Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Calling all Scopetech Zero owners - advice needed

badhex

Hello all

I recently picked up a Scopetech Zero as a lightweight option with slow-motion controls, as I've never really got on with the fully manual, push only AZT6. 

For its first outing I paired it with a TS 102 F7 ED (same as the Starfield), a 50mm RACI and the aluminium tripod from the AZ-GTi, and some older slo-motion cables. Unfortunately, I encountered a few issues, listed below, certainly some of which are not the fault of the mount and some which are maybe just teething issues. 

I would welcome any feedback, ideas or experience from others on how to solve some of the challenges I have encountered. 

- Higher powers didn't fare well, but I believe the tripod legs to be at fault - they are not sturdy enough for a scope of this size, IMO. I am looking at other tripod options here (another thread in the mounts section) 

- The bolt inside the SW tripod extension came loose more than once due to pushing the scope manually in the Az axis. The az axis clutch was not that tight, but this is probably more likely the tripod at fault. 

- Those 🤬 slow motion cables! continually dropping off. I actually bought push-fit knobs but they are slightly too tight to fit, despite supposedly being relatively standard skywatcher etc. compatible. Again not the mount's fault but very frustrating. Better options needed! 

- Very sensitive to balance which maybe contributed to tension issues below. I particularly found issues nearer zenith, and I think the RACI being at 45° from parallel to the alt axis is the culprit, as this would shift the center of balance slightly as the alt angle of the scope changes. I think I can solve this by rotating the focuser so that the RACI is parallel to the Alt axis? The whole payload is only something like 5.5kg so well within the Zero's capabilities. 

- Some backlash and tension issues on the Alt axis. I couldn't seem to get the tension right, and I had a problem where if I "backed off" the slo-mo by a tiny amount (16th of a turn), the scope would drift - again more so nearer zenith. Is this normal? How tight is the clutch supposed to be? I had read that you should not tighten the clutches too much, but I felt like they needed to be quite tight so that the worm gear engaged. 

- I assume I will need to adjust the worm gears slightly, and looking at the pictures below you can see that both Alt and Az are nothing like square. Az didn't seem to have issues, so will start with Alt and see how I get on. Perhaps this will solve it the "backing off" issue described above? 

Any help or advice much appreciated as always! 

Alt worm housing

20220310_085317.thumb.jpg.d2e948a1a673aa9036347ffd083154c2.jpg

AZ worm housing

20220310_085528.thumb.jpg.febd816e49f3a3362284536f682aae18.jpg

The whole setup

20220309_201806.thumb.jpg.039ded41c1f68136c68e2a40a9ff04ce.jpg

I have ordered a Mount Zero which is due to arrive today so I can’t answer any of your questions……yet….but I’m interested in your use of the SW tripod extension pier, I have one of these which I use with my AZ5 but I was under the impression that it wouldn’t really fit with the Zero (I can’t explain why I thought that) Apologies for hijacking your post but does anyone else use this extension with the Zero???

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Jiggy 67 said:

I have one of these which I use with my AZ5

image.png.651fd762e9ed773ee2ead9fca081b1a0.png

This one? If so, yes it fits. My issue was that the bolt at the top came slightly loose a couple of times when pushing the mount, and if this happens you obviously have to remove the scope, mount and the whole white upper piece to tight it again.

Could be it was not tight enough, and/or the shiny white paint is a bit slippy, so I have thought of sandwiching a thin rubber disc between to stop it slipping.

All of this said, you may find depending on the size of your scope that the black and white Ali tripod is not sturdy enough. I didn't feel it worked well with the 102 F7. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, badhex said:

image.png.651fd762e9ed773ee2ead9fca081b1a0.png

This one? If so, yes it fits. My issue was that the bolt at the top came slightly loose a couple of times when pushing the mount, and if this happens you obviously have to remove the scope, mount and the whole white upper piece to tight it again.

Could be it was not tight enough, and/or the shiny white paint is a bit slippy, so I have thought of sandwiching a thin rubber disc between to stop it slipping.

All of this said, you may find depending on the size of your scope that the black and white Ali tripod is not sturdy enough. I didn't feel it worked well with the 102 F7. 

Definitely that tripod is not up to a 102mm f7 scope. I never really used mine when I had a AZGTi, I put it on something else and only used the tripod for very lightweight tasks.

I tend to have the clutches on my Zero done up fairly tight and use the slow motion controls. The original rods I had did fall off, same as yours, but I now have some old and more flexible Vixen ones which I really like, and have tightened them up using a screwdriver so they don’t fall off.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Stu said:

Definitely that tripod is not up to a 102mm f7 scope. I never really used mine when I had a AZGTi, I put it on something else and only used the tripod for very lightweight tasks.

I tend to have the clutches on my Zero done up fairly tight and use the slow motion controls. The original rods I had did fall off, same as yours, but I now have some old and more flexible Vixen ones which I really like, and have tightened them up using a screwdriver so they don’t fall off.

Thanks Stu. My thoughts exactly. I have found the ali tripod was fine for AZ-GTi + ZS73 combo, but I expected it would not take the TS102, and it did not! RE the rods, ideally I'll try and get just knobs for it, but would you mind posting pictures of the ones that worked and the screw fitting when you get a moment?

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, johninderby said:

HollyHound used his Scopetech Zero on a Berlebach Report tripod and found it was a good match.

644C658E-F5F4-447D-B571-67AD07FB925E.jpeg

Hahah inching ever closer to a Berlebach... I will definitely keep it in mind although attempting not to buy *another* tripod due to space! working on a plan to use an existing one I have and see if it's better, so we will see!

