Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

A Barely There Squid

tomato

After being highly impressed with @clarkpm4242's image posted earlier, and faced with the current weather forecast of having no prospect of being able to add any more integration time to my frankly ridiculous existing 72 mins on this subject, I thought I would process it anyway and post it as a comparison, given that it was captured with the same set up. To my amazement, the Squid is just discernible, although I have pushed the processing in favour of the OIII channel.

On the subject of OSC vs mono, on the same rig I have a Samyang 135 F2 lens coupled to a KAF 8300 mono CCD. In the same session I got an hour of Ha and just 10 mins of OIII before the clouds rolled in. Needless to say there is no trace of the Squid in that image. Not a fair comparison instrument wise I know, but first strike to the OSC  in at least capturing something of this ghostly cephalopod.

BatSquid_RASA8_NBZ_21x3mins-NBZ-session_1-lpc-cbg-mod-StPIGW.thumb.jpg.93d0e72924254de70f7ad91bd01295ea.jpg

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1

To add another comparison, this is 3 hours (in 15 min subs), also with a KAF 8300 (Atik 383) and a Samyang 135 (cropped to just show the nebula). I had to remove the stars before I could see anything.

Not sure If I am going to continue........

Mick

Squid 3 hours .png

• Like 2