Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Takahashi FS-60CB vs. Skywatcher Evostar 72ED

18 minutes ago, Dean Hale said:

Just succumbed and bought the FS-60CB went for the cradle too rather than the more blue rings. I think i've just had a little wee with excitement!  

Think i may drop FLO an email to not post until Wednesday when my lovely is back in the office. 🙂 

Me too. In my panic to secure the last one forgot to order the cradle though!

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Surfer Chris said:

We are a marketeers dream. They X items in stock whilst extremely useful - it is the hook needed to push us into the purchase. Thanks for raising this as a subject. I'm sure we'll both be delighted.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Dantooine said:

Well at least you bought most of your gear before 2 months ago and congratulations,, I take it she said yes 👍 

I did, although snuck the FC-100DZ in last week... but to be fair that was "one in one out".

She did thankfully 😀 It was a surprise whilst we were on our (long delayed) holiday in Rhodes, and having been there before we knew of a lovely family jeweller and so that become my most expensive purchase this year, but she deserved it.... anyone putting up with me for so long does 🤣

Now it's just the wedding to pay for 😮 I wonder if there a tradition in Japan for the groom to receive a new triplet refractor as a wedding gift... If not, I'm sure there should be 🤔

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, Dean Hale said:

Just succumbed and bought the FS-60CB went for the cradle too rather than the more blue rings. I think i've just had a little wee with excitement!  

Think i may drop FLO an email to not post until Wednesday when my lovely is back in the office. 🙂 

The cradle is really nice... there are in fact two that fit that scope... one smaller one with a "foot" that allows the scope to be moved forward a bit more, but the normal cradle is great and of course they both fit the FC-76DCU should you ever choose to upgrade 😀

One small note... did you manage to order the Takahashi dovetail to go with the cradle, it has the specific 35mm spacing for the bolts on the cradle... however, in your case you can in fact just bold the cradle directly to the ScopeTech, but then you'd lose the ability to (easily) attach the StellaMira 🤔

Buying the Takahashi scope is the easy bit... you wait until you look at adaptors, cradles, accessories etc etc etc... in fact don't 🤣

• Like 2

I am eagerly waiting for the delivery already! Just need to drop it into conversation with the wife now that my finger slipped on the 'buy' button!!! 😬

Can anybody tell me if there is a reason not to buy the TKA20420 clamp (with protruding foot), considering I am likely to buy the CQ extender at some point over the next few months? I am aware there is a clamp for the FS-60CB and another different version for the FS-60Q???

And I was going to buy a Tak dovetail bar to mount into the Scopetech Zero cradle - unless anybody can recommend a good lighter alternative?

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Surfer Chris said:

As per my reply to Dean, there are two cradles that fit....

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/takahashi-cradles/takahashi-tka20420-tube-cradle-for-fs60cb.html

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/takahashi-cradles/takahashi-tka20420q-tube-cradle-for-fc-76dc-fs-60q.html

The first (with the "foot") is arguably more flexible, as you can push the scope forward a bit more for balance, but either works 👍

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

1 minute ago, Surfer Chris said:

I am eagerly waiting for the delivery already! Just need to drop it into conversation with the wife now that my finger slipped on the 'buy' button!!! 😬

Can anybody tell me if there is a reason not to buy the TKA20420 clamp (with protruding foot), considering I am likely to buy the CQ extender at some point over the next few months? I am aware there is a clamp for the FS-60CB and another different version for the FS-60Q???

And I was going to buy a Tak dovetail bar to mount into the Scopetech Zero cradle - unless anybody can recommend a good lighter alternative?

Fortunately, it's a relatively small box, so much less obtrusive than when my Mewlon arrived for example 🤣

I would get the "foot" version if you can, it's a touch more versatile and also a tiny bit lighter (not much). Having said that, if you are going to get the extender, balance becomes less of an issue.

• Like 1

As per this review... http://alpha-lyrae.co.uk/2018/03/31/takahashi-fs-60q-review/

Either will work, so it's really your choice... I have both, because I keep the larger (non foot) version on the ScopeTech and the other on a dovetail, but I have had them the other way round. Both cradles should come with the M8 bolts needed to attach to the dovetail (or indeed direct to any Takahashi/Vixen 35mm spacing compatible mount)

FYI... this is the dovetail you want, unless you can source a cheaper variant... https://www.firstlightoptics.com/takahashi-other-accessories/takahashi-tkp71423-dove-tail-male-for-mewlon-210.html

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, HollyHound said:

One small note... did you manage to order the Takahashi dovetail to go with the cradle, it has the specific 35mm spacing for the bolts on the cradle... however, in your case you can in fact just bold the cradle directly to the ScopeTech, but then you'd lose the ability to (easily) attach the StellaMira 🤔

Buying the Takahashi scope is the easy bit... you wait until you look at adaptors, cradles, accessories etc etc etc... in fact don't

I did look and to be honest it nearly put me off purchasing, still a little confused.com but over time it'll sink in. 

