Targets –Listed in RA

118 Tau

Moon

HJ2302 – Measuring

Saturn

Zeta Cnc

38 Lynx (and any near neighbours)

Gamma Leo

I had put the scope out to cool at dusk and could see the sky was going to be better than average if not quite excellent.

I started with a naked eye view of the Moon, Mars, Beta and Zeta Tau; they made a very pleasant site in as the sky got dark.

118 Tau

I was interested to see how far Mars had moved relative to 118 Tau. A couple of nights ago they were in the same FOV of my 9mm Ortho which has true FOV of about 0.3 degrees with the F6 scope. Tonight they were considerably further apart. The word Planet means ‘wanderer’ in Greek and Mars is certainly ‘wandering’ at the moment. 118 tau is a close but bright white pair that should be easy to split in most scopes.

Moon

As the Moon would be dropping down into the North West quite quickly I decided to take a few images using my Mobile. Some were ok some were poor. The main problem was the aircraft flying into Heathrow. They go directly over my house if they are landing on the Southern runway and the exhausts really mess up the seeing!!

I also took a few images using my Fuji A607 but as my Desktop is broken I have no means of downloading them at present. I will post them as soon as I am able (if they are any good)

I also noticed that there was a relatively bright star (7th-8th Mag) close to the Northern limb of the Moon. It could only be seen as that part of the Moon was still dark. I had never seen this before and it was interesting to see.

At about 20:00 UT a strip of cloud blew in and covered the Moon. To the South and North of this strip it was clear.

HJ2302

For double star measurements you are expected to take measurements on at least 3 nights to get an accurate average.

I had got several measurements a couple of night ago and was determined to add to them tonight.

I set the dial up and put the illuminated eyepiece in at set it to 45 degrees.

The timings were as follows

Timing1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Mean

1 1.12 1.41 0.85 0.75 1 1.13 0.94 1.09 1.03

My mean timing from the previous measurement was 1.02 so I was pleased that theses were close.

Only one more night to go to get a number I can submit.

Saturn

As HJ2302 started to drop into the LP of Richmond I move the scope east to look at Saturn.

I took a few photos with the Fuji and will post them soon. Most were taken at x266 using the 9mm & Barlow.

The Cassini division was clear the there were 5 Moons easily spotted. The Southern belt was also very clear.

Zeta Cnc

The seeing had settled down and I thought I would have a look at Zeta Cnc to see if the close pair could be split. I was pleased to find that at x266 the tight pair was a clear split with 2 stars nestled next to each other. All 3 stars had an orange hue.

I did try to take a photo using my mobile in ‘night mode’ and although it registered something the image was just a ‘blue blob’ not even an ‘orange blob’.

38 Lynx & 2 STF doubles

My central objective tonight was to observe some doubles in Lynx. A constellation not really noted by most as it is faint and has nothing of note in it. It is actually quite a large constellation (Larger than Gemini) introduced in 1687 by Johannes Hevelius to fill the gap between Ursa Major and Auriga and it does just that, it fills the gap.

From Suburban skies the only stars easily seen are Alpha Lyncis a red giant 220+ LY away and 38 Lyncis (STF1334)

21.50UT

38 Lyncis is a tight split at x133 in the 8 inch scope but was easy at x266. The Primary is white with the secondary appearing pale yellow/orange to my eyes. I had estimated the separation as 4” and the last measure had it at 2.7”. I put the PA at around 200 and the last measurement was 225 degrees.

22.00UT

In between 38 & Alpha Lyncis is another double STF1333. This is a magnitude 6 tight white pair. I had estimated the PA as 40-50 degrees & separation 2” (WDS - 49/1.8”)

Although this pair is tight because the stars are of nearly equal magnitude they can be split more easily than would be expected.

22.10UT

The final pair was a much tougher split. STF 1338 is a tight mag. 6.5 & 7 pair.

I could not split them at x133 and at x266 they were split for periods of good seeing. I had the PA as 270 and the separation as 1” (WDS 290/1.1). The colour I noted as off-white. This is a binary of 300 years so will show change over time.

At this point my batteries in the drives gave out and as I had to be up the next morning I decided to just push the scope around to see a few things before I called it a night.

Gamma Leo & other sights in Leo

A bright easy orange pair ideal as a starter double, Alpha Leo very wide proper motion pair split at the lowest powers.

The Moon was setting behind some houses so the sky was getting darker just out of interest I would have ago at a galaxy.

I pointed the scope at 73 Leo and put in the 18mm Ortho (0.66 degrees true FOV)

I could see a galaxy oriented North/South, and with a chain of stars off to the East. The Nucleus was quite bright and it was obviously elongated. Looking at my Uranometrica I think the galaxy was M65 as it was narrow but it could have been M66. Which ever one it was it is the 1st time I’ve seen it from my back garden.

At 22.30UT I called it a night and came I to warm up, had work the next day.

I will add this too the Blog soon.

Cheers

Ian

You really had a busy evening. Thanks for sharing. I also think that double stars are really interesting.

My mean timing from the previous measurement was 1.02 so I was pleased that theses were close.

Can you explain "timings" to me please?

Saso

You really had a busy evening. Thanks for sharing. I also think that double stars are really interesting.

Can you explain "timings" to me please?

Saso

Sure Saso

The timings above are in seconds.

I have a stop watch and a crosshair eyepiece. I turn the cross hair so I can time the gap betwwen when the 2 stars cross the cross hair wire.

When the drives are switched off the stars drift across and I start the stopwatch when the 1st star hits the cross hiar wire. I stop the stopwatch when the second star hits the cross hair wire. In the case of HJ2302 the time between the 2 stars crossing the wire is about 1 second.

Cheers

Ian

Great report Ian thanks for sharing that. I guess your keeping full logs of your viewing sessions?.

Rob

Rob I do write up my reports. I have an A5 book that I use to write my observations down at the time. I try to write them long hand latter but I amnot always able too due to the time constraints we all live/work under.

The A5 book is a pretty good record of my observing schdule although I don't write everything up and I sometimes just in the mood to look and wonder and not write everything down.

Cheers

Ian

As always Ian, a fantastic report, I can't quite believe you manged to do all that within 3 hours... :shock: To say I'm in awe of your achievements would be an understatement... :lol:

Caz all these objects are bright so I don't waste anytime 'hunting them down' this does allow you to get alot more observing in.

The M66/M65 was just lucky. I pointed the scope at the right bit of sky and there it was.

Cheers

Ian

Archived