Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Happy birthday Pluto!

lukebl

Hey, I'm surprised that no-one else has mentioned that today is the 92nd anniversary of the discovery of Pluto.

Let's raise a glass to Clyde Tombaugh, and to Pluto.

I always make an effort to image it once a year. Always a planet to me.

• Like 9

Clyde was an inspiration to me as a kid.  I had the book "The Search for Planet X" and about wore it out.  I still have the book to this day.   I got to meet him at TSP back in the 90s and forgot to take the book with me for him to sign !!!   (Stupid, Stupid....Stupid!!!!!) 8^P

Clyde told a great story about stopping in the dark to "pat a dog" while walking to the 13" Astrograph dome ......the next morning they found mountain lion tracks on the path !!!!!!!

Clyde_W._Tombaugh.jpeg

Clyde and his scope.jpg

Edited by CCD-Freak
  • Like 8

You may be aware that the name Pluto was suggested by an 11 year old  English girl called Venetia Burney, after her grandfather pointed out the newspaper article about its discovery. 

As it happens,  her great uncle had suggested the names Phobos and  Deimos for the moons of Mars.

• Like 4

8 hours ago, Gfamily said:

You may be aware that the name Pluto was suggested by an 11 year old  English girl called Venetia Burney, after her grandfather pointed out the newspaper article about its discovery. 

A story that is available in print:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Girl-Who-Named-Pluto-Venetia/dp/1524768316/ref=sr_1_1?crid=1PR1ER2GWVT9O&keywords=girl+who+named+pluto&qid=1645434172&sprefix=girl%20who%20named%20pluto%2Caps%2C75&sr=8-1

pluto.jpg.30fb56f78230afaabcffc19b4e782ca1.jpg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Its a good thing it was named as it was. If my grandad, an astronmer himsself, had got to the ringing phone in time it would instead have been named "this is a ******* windup!"

I seem to be one of the few happy with the new dwarf designation, but it never appealed to me much when it was a planet.

Edited by Roy Cropper