I ordered the cradle with the foot which seems to be the right choice. Thank you. However it seems i may have fallen foul already for the dovetail. I ordered the more blue version https://www.firstlightoptics.com/dovetails-saddles-clamps/more-blue-vixen-style-220mm-dovetail-bar.html however looking at the diagram is specifies 35mm so think it maybe ok?

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, HollyHound said:

Fortunately, it's a relatively small box, so much less obtrusive than when my Mewlon arrived for example 🤣

I would get the "foot" version if you can, it's a touch more versatile and also a tiny bit lighter (not much). Having said that, if you are going to get the extender, balance becomes less of an issue.

Unfortunately I am in the office Mon-Wed. So will not be here to intercept the delivery. The FLO sticker is going to be the giveaway (and Takahashi all down the side of the box). I might have to ask FLO for a slight delay to the delivery too.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Dean Hale said:

I did look and to be honest it nearly put me off purchasing, still a little confused.com but over time it'll sink in. 

I ordered the cradle with the foot which seems to be the right choice. Thank you. However it seems i may have fallen foul already for the dovetail. I ordered the more blue version https://www.firstlightoptics.com/dovetails-saddles-clamps/more-blue-vixen-style-220mm-dovetail-bar.html however looking at the diagram is specifies 35mm so think it maybe ok?

Pretty sure you'll be ok with this, it seems to have a few flexible options... the slot helps... worst case, you can bolt the cradle directly to your ScopeTech so you can get viewing 👍

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Dean Hale said:

As I have both of these dovetails and the cradles, I thought I'd give it a try for you.... it can be made to work with that cradle and the More Blue dovetail, but you'll need to substitute M6x20 bolts for the supplied M8 bolts and provide some suitable washers and nuts, as the holes on the cradle are just a tiny bit too big for M6 alone (without washers) and unfortunately the slot on the More Blue seems to small for M8 bolts!

If you want the elegant, secure solution, perhaps see if you can cancel the More Blue dovetail and substitute for the Tak one instead (although more expensive!) 🤔 

5815799D-B0FB-494A-9ABC-247F39446F35.jpeg

9D92653E-3CC3-4863-B5B4-78CBE7374696.jpeg

Edited by HollyHound
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, HollyHound said:

If you want the elegant, secure solution, perhaps see if you can cancel the More Blue dovetail and substitute for the Tak one instead (although more expensive!)

Thanks for this Gary. I will drop FLO an email and swap for the other dovetail.

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, Dean Hale said:

Thanks for this Gary. I will drop FLO an email and swap for the other dovetail.

I think, on balance it is the more secure solution... it does look like you might be able to get the M8 bolts in those wider points on the slot (which appear to be 35mm spaced, although offset from centre), so might work, but seems a bit of hassle when there is a dovetail specifically for the purpose. The More Blue dovetails work brilliantly with their rings of course 👍

I've been running with the Tak dovetail and cradle in the ADM saddle on the ScopeTech mount for months, and it worked perfectly. I've only swapped to mounting the Tak cradle directly, because I favour an even lighter, simple solution and really was never mounting any other scope (than the FC-76 or FS-60) on that setup anyway 😀

Edited by HollyHound
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, HollyHound said:

Now it's just the wedding to pay for 😮 I wonder if there a tradition in Japan for the groom to receive a new triplet refractor as a wedding gift... If not, I'm sure there should be 🤔

I paid the balance on my daughter’s wedding yesterday. I understand there is a Cheshire tradition that the Groom presents the Father of the Bride with a fluorite refractor.

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

6 hours ago, Surfer Chris said:

Thanks. Yes, this is the conclusion I have just come to Malcolm.

Its just a shame the 76mm objective module is so pricey as an added extra. Not far off the price of a complete 76DCU scope. If in the future I did want to look at the 76DCU, I would be almost tempted to just buy the full scope to save swapping parts over.