• Like 1

Just for reference, here are a couple of videos. The first shows just how unbalanced the FC76DC is with the Coolwedge and binoviewers fitted to it, while the second shows that the mount still copes with it very well with no juddering or slip. I hope these work, I converted them from .mov to .mpg but they still say .mov!!

• Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, Stu said:

Just for reference, here are a couple of videos. The first shows just how unbalanced the FC76DC is with the Coolwedge and binoviewers fitted to it, while the second shows that the mount still copes with it very well with no juddering or slip. I hope these work, I converted them from .mov to .mpg but they still say .mov!!

IMG_5194.MOV IMG_5193.MOV

Thanks Stu! Unfortunately I can't get the attachments though, it says they don't exist.

38 minutes ago, badhex said:

Thanks Stu! Unfortunately I can't get the attachments though, it says they don't exist.

I thought that might happen, I’ll try again a different way, maybe on YT.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, badhex said:

Hello all

I recently picked up a Scopetech Zero as a lightweight option with slow-motion controls, as I've never really got on with the fully manual, push only AZT6. 

For its first outing I paired it with a TS 102 F7 ED (same as the Starfield), a 50mm RACI and the aluminium tripod from the AZ-GTi, and some older slo-motion cables. Unfortunately, I encountered a few issues, listed below, certainly some of which are not the fault of the mount and some which are maybe just teething issues. 

I would welcome any feedback, ideas or experience from others on how to solve some of the challenges I have encountered. 

- Higher powers didn't fare well, but I believe the tripod legs to be at fault - they are not sturdy enough for a scope of this size, IMO. I am looking at other tripod options here (another thread in the mounts section) 

- The bolt inside the SW tripod extension came loose more than once due to pushing the scope manually in the Az axis. The az axis clutch was not that tight, but this is probably more likely the tripod at fault. 

- Those 🤬 slow motion cables! continually dropping off. I actually bought push-fit knobs but they are slightly too tight to fit, despite supposedly being relatively standard skywatcher etc. compatible. Again not the mount's fault but very frustrating. Better options needed! 

- Very sensitive to balance which maybe contributed to tension issues below. I particularly found issues nearer zenith, and I think the RACI being at 45° from parallel to the alt axis is the culprit, as this would shift the center of balance slightly as the alt angle of the scope changes. I think I can solve this by rotating the focuser so that the RACI is parallel to the Alt axis? The whole payload is only something like 5.5kg so well within the Zero's capabilities. 

- Some backlash and tension issues on the Alt axis. I couldn't seem to get the tension right, and I had a problem where if I "backed off" the slo-mo by a tiny amount (16th of a turn), the scope would drift - again more so nearer zenith. Is this normal? How tight is the clutch supposed to be? I had read that you should not tighten the clutches too much, but I felt like they needed to be quite tight so that the worm gear engaged. 

- I assume I will need to adjust the worm gears slightly, and looking at the pictures below you can see that both Alt and Az are nothing like square. Az didn't seem to have issues, so will start with Alt and see how I get on. Perhaps this will solve it the "backing off" issue described above? 

Any help or advice much appreciated as always! 

Alt worm housing

20220310_085317.thumb.jpg.d2e948a1a673aa9036347ffd083154c2.jpg

AZ worm housing

20220310_085528.thumb.jpg.febd816e49f3a3362284536f682aae18.jpg

The whole setup

20220309_201806.thumb.jpg.039ded41c1f68136c68e2a40a9ff04ce.jpg

I am amazed anyone still buys these heads, there always seems to be a problem with them somewhere. A very expensive mount not to work perfectly out of the box 📦 

• Sad 2

1 hour ago, Carl Au said:

I am amazed anyone still buys these heads, there always seems to be a problem with them somewhere. A very expensive mount not to work perfectly out of the box 📦 

There do seem to be a number of reports of mounts needing adjustment which obviously shouldn’t happen. The unit I have needed a fairly straightforward adjustment to get it how I wanted it, and has been fine ever since.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Carl Au said:

In general I haven't read much negative feedback about them, but you will always get some teething problems I suppose. As mentioned in my notes, many of the problems I've experienced are not directly to do with the mount itself. 

A few here and a few on CN. I don’t like slo mo with the cables which never seem to be where I want them, but I was interested in these heads and was prepared to give them a go, but I just couldn’t get one now. I think there’s to much doubt over them long term. Seen a few for sale recently, there’s another one for sale on here at the moment too

Edited by Carl Au

19 minutes ago, Stu said:

Should be sorted now 👍

Thanks Stu! Very helpful. I'm going to give it a fettle tmw and see where I'm at, maybe stick it on the eq-6 tripod for testing purposes. Hopefully should be able to replicate that nice smooth action in your videos! 

6 hours ago, Carl Au said:

I did quite a bit of research before buying this mount (only received today) and I don’t recall ever reading a negative review. We’ll see…..

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Jiggy 67 said:

I did quite a bit of research before buying this mount (only received today) and I don’t recall ever reading a negative review. We’ll see…..

Hopefully you don't have any issues! What scope are you planning to use it with? 

The Zero arrived yesterday and I can’t fault it at the moment. I appear to have been lucky straight out of the box and no adjustment needed (though the altitude axis tension knob does turn when it is moved, even when tight…..is that supposed to happen???…the azimuth one doesn’t). Very impressed with the engineering quality and it appears (at the moment) to be an upgrade on the AZ5

78DAE42B-F308-429A-BE9E-7895F4B96568.thumb.jpeg.9dd24956ef947a2c532d80dfad8d52f6.jpeg

• Like 2