SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Skywatcher esprit 80ED or William optics GT81 IV

5 hours ago, SparkyVRA said:

Looks nice, only nagging bit is no manual option, however I have no intention at this moment in time using this OTA for visual I may change my mind, there is the WiFi and mobile but don't really want to use a phone to focus. 

That said I do like this looks a sturdy setup. 

Yes, I know what you mean, but I think I looked through the Esprit once shortly after it arrived, and haven't done so since. NINA runs the mount, the autofocus routine, and the capture sequence while I sit inside and watch the telly!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JoseClimaco said:

Another vote for the Esprit 80. Fantastic scope

I like the wider fov of the 80. Just looking into the starizona Apex ED 0.65x Reducer for the 100 and trying to find a review to give me the best of both worlds.

Another option is the WO flt 91, but it's really stretching the budget. 

Is this your 2nd scope choice for AP? I suspect it is..

... don't worry, it gets easier once the collection is under way.. learn the mantra of "N+1" :) .. The sooner you get past this hurdle the easier it is to understand the angst of making the right decision is soothed by looking ahead at the next one to fill in the "gap" left by the current decision 🤣

With regard focus motors.. out of all the ones I have (quite a few & aside from combined Moonlite focuser/motors.. superb!) the ones I've fitted to Esprits.. the Sesto Senso (not sure why FLO stopped doing them) is the easiest & neatest .. I have that on the 150 & it has manual override BTW.. but hey why would I need that! 😆

1 hour ago, Sp@ce_d said:

Is this your 2nd scope choice for AP? I suspect it is..

... don't worry, it gets easier once the collection is under way.. learn the mantra of "N+1" :) .. The sooner you get past this hurdle the easier it is to understand the angst of making the right decision is soothed by looking ahead at the next one to fill in the "gap" left by the current decision 🤣

With regard focus motors.. out of all the ones I have (quite a few & aside from combined Moonlite focuser/motors.. superb!) the ones I've fitted to Esprits.. the Sesto Senso (not sure why FLO stopped doing them) is the easiest & neatest .. I have that on the 150 & it has manual override BTW.. but hey why would I need that! 😆

It will be for ap, so applying n+1 and then next year n+1 I can have both 🤣

The Sesto Senso seems to be a popular option. 

• Haha 1

So made my mind up on the Esprit 100 or FLT 91. My preference is the Skywatcher and waiting on word back from FLO on when they will be in stock. I'm ruling out the StelllaMira 90 as its an unknown, and TBH i want something proven that also has examples using the same Camera I have. 

I could however get the FLT91 now. But im just not sure if its worth the extra. So will have to see what FLO say. 

27 minutes ago, SparkyVRA said:

So made my mind up on the Esprit 100 or FLT 91. My preference is the Skywatcher and waiting on word back from FLO on when they will be in stock. 

Coincidentally we checked then updated our ETAs for all Esprit telescopes this morning. 

Esprit-80:  In stock but waiting in queue for optical bench so 2-4x working days. 

Esprit-100:  Unfortunately not in stock and unavailable until Feb/Mar. 

Esprit-120:  We had a delivery earlier today but all pre-sold. We have a few more arriving later this month but they too might be sold, depending on numbers. So probably Jan/Feb. 

Esprit-150:  In stock but waiting in queue for optical bench so 2-4x working days. 

HTH, 

Steve 

I've not looked through an Esprit, but can highly recommend the WO 81 GT IV. I use it with a Hotech SCA 1x flattener, so the focal length is around 478 mm, but you can always get the WO flattener/reducer if you want a wider field of view. 

Even at 478 mm focal length, when I use it with a ZWO 071 camera, the field of view is around 2.8 degrees by 1.9 degrees, which is big enough for most objects.

• Like 1

Well due to lack of stock I have decided to go with the flt 91. Order placed and picking up staurday. Its being optical tested tomorrow..

I have also ordered the William Optics FLAT6AIII 0.8x Reducer / Flattener Special edition for Fluorostar 91 but have to wait a couple of weeks for this.

Mark

• Like 3

On 31/10/2021 at 01:19, Concordia000 said:

Surprisingly, the CF only makes the scope about 200 grams lighter. 

Not really surprising.. unscrew the focuser and there's actually very little tube length...but it there because it's more thermally stable than whatever tubes are normally made from.. aluminium or steel I'd guess

Well picked up the flt-91 at the weekend. 

Hd to order a losmandy plate to sit the mini pc on, which is why the handle has been moved a little. 

Zwo eaf fitting was quite straight forward. Problem is now I need another carry case as it no longer fitsbthe one it came in.

Final bit tomorrow is to set backfocus on the reducer and the test. 

20211122_230850.jpg