Help with filter placement and size..

So I recently picked up a Zenithstar 73 Refractor and I've been using it with my astromodified canon 1200d. 

So I figured that I need an IR Cut filter somewhere in my image train but where is the best place?

I have a Flat 73 R between my scope and camera so should I stick one in there or on the front of the camera?

Also I see that there's some confusion online as to what size filters fit inside the flattener. The WO website states that it's an M48 size thread, which I think is 2" but other people are saying they don't fit. Do I need an adapter? 

Thanks.

50 minutes ago, Taurus Sapien said:

I've been using it with my astromodified canon 1200d. 

How is your canon astromodified?

If original IR/UV cut filter was replaced with one suitable for astronomy - then you already have UV/IR cut filter installed and you don't need another one.

56 minutes ago, teoria_del_big_bang said:

Easiest place with a DSLR is to get a clip in filter that fits in the camera

This is an easy place for the filter but the negative is if you change camera. The advantage of a standard 2" filter (assuming you need it and it fits) is you can use it with any camera or even for visual use.

• Thanks 1

Thanks for the quick responses!

I think that Clarkey has a valid point, being that if I did change camera I wouldn't have to worry about it. 

To answer your question about what type of mod it was, I did it myself. I did not replace any of the filters I removed from in front of the sensor. So I do believe it would be a full spectrum modification. I am getting bloated stars in my subs.

I will still look for clip-in filters to see if any change my mind but I would rather one that fits onto the Flat 73 R. If anyone knows of any great ones please let me know! :)

42 minutes ago, Taurus Sapien said:

Thanks for the quick responses!

I think that Clarkey has a valid point, being that if I did change camera I wouldn't have to worry about it. 

To answer your question about what type of mod it was, I did it myself. I did not replace any of the filters I removed from in front of the sensor. So I do believe it would be a full spectrum modification. I am getting bloated stars in my subs.

I will still look for clip-in filters to see if any change my mind but I would rather one that fits onto the Flat 73 R. If anyone knows of any great ones please let me know! :)

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/uv-ir-filters/astro-essentials-uvir-cut-filter-125-2.html

2" filters all have M48 thread so if your flattener has M48 on front side that goes into telescope - you can use 2" filter.

• Like 1