Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Obsevation Report 5th April 2006

Observing Notes For 5th April 2130hrs – 0130hrs.

Temperature ranging from 3 degrees to -3 degrees

Transparency 8/10.

Seeing 8/10.

Moon 25%

Telescopes used

8” Newtonian Reflector on HEQ5

ED80 Pro Piggy backed

120mm Refractor on EQ3 driven in RA only.

After weeks of poor conditions and no real observations, it was a real surprise when the weather forecasters finally got the weather right for the most part of the week!

During the daytime of the 5th April, crystal clear blue sky gave rise to my first solar observation (Thanks to Steve), who set up a Coronado PST solar scope outside his shop for us to have a look through. We observed three small sun spots and several prominences. A fascinating insight into another area of Astronomy.

At about 8pm I began setting up my scopes, I decided to out all three out as I decided to be prepared for every eventuality!

Later in the evening Steve brought his 80mm refractor out to my place and we began to plan several observation targets for that evening whilst things were cooling down.

My first target was Saturn, firstly to align the ED80 with the 8” Newt and to set the RA/DEC coordinates. After alignment was completed we spent time observing the giant. I also aligned and used the 120mm refractor but this was used more as a “Spare” Scope. (See Saturn report in relevant section).

We then decided to have a go at splitting one of Ian’s (Lunator) Double stars. I’ll leave that report to Steve!!

Steve wanted to have another look at the King Cobra (M67). Due to the moon, I had trouble finding this one. Steve found it in his 80mm. Nice to find it but due to the vicinity of the moon not really an object you could really study.

Due to my house and the area in which I set up the scope, it was not possible to hunt down the Nova in Cygnus (However it would have been visible from 0130 from my driveway!!) Sorry daz.

We then completed some lunar observations experimenting with varying magnifications up to a maximum of 333x!!!

We then began packing the scopes away when I noticed Jupiter rising over the conservatory!! By this time it was 0100am and I had to get up at 0430am to go to work…….Tough one!! Grabbed the ED80 and put that back on the mount first…..Then grabbed the Newt and put that back on the mount!!

A superb object. (See report in relevant section).

Finally got to bed around 0200am!!

We then decided to have a go at splitting one of Ian’s (Lunator) Double stars. I’ll leave that report to Steve!!

A while back, Ian (Lunator) posted a heads up in the Astro Lounge http://tinyurl.com/ryfu3 where he said:

Mars is currently in between zeta & beta Taurus.

At present it is within 0.5 degrees of the Double Star 118 Tau a mag 5.8/6.6 pair about 5" apart. Quite easy to split as the are similar brightness x50 will be enough and will keep Mars in the same FOV.

Which is fine, except that Greg and I couldn't find it! Back in the warm, we fired up StarryNight, noted its coordinates and Greg centered it using the HEQ5s setting circles. Then we realised that we, OK ... I, had misunderstood what Ian had said!! We were expecting to split it at 50x

Now that 118 Tau was centered, we cranked up the magnification to 200x and there she was, or should I say 'there they were'.

Nice one Ian :thumbleft:

(I feel sure us 'Star Splitters' ought to have an extra star (binary, of course) under our user names 8))

Steve wanted to have another look at the King Cobra (M67). Due to the moon, I had trouble finding this one. Steve found it in his 80mm. Nice to find it but due to the vicinity of the moon not really an object you could really study.

Interesting that it was easier to see the King Cobra against the moonglow thru the smaller 80mm refractor than the 200mm Newtonian. Also, increasing magnification improved things further by darkening the background, which helped the cluster stand out in contrast.

We then completed some lunar observations experimenting with varying magnifications up to a maximum of 333x!!!

Stunning, absolutely stunning!

I'll post more later in the right section as I have a couple of questions :lol:

Archived