Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

NGC5005, NGC5033, IC4182 and others

Beyond_Vision

I was going to go for Markarians Chain of Galaxies but decided to have a stab at something I haven't seen before. I fired up Starry Night Pro Plus 6 and had a scan around the area of Virgo and Coma Berinices and then spotted an unusual grouping of Galaxies near Canes Vanatici. The most unusal galaxy one was on the right of the image. It's an irregular galaxy called IC4182

Here's a link to a NOAO image taken at the Kitt Peak 2.1m telescope for reference

http://www.noao.edu/image_gallery/html/im0413.html

picture.php?albumid=74&pictureid=1120

Annotated Version

picture.php?albumid=74&pictureid=1183

Regards

Kevin

Nicely done Kev, Busy round there aint it... crying out for an all night long mosaicing session....

Billy...

Yes there should be plenty of opportunities to bag several galaxies in the same frame in and around this part of the sky :lol:

Thanks for the nice comments all :blob8:

Regards

Kevin

What a great region, and nicely captured and processed.

Kevin, I know Pixinsight is good, but these type of images are really helped in contrast and smoothness with proper flats and bias frames I find. Have you tried them with the qhy8 yet?

Awesome image Kevin and a very interesting part of the sky. I especially like IC4182, being irregular like that it must be tough trying to get any detail out of it.

Sam

Very fine collection of galaxies you have there Kevin - and I'm carefully saying 'galaxies' not 'fuzzies'! You have a real amount of structure showing there especially in 5033!

The faint one to the left which you've labelled "????" - well, CdC plus the PGC add-on came up with the goods, it's UGC 8314 aka PGC 46009, if you fancy filling in the gap...

Archived