically expensive mistake! I wonder if computer shops sell those kind of usb cables?

Edited by Ags

For some reason the lights aren't going out on schedule tonight. Successfully bagged M47 and M46 - together making a nice and different kind of double cluster. Having trouble with the clusters around CMa, too many star clouds. Paid a quick visit to M35  36, 37, 38 while waiting for lights off.

Edit: the lights went out 40 minutes later than usual. Obviously not on a timer. 

Edited by Ags
  • Like 1

57 minutes ago, Ags said:

It is atill fuming apparently. One town up the coast is still evacuated due to noxious gasses. There are 200 displaced local people staying in our hotel.

In perhaps my biggest astronomy fail yet, I  just realized I forgot to pack the special usb cable for the ASI camera. A fantastically expensive mistake! I wonder if computer shops sell those kind of usb cables?

So it's not calming down quietly yet...

Cable wise, I'm sure that they do, do you know what you need, or micro , mini b?

Its a weird connector I haven't seen elsewhere - I'll photo it when I get in.

Add M93 (new to me) to tonight's haul. 

NGC 2343 spotted - new to me. MUCH less impressive than the surrounding star field, that's why I missed it earlier.

NGC 2423 spotted, hiding behind M47 and 46.

Edited by Ags
  • Like 1

So a successful visual night, but the astrophoto afterparty got cancelled due to no cable. I bagged a few new Messiers - 46, 47 and 93, and revisited 35, 36, 37, 38 and 41. Not to mention 45, 42, 43, Running Man and 78. Also got a few new NGCs, 2343, 2335 and 2423. I spotted one double star, the A-C split of Mintaka.

Highlight of the evening was Messier 46 and 47 and NGC 2423 all visible in the 20mm plossl - staggeringly beautiful. Also the rich star fields around CMa - back home the same sky is just a few pale dots on a grey background.

As I also forgot my red light torch, I was relying on technology in the form of the Stellarium Plus android app. Worked quite well, especially for zooming right in and identifying the fainter NGCs.

All observing done with 66 mm refractor and a 20 mm plossl. I occasionally used a 9 mm when identifying the fainter clusters, and to split the Trapezium. Seeing wasn't good, the stars smeared around in the 9 mm.

I can't understand how Caldwell 64 eluded me, but I will try again soon.

Edited by Ags
  • Like 6

1 hour ago, Same old newbie alert said:

So it's not calming down quietly yet...

It's not erupting any more, but I think all the lava is still giving off lots of gasses. 

Forgot to mention, also saw NGC 1981. Not the first time I have seen it, but the first time I have put a name to the mob of bright stars north of M42.

Edited by Ags
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, Ags said:

So a successful visual night, but the astrophoto afterparty got cancelled due to no cable. I bagged a few new Messiers - 46, 47 and 93, and revisited 35, 36, 37, 38 and 41. Not to mention 45, 42, 43, Running Man and 78. Also got a few new NGCs, 2343, 2335 and 2423. I spotted one double star, the A-C split of Mintaka.

Highlight of the evening was Messier 46 and 47 and NGC 2423 all visible in the 20mm plossl - staggeringly beautiful. Also the rich star fields around CMa - back home the same sky is just a few pale dots on a grey background.

As I also forgot my red light torch, I was relying on technology in the form of the Stellarium Plus android app. Worked quite well, especially for zooming right in and identifying the fainter NGCs.

All observing done with 66 mm refractor and a 20 mm plossl. I occasionally used a 9 mm when identifying the fainter clusters, and to split the Trapezium. Seeing wasn't good, the stars smeared around in the 9 mm.

I can't understand how Caldwell 64 eluded me, but I will try again soon.

No, we're not jealous at all.....😥

• Haha 1

By a long distance, my best visual night ever. Should have brought my ES 20/68 rather than the Plossl though...

Going for another session tonight. I'll try and spot the planetary hiding in M46. I've seen the planetary before in a 16 inch dob, let's see how 2 and a bit inches do.

Edited by Ags
  • Like 1

I found a shop that stocks the cable, only problem is the smouldering volcanic wreckage between me and them. I may have to take a grand tour of the island to get a little cable!

Good luck with the viewing, hope the weather stays good. I have to say we would love to move out there, not least because of the volcano, it's all fascinating. As for the weather, well I would love to leave frost behind, never mind much lower rainfall. Just a shame we will probably never manage it. Ah well, as Del Boy would say: " This time next year Rodney... " :smiley:

1 hour ago, Greymouser said:

I have to say we would love to move out there

We've thought about it a lot. We have been viewing properties on this trip, but we've decided to rent holiday cottages instead. I will negotiate workation trips with my employer (my work is entirely online anyway).

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Ags said:

We've thought about it a lot. We have been viewing properties on this trip, but we've decided to rent holiday cottages instead. I will negotiate workation trips with my employer (my work is entirely online anyway).

Oh, now I am very envious, sorry. :embarassed: You are lucky for two reasons then: Firstly you work online so can earn a living pretty much anywhere; secondly, you live in an EU country, so that includes anywhere in the EU! Win, win if you ask me. :smiley:

Just one question: If you end up moving out there, have a home with a garden, would you mind if I came out there with my tent and camped in your garden? :grin::wink:

( It's OK, they would never let me in...  :rolleyes2: )