Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Show us your homemade telescopes!

2 hours ago, spacegalaxy said:

Wow, that is a monster of refractors,
I wonder what the rod in the front of the mount is and connected to the refractor is?

It is called a Hargreaves strut. It moves with the telescope tube and and declination axis.
Reinforcing the tube and declination axis against possible flexure by simple triangulation.
Large refractors have very heavy lenses [and cells] with considerable moment.
[Moment = mass x distance from a pivot point]

• Like 1

On 21/02/2022 at 18:04, Alan White said:

Interesting thread.
Looking at all this scope building or rebuilding, has it been cloudy lately??

A more sensible post from me, is those scopes all look wonderful,
somehow I foresee a longer focal length refractor tempting me at some point,
perhaps sooner than I had truly considered.

Be aware that long refractors are very demanding of the telescope mounting. 
They also require very tall and stiff piers [or tripods] to be able to "get under" the eyepiece.
Even with a star diagonal or solar wedge in place you can easily find you develop permanently muddy knees. :blush:

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Rusted said:

My posts are not appearing after I "submit." 

It just says "saving" but the post does not shown as published.

Hmm, you should post the problem in the errors forum, maybe they will respond? I wonder why that happened......

P.S. Can you start a new topic or is it the same thing with posts? If you can't I think you can email them.

Edited by spacegalaxy

10 hours ago, mikeDnight said:

That looks like a superb rooftop observing site Michael. Was it an unusually warm day? I notice there were no leaves on the trees. :happy2:

It was unusually warm, and I tend to be rather cold resistant (handy attribute, in this hobby). That rooftop was pretty good, indeed. It is sad we had to sell the house when my mother passed away. I would gladly have moved there. 

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Heres some pics of my atm build a 131 mm fl1200 achromat from AliExpress made everything myself hand lay up of the carbon fiber tube ,tube rings focuser currently inthe process of building a goto eq mount using onstep controller  IMG_20211019_174413.thumb.jpg.299b42684c231de797b2a08815dd320a.jpgIMG_20210323_161606.thumb.jpg.f87d315be7842bed3539630072a504e3.jpgIMG_20211019_174255.thumb.jpg.0426de5f75d4d3d416675ca6e30b7d5f.jpg

Edited by Mph100
  • Like 4