I'm not buying any Taks but just had a look at FLO and agreed, not a chance I'd buy the objective module as I rather pay a few hundred more and get the full scope....

• Like 2

The Tak dovetail is great quality and surprisingly lightweight but is a little bit narrower than some other dovetails on the market which can be an issue getting it properly secured if your saddle doesn't have much inward travel on its locking bolt. That wouldn't be a problem with the saddle that comes with the Scopetech Zero (I have one myself) but anyone needing a wider dovetail might want to look at ADM's 7" Vixen-type dovetail or the smaller and cheaper 10cm long model from Lacerta, both of which are drilled and tapped with a pair of holes 35mm apart to match those in a Tak clamshell although the latter is only available from a couple of European sellers.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Andrew_B said:

The Tak dovetail is great quality and surprisingly lightweight but is a little bit narrower than some other dovetails on the market which can be an issue getting it properly secured if your saddle doesn't have much inward travel on its locking bolt. That wouldn't be a problem with the saddle that comes with the Scopetech Zero (I have one myself) but anyone needing a wider dovetail might want to look at ADM's 7" Vixen-type dovetail or the smaller and cheaper 10cm long model from Lacerta, both of which are drilled and tapped with a pair of holes 35mm apart to match those in a Tak clamshell although the latter is only available from a couple of European sellers.

Yes I’ve found the Tak dovetail too narrow to fit the aftermarket ADM vixen clamp I have fitted to my AZ GTi. So I do t use the Tak dovetail with my small Taks in the 60 to 76 range. 

19 minutes ago, JeremyS said:

Yes I’ve found the Tak dovetail too narrow to fit the aftermarket ADM vixen clamp I have fitted to my AZ GTi. So I do t use the Tak dovetail with my small Taks in the 60 to 76 range. 

Strangely enough, I never found an issue with the ADM saddle I had fitted to the ScopeTech Zero, perhaps it just has enough travel 🤔 As it happens, I've moved away from using the saddle/dovetail anyway and returned to mounting the cradle directly directly to the mount.

The saddles on the AZ100 seem to work fine too, but they have an enormous travel on the two locking clamps.

I agree, that if there is any chance of slippage, I wouldn't be comfortable risking it though 👍

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, HollyHound said:

Strangely enough, I never found an issue with the ADM saddle I had fitted to the ScopeTech Zero, perhaps it just has enough travel 🤔 As it happens, I've moved away from using the saddle/dovetail anyway and returned to mounting the cradle directly directly to the mount.

The saddles on the AZ100 seem to work fine too, but they have an enormous travel on the two locking clamps.

I agree, that if there is any chance of slippage, I wouldn't be comfortable risking it though 👍

Maybe they corrected the ADM saddle. Even fully tightened it wouldn’t grip the Tak dovetail. Other saddle clamps are fine.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, JeremyS said:

I paid the balance on my daughter’s wedding yesterday. I understand there is a Cheshire tradition that the Groom presents the Father of the Bride with a fluorite refractor.

This reminds me of my engagement, my wife is Italian and as is tradition (at least Italians in North America) for the bride to present to her fiancé a nice gift upon my giving her an engagement ring. At the time (1999) I worked in a scope shop and was a dedicated amateur so she called the scope shop without me knowing and spoke to the owner who then suggested a scope I would really like which she bought. When I came home one night there she was in my apartment with a Celestron 8" schmidt XLT (I say XLT but it said Starbright on the secondary) on an equatorial mount with a bow around it. 

Edited by Sunshine
  • Like 7

5 minutes ago, Sunshine said:

This reminds me of my engagement, my wife is Italian and as is tradition (at least Italians in North America) for the bride to present to her fiancé a nice gift upon my giving her an engagement ring. At the time (1999) I worked in a scope shop and was a dedicated amateur so she called the scope shop without me knowing and spoke to the owner who then suggested a scope I would really like which she bought. When I came home one night there she was in my apartment with a Celestron 8" schmidt XLT on an equatorial mount with a bow around it. 

Fabulous!

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, JeremyS said:

Maybe they corrected the ADM saddle. Even fully tightened it wouldn’t grip the Tak dovetail. Other saddle clamps are fine.

Must have done... just tried it again (not on the mount anymore) and it does grip tight, although it only seems to have a tiny (0.3mm) of extra travel left... certainly never had an issue over many months of use, so I guess it's been corrected in the last year or so 🤔

Or Takahashi have increased the width of their dovetails 😄

• Like 1