Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Tonight between clouds with a 180 Mak

Trevor N

Seeing was much better early evening but as soon as broken cloud drifted in it all went downhill. Strange how the conditions can change so rapidly.

All shots taken at prime focus of a 180 Mak with an ASI 178 mono camera

Bay of Rainbows 180 Mak pf.jpg

Gassendi 180 Mak.jpg

Plato - Alpine Valley 180 Mak a March2020.jpg

Tycho Clavius Mak 180.jpg

Edited by Trevor N
Wrong file
  • Like 9

1 hour ago, neil phillips said:

Some good resolution there Trevor well done. Did you use a filter ?

Thanks Neil. Yes, I used a 685 IR filter. It made quite a difference even looking at the screen. Once the seeing changed that was it. I don’t think I’ve seen such a rapid change before. If I had set up later I don’t think I would have got anything usable to be honest. Seems a bit like fishing. You never know what you’ll get even when it is clear 😃😃

11 minutes ago, Trevor N said:

Thanks Neil. Yes, I used a 685 IR filter. It made quite a difference even looking at the screen. Once the seeing changed that was it. I don’t think I’ve seen such a rapid change before. If I had set up later I don’t think I would have got anything usable to be honest. Seems a bit like fishing. You never know what you’ll get even when it is clear 😃😃

It does make a huge difference. IR685 is the sweet spot for UK Skies. And yes seeing can nose dive quite quick. The art is getting everything right settings cooldown focusing ect, and catching the good seeing, your doing good. Keep doing it and you will do even better

54 minutes ago, morimarty said:

Some very nice images there Trevor but the Clavius/Tycho image is the stand out one for me. The detail in this image is excellent you certainly captured a window of good seeing with this one.

Thanks Martyn. I always seem drawn to that area if it’s visible. Clavius particularly for some reason. The small craterlets on the floor are always a good challenge 

Edited by Trevor N

8 hours ago, chiltonstar said:

Some superb images Trevor. Shows what a good scope the Mak is for resolution!

Chris

Thanks Chris. If the conditions are right and it’s allowed time to cool it does a good job. I’ve been pleased with it. Trevor 

• Like 1

On 16/03/2022 at 19:39, Pete Presland said:

The Mak180  "Planet killer" is killing the Moon as well, great looking images.

Thanks Pete. If the conditions are right is does seem a capable bit of kit. Trevor

• Like 1