Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Skywatcher esprit 80ED or William optics GT81 IV

So far I have been imaging with a C8 with reducer and ZWO ASI 294MC-PRO. Now I'm considering something with a smaller focal length and have been looking at APO's.

I plan to use the same camera and I have narrowed this down to the following.

Skywatcher esprit 80ED

William optics GT81 IV

By the time I add the cost for flatteners (wo gt81 is also a reducer) I'm looking at about the same price.

Any advise on which is better?

I know this has been asked a few years ago but the wo has been thought another revision. 

Thanks

1 hour ago, SparkyVRA said:

So far I have been imaging with a C8 with reducer and ZWO ASI 294MC-PRO. Now I'm considering something with a smaller focal length and have been looking at APO's.

I plan to use the same camera and I have narrowed this down to the following.

Skywatcher esprit 80ED

William optics GT81 IV

By the time I add the cost for flatteners (wo gt81 is also a reducer) I'm looking at about the same price.

Any advise on which is better?

I know this has been asked a few years ago but the wo has been thought another revision. 

Thanks

I think it matters more who you purchase from as opposed to which one you buy. I have seen fantastic examples of both scopes and also optically questionable examples. Personally I would go with the GT81 but only because I dont like the little foot thing on the Esprit 80. Tube rings are the way to go. It you could stretch to the esprit 100 then I would recommend that without hesitation. 

Also have you looked at the stellamira 90? It seems great value at that price which is very similar to the scopes you are looking at and guarantees 0.95 stehl ratio. Which while not the be all and end all. It is better than the other two which promise nothing beyond diffraction limited performance (but normally deliver much better). 

Adam 

Edited by Adam J

The Tecnosky  80 f/6 triplet looks very interesting. Same scope as the GT81 I beleive. WO has a habit of slightly changing the focal length and aperture specs to make their scopes seem different but they aren’t actually.

Bench tested by Tecnosky in Italy then tested again by Astrograph in the UK. so you’ll  get a perfect scope. Astrograph are a high end dealer who know what they are doing and give first class advice and service.

https://astrograph.net/epages/www_astrograph_net.sf/en_GB/?ObjectPath=/Shops/www_astrograph_net/Products/AGTEC80OWL

Edited by johninderby

Can't comment on the WO but I have the Esprit 80 and it's a joy to use. Agree with the comment about the mounting foot - I've removed it and fitted Primaluce Labs tube rings. They're a bit tight, and a bit expensive, but they do the job.

5 hours ago, Adam J said:

I think it matters more who you purchase from as opposed to which one you buy. I have seen fantastic examples of both scopes and also optically questionable examples. Personally I would go with the GT81 but only because I dont like the little foot thing on the Esprit 80. Tube rings are the way to go. It you could stretch to the esprit 100 then I would recommend that without hesitation. 

Also have you looked at the stellamira 90? It seems great value at that price which is very similar to the scopes you are looking at and guarantees 0.95 stehl ratio. Which while not the be all and end all. It is better than the other two which promise nothing beyond diffraction limited performance (but normally deliver much better). 

Adam 

I am actually curious about the StellarMira too. It seems to be the exact same as this scope, except in CF: https://www.teleskop-express.de/shop/product_info.php/info/p12928_TS-Optics-CF-APO-90-mm-f-6-FPL55-Triplet-APO-Refractor-with-Certificate.html

If the claims hold up then it will be a fantastic scope for a third of a LZOS lens, but I can't seem to find who actually made this scope. 

I also got myself a NP101 which has the exact same FL, so I don't think I will ever buy this scope, but I am still curious about other people's experience. Especially considering that FLO seems to have sold very few of them.

Surprisingly, the CF only makes the scope about 200 grams lighter. 

• Like 1

From my experience Esprit.. I’ve 2 (& a 150) I sent a gt81 back it just didn’t compare with build & star shapes but that was a few years ago. As said use a reputable dealer (FLO were excellent at dealing with my issues), there are others that look interesting & Stelamira sounds promising. If the results FLO are getting with the one in the IKI obsy are anything to go by.

There are some really great 80mm scopes to choose from and nowadays it can be a difficult choice. 🤔

As mentioned above the dealer is so important and one that can answer technical questions and will make sure you gat a perfectly set up scope.

Lots of choices for 80mm f/6 triplet on the market.

