Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Five nights in Northumberland

Richard N

4 minutes ago, scarp15 said:

Where about's in Northumberland were you situated?

Near Haltwhistle. The five minutes were good enough to confirm that the sky was very dark. 

Edited by Richard N

6 minutes ago, Marvin Jenkins said:

Five nights in Northumberland. Sounds like a title to a film. Not a great film by the sounds of it.

It's a great sky there when clear, but unfortunately I can confirm that's quite rare up there 😒 :clouds1: :clouds2:

The weather has been particularly gloomy the past few days and nights. Far worse though in the north west with the excessive rain fall and all. As it would be, the forecast does look to be more promising for the coming week, colder with clearer skies from mid week, coinciding with a new moon. Herding hill farm campsite, stopped there once a few years back, when cycling the Hadrian Cycle Way with my daughter, good campsite with Llamas to greet you, as I recall. They were tapping into the astro dark tourism and a part of the field catered for that. However the led lit path to the brightly lit wash facilities, contradicