Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

The Eq8 r pro mount eventually pier placed.

Nigella Bryant

Well, yesterday I finally placed my Eq8 R pro mount on the pier. It's a heavy beast for sure. Now for under floor cabling to be done to the computer and sort out cabling for electronic focusers, cameras and filter wheel. Then it's getting polar alignment done.

Not used the 12inch Newtonian for two years that I'm placing on top since my house move so the mirror needs cleaning and then collimating again. I was surprised it was still pretty much collimated despite the house move and sitting and being moved slightly here and there in the last two years. The focuser was completely frozen and wouldn't budge but eventually I was able to get that working so it needs some TLC and grease. 

So still lots to do before comisioning.

IMG_20211030_135507.jpg

IMG_20211030_142956.jpg

IMG_20211030_143011.jpg

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, newbie alert said:

Not so sure on the double layer rat cage.. are you looking to gain height( story of my life)

It is for hight as the garden is below road level so the dome is on a plinth too. Also the rod's are 25mm rod's so are supper stable. I've had the neq6 and a C11 on it with no issues. I built the concrete pier with the intention of upgrading to a bigger mount so went for big rod's and steel plates.. 

IMG_20200611_142821.thumb.jpg.285544705d7941380877a9a56b722f1c.jpg

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Looks a great set up. I am collecting a EQ8 R Pro tomorrow and cannot wait to get it home and in my ror obsey. 

My OOUK CT10 has proved to be just a little too much for my EQ6R Pro to guide at a level my new 2600mm pro pixel scale needs. Think just the sheer size of the scope plus the overall weight just needs a beefier mount.

Do you think the pier adapter will adapter for the EQ8?  May need a new one or will have to get some heavy gauge metal plate and make something

IMG_0509.JPG

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Glennbloke said:

Looks a great set up. I am collecting a EQ8 R Pro tomorrow and cannot wait to get it home and in my ror obsey. 

My OOUK CT10 has proved to be just a little too much for my EQ6R Pro to guide at a level my new 2600mm pro pixel scale needs. Think just the sheer size of the scope plus the overall weight just needs a beefier mount.

Do you think the pier adapter will adapter for the EQ8?  May need a new one or will have to get some heavy gauge metal plate and make something

IMG_0509.JPG

Your pier plate should adapt if it's the same circumference. It should be around 180cm across. You may need to drill new holes for azimuth again dependent on distances. I think it was 160cm spacings. Diagram attached.

skywatcher-eq8-mount-pier-top-1-01.webp

I'm pretty sure it'll be great but I agree with Newby Alert regarding the threaded bars. It seems a shame to build a massive base and then top it off with rather spindly 'stilts.' Hark at me, though: I did exactly the same thing when adapting a pier for a new mount needing more height and it's been good. 🤣

Olly

6 minutes ago, ollypenrice said:

I'm pretty sure it'll be great but I agree with Newby Alert regarding the threaded bars. It seems a shame to build a massive base and then top it off with rather spindly 'stilts.' Hark at me, though: I did exactly the same thing when adapting a pier for a new mount needing more height and it's been good. 🤣

Olly

They are large diameter bar's 25mm/1inch embedded a metre into the concert and are rock solid, thankfully, lol. 

6 hours ago, jacko61 said:

I'm planning on ordering an EQ8R soon @Nigella Bryant.  Have you had much chance to play with yours yet?  Any downsides to report?

Graeme.

Hi Graeme unfortunately I have not used it in anger yet because of the weather but can confirm that it home park's using eqmod and Cart-de-Ciel. I can also confirm that the usb3 hub working with zwo camera's, zwo filter wheel and modded canon 1000d camera. Sorry can't say about tracking as I've only observed the moon so far but that did stay in the field of view with no straying from the field. 

Edited by Nigella Bryant
  • Thanks 1

• 2 years later...
On 31/10/2021 at 02:39, Nigella Bryant said:

Well, yesterday I finally placed my Eq8 R pro mount on the pier. It's a heavy beast for sure. Now for under floor cabling to be done to the computer and sort out cabling for electronic focusers, cameras and filter wheel. Then it's getting polar alignment done.

Not used the 12inch Newtonian for two years that I'm placing on top since my house move so the mirror needs cleaning and then collimating again. I was surprised it was still pretty much collimated despite the house move and sitting and being moved slightly here and there in the last two years. The focuser was completely frozen and wouldn't budge but eventually I was able to get that working so it needs some TLC and grease. 

So still lots to do before comisioning.

IMG_20211030_135507.jpg

IMG_20211030_142956.jpg

IMG_20211030_143011.jpg

Great job.  What size steel plates did you use for the pier adapter?

• Like 1