The cheapest one is the Altair Starwave 80EDT-R. It uses FCD100 as opposed to FPL53/55 as its ED element. The build quality is very good. Lots of value for money. I've got one myself.

Tecknosky, WO and TS Optics 80mm f/6 are all essentially the same scope but with different branding and styles. I second John that Rupert from Astrograph is very knowledgeable/friendly and offers great service. So getting the technosky from him should be trouble free.

Then it's the Esprit 80 (this one is f/5). FLO bench test these before shipping so quality is pretty much guaranteed.

Edited by KP82
  • Thanks 1

On 31/10/2021 at 16:04, KP82 said:

Lots of choices for 80mm f/6 triplet on the market.

The cheapest one is the Altair Starwave 80EDT-R. It uses FCD100 as opposed to FPL53/55 as its ED element. The build quality is very good. Lots of value for money. I've got one myself.

Tecknosky, WO and TS Optics 80mm f/6 are all essentially the same scope but with different branding and styles. I second John that Rupert from Astrograph is very knowledgeable/friendly and offers great service. So getting the technosky from him should be trouble free.

Then it's the Esprit 80 (this one is f/5). FLO bench test these before shipping so quality is pretty much guaranteed.

Try actually getting hold of one of those though. 

On 31/10/2021 at 01:19, Concordia000 said:

I am actually curious about the StellarMira too. It seems to be the exact same as this scope, except in CF: https://www.teleskop-express.de/shop/product_info.php/info/p12928_TS-Optics-CF-APO-90-mm-f-6-FPL55-Triplet-APO-Refractor-with-Certificate.html

Not the exact same but very close (sourced from the same factory). 

If the claims hold up then it will be a fantastic scope for a third of a LZOS lens, but I can't seem to find who actually made this scope. 

It is manufactured by United Optics. 

... I am still curious about other people's experience. Especially considering that FLO seems to have sold very few of them.

It is a new telescope released less than a month ago so it will be a while before you see owners posting images. 

Sales are actually good. Better than expected. Though this might be because currently the long established Esprit-80 and Esprit-100 are both in short supply. 

Surprisingly, the CF only makes the scope about 200 grams lighter. 

Carbon fibre was chosen for its thermal characteristics, not weight. 

Anyhow, the StellMira 90 ED triplet is not one of the two telescopes shortlisted by the OP 🙂 

Steve 

On 30/10/2021 at 21:07, johninderby said:

The Tecnosky  80 f/6 triplet looks very interesting. Same scope as the GT81 I beleive. 

No. They are not the same. It is possible they share some components but they are different telescopes. I.e. the GT81 uses FPL-53 glass for the ED element. 

Steve 

• 2 weeks later...

So I have spent ages looking into options and pushing budgets. 

If I do go for a triplet I think I'm settled on the esprit 100. It does however force me to wait a couple more months for funds. 

Just factoring in what extras I need. Its not going to be used for visual.

Obviously field flattener will be ordered at the same time and dealer will be Flo so it's checked and tuned. 

I will be connecting my zwo 294mc -pro are any adapters required? Also what back focus would be required for this?

I need to mount my mini pc, what plate options for on top of the tube rings?

I would also add an electronic focuser, was considering a zwo, but are there any other options that are better? 

Thanks

37 minutes ago, SparkyVRA said:

I would also add an electronic focuser, was considering a zwo, but are there any other options that are better? 

I'd recommend the Primalucelabs Sesto Senso. I have one on my Esprit 80 and it's fantastic.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, SparkyVRA said:

Thanks

I am using DeepSkyDad AF3 autofocuser with Esprit 120 . Works perfectly with my relatively heavy rig (Reducer, 7 pos filterwheel and QHY268m camera. 

• Like 1

On 13/11/2021 at 23:26, Stefek said:

I am using DeepSkyDad AF3 autofocuser with Esprit 120 . Works perfectly with my relatively heavy rig (Reducer, 7 pos filterwheel and QHY268m camera. 

Thanks just not sure I like the idea of a belt drive. 

On 13/11/2021 at 22:59, Padraic M said:

I'd recommend the Primalucelabs Sesto Senso. I have one on my Esprit 80 and it's fantastic.

Looks nice, only nagging bit is no manual option, however I have no intention at this moment in time using this OTA for visual I may change my mind, there is the WiFi and mobile but don't really want to use a phone to focus. 

That said I do like this looks a sturdy setup.