Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Some suggestions please?

Hi all,

Was out having a quick look with the binos at around 20:45 tonight. Something moving quite fast caught my eye coming in from the south-east. It was like a faint star, moving in a straight line, went right over my head, at a constant speed. I looked at it through the binos and it took only a second or so for it to disappear out of view. It did not have any flashing lights, and was most definitely not a plane. Do you think this could have been a satellite? Have any of you seen one overhead, and does my description sound similar?

Thanks,

Amanda

Satellites are fun to see. Sometimes you spot the movement out the corner of your eye whilst looking at something else. I usually spot them when there's a meteor shower about, and I'm lying out on the sun lounger, looking out for the zap of a perseid of suchlike. The ISS is something else. REALLY bright and moves pretty fast.

Andy

Hi Amanda, you can't mistake the ISS for any other satellite, it's as bright as Jupiter. :lol: The overhead passes take about 5 minutes to go from horizon to horizon, so there's plenty of time to follow it with binoculars. Hope you get to see it some day, it's magical.

Btw, it's a good idea to synchronize your watch with the time on HA before going out (couldn't understand why I was missing everything for so long :blob8:).

Thanks for that Talitha, I hope I will see it soon too. If it's as bright as Jupiter, it must be a magical sight. I will be sure to synchronize my watch, so thankyou for that tip, I probably would have spent a long time wondering why I kept missing it just like you! Just have to wait for the clouds to go away now :)

Watch out for the timings... The predictions for the ISS for my location often seem to be up to 3 minutes early, so even if you don't spot it at the predicted time, hang in there for a few minutes. Iridium flares and the other satellites are spot on though.

I was in rural France last year and you can see sats with the naked eye passing over, they were the first i`d ever seen, like a faint star moving at a quick pace accoss the sky, you would be amazed how many there are i could see 5 or 6 a night easy.

Iridium satellites are a group of communication satellites. They are quite small, but have 3 very reflective panels on them. At just the right time and angle, they can flare up really brightly (mag -8) for about 20 seconds. It's key to be looking at roughly the right point. I've posted quite a few shots of flares, but here's a couple of threads with the images.

here and here

HTH

Archived