NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Sky-Watcher EQ5 Deluxe - Pros and Cons...

Ian McCallum

I'm close to pulling the trigger on buying a SW EQ5 Deluxe mount and tripod, for my recently purchased 2nd hand SW Evostar 120. 

My thinking is that this mount should easily cope with with telescope, with no problems. I'm hoping it's somewhat futureproof for most things I'll ever use on it. 

I really like to do my research on a potential new purchase, so that I don't end up with the proverbial 'white elephant'. 

Those who have this or previously used it, what's the quirks, idiosyncrasies, pros and cons of this mount, please? 🤔

Edited by Ian McCallum

Firstly , congrats on the scope and the potential mount purchase , Ian . 

An EQ5 is a great mount that will easily cope with the 120 . Where people have cause for concern is when attempting serious  astrophotography with the mount  . Most people recommend an HEQ5 . 

But for visual the mount is sound and is rightfully reknowned as a classic. 

I think the payload maximum  for visual is listed around 9kgs . 

Any Cons ?... maybe you can update the altitude bolts as they tend to want to bend , also i believe the mount comes with very short slow motion controls rather than the long cables . 

Stu 

• Like 1

The EQ5 is a good mount for visual use provided its not overloaded if an Equatorial platform is what you want, the addition of even the single axis motor will keep most objects in the FOV for many minutes providing stress free viewing.

I mentioned visual use but it can track well enough for Lunar or Planetary imaging which is often done by short bursts of video or very wide field AP with a DSLR and say a 50mm lens but anything else starts to make things more difficult though not impossible.

Alan

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Stu1smartcookie said:

Firstly , congrats on the scope and the potential mount purchase , Ian . 

An EQ5 is a great mount that will easily cope with the 120 . Where people have cause for concern is when attempting serious  astrophotography with the mount  . Most people recommend an HEQ5 . 

But for visual the mount is sound and is rightfully reknowned as a classic. 

I think the payload maximum  for visual is listed around 9kgs . 

Any Cons ?... maybe you can update the altitude bolts as they tend to want to bend , also i believe the mount comes with very short slow motion controls rather than the long cables . 

Stu 

I plan in the future to get one of the Scopetech 80mm F15 refractors from Autie @FLO, so that will be the longer OTA to go on the EQ5.  No problems regarding the bolts, as I've already been forewarned in a YouTube video. I think one set is M8 and the other is M10, so no major problems.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Alien 13 said:

The EQ5 is a good mount for visual use provided its not overloaded if an Equatorial platform is what you want, the addition of even the single axis motor will keep most objects in the FOV for many minutes providing stress free viewing.

I mentioned visual use but it can track well enough for Lunar or Planetary imaging which is often done by short bursts of video or very wide field AP with a DSLR and say a 50mm lens but anything else starts to make things more difficult though not impossible.

Alan

Any video or photos will just be occasionally, the vast majority of stuff will be visual.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Ian McCallum said:

I plan in the future to get one of the Scopetech 80mm F15 refractors from Autie @FLO, so that will be the longer OTA to go on the EQ5.  No problems regarding the bolts, as I've already been forewarned in a YouTube video. I think one set is M8 and the other is M10, so no major problems.

Never had a problem with the bolts myself provided you dont try tightening one without first loosening the other and they only need to be finger tight..

Alan

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Alien 13 said:

Never had a problem with the bolts myself provided you dont try tightening one without first loosening the other and they only need to be finger tight..

Alan

This guy did a good job of replacing them, on a second hand mount that he bought.  I wonder if he's a member on here?🤔

https://youtu.be/tGTY61b5HPg

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Mr Spock said:

I reckon that's its upper limit visually

I'll second that. EQ5 is a clone of the Vixen GP and its predecessor the SP. These mounts are superb, light-mid weight GEMs and they were so well made, that they are still going strong, even though they date back to the 80s/90s. I have had several EQ5s along the way and they have always delivered (visual only) and as said above an RA clockdrive is all you need for tracking. You don't need a polar scope and the setting circles are decoration only. For visual, just set your latitude and point the thing roughly North. The long Scopetech would pair well with an EQ5, though you would probably benefit from the 16" extension at f/15.

1 hour ago, Mr Spock said:

I'm using a 120mm fl 1000mm achro on an EQ5. I reckon that's its upper limit visually and wouldn't recommend AP with that combination.

Really. I Would say it does brilliantly. Would a NEQ6 be better ? of course it would. But it doesnt stop stunning results in AP If funds are tight. I doubt a NEQ6 Would produce much better results. How do i know this ? i had 2 of them and produced similair results. The only time you would see a difference maybe with my images would be in windy conditions. And even then not much. 

Try clicking full size and see if fine detail looks like its getting compromised  on the 1600mm FL 

Here Exactly 120MM FL1000. 

65 png.png b.png

And here 245mm Mirror 1600mm FL 

For picture.png 2.png 3.png

jupiter 5th sept.png

Edited by neil phillips
  • Like 4

14 minutes ago, neil phillips said:

Try clicking full size and see if fine detail looks like its getting compromised  on the 1600mm FL 

Not at all, amazing images as usual Neil.

I reckon you could give that Mr Peach a run for his money, any day of the week! (i mean night)😃

2 minutes ago, neil phillips said:

Anyway back to Ians concerns

I think the EQ5 is great mount for visual astronomy and solar system imaging. I don't think it's the best mount for long exposure DSO imaging, though used as a tracker for ultra wide field imaging of DSOs, I think it would perform very well.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Franklin said:

I think the EQ5 is great mount for visual astronomy and solar system imaging. I don't think it's the best mount for long exposure DSO imaging, though used as a tracker for ultra wide field imaging of DSOs, I think it would perform very well.

Yes i agree.  One has to be careful how they offer advice. But yes i am with you on that. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Alien 13 said:

Alan

Couldnt agree more.  If Ian wants new and that is hes price range, I cant see why he wont love it. Some use isolation pads to reduce vibration during focusing. I put a large weight on the eyepiece holder. it helps a little. Not sure if a electronic focuser can be got for the scope Ian is thinking of. Even though the EQ5 will eat up the scopetech. There will always be a little vibration during focusing. Even my 70mm frac does it on the EQ5 but its not a problem. You get good at reading between the slight jolting. 

Edited by neil phillips
  • Like 2

I've recently sold an EQ5 deluxe mount - it seemed pretty solid I must say. When I've owned them in the past (or clones of them) I've put quite long and heavy refractors on them (visual only) - up to a 150mm F/8 and the mount seemed to cope OK. The Celestron CG5 version has a bit more capacity because it comes with a 2 inch steel tubed tripod which is both sturdier and taller (good for refractors !) than the stock EQ5 tripod.

The dual axis EQ5 motor kits seem easy to fit and work well for visual. If I had a choice I would try and find a Vixen GP though. They are very similar to the EQ5 but built in Japan and very smooth and precise and I feel have a slightly higher capacity.

The tripod I used with the EQ5 below was a Tele Optik hardwood one which is superb but like hens teeth to find, unfortunately:

helios6eq5.jpg.d73aeedf57d6083b3c690e45b39e9134.jpg

Edited by John
  • Like 1