Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Powering my observatory.

maw lod qan

I'm hoping to finally be able to use a computer in the observatory and would like to have 110v power.

The problem for me is the run from my main to the observatory is close to 100 yards. That would call for large wires and buried conduit.

I'm considering solar, with a sine wave inverter along with a battery bank.

Any thoughts and suggestions will be appreciated.

• Like 1

Is no one helping you, perhaps no one has done what you suggest here in the UK.

Your idea of solar and a inverter sounds reasonable, but I have no idea how much stored power the inverter will need, but I do have experience of Solar power and energy stored in batteries.
In my camper van I have solar panels feeding two 12v 130 Ah Batteries,
this runs the vans 12v power incl fridge etc. for up to 48 hours without charge and very reliable.
UK solar charge will be more variable than you may get in Florida of course.

Good luck with whatever direction you take.

Edited by Alan White
added info

My observatory used to run on mains from the house (240v over here) - dropped down to 12v with a transformer.

Due to frequent power cuts (we are miles away from civilisation) I put three 140Ah 12v Leisure batteries in there and now the mains input is just for a small battery charger.

I could easily swap the battery charger for a solar panel except the Scottish Highlands are not noted for long periods of sun - maybe a water wheel or a hydroelectric system might be more appropriate but a solar panel should work well for you.

Do you really need 110v ???  

• Like 2

Right now both my old laptops have to be plugged in. They are so old the batteries are dead.

The little imaging I do try, it would be nice to dump it directly to a computer instead of fighting the card in my Canon.

Eventually I would like to get a proper camera. 

• Like 1

100 yards is not that long for a mains extension cable. That's what I would do. No need for a buried conduit if you unplug it when you are not using it. IMHO a solar panel with an invertor sound like a bad idea compared to a 90m extension cable...

I took a quick look. Running a 1mm sq cable you will only drop 3.4V with a 1A load and on a 100M run.
In round figures this is a busy laptop and a mount.
Not a huge cable and not a voltage drop to cause equipment issues.
In fact a cable rather like you see on decent extension reels.

I would though be temped to go for 1.5mmsq or even 2.5mm sq so you can run a dehumidifier, hair dryer, etc. with ease.

You can easily use online calculators to suit the strange units you will need to quote for wire sizing in the USA.
Everywhere in the world uses square millimetres for cable sizing.

HTH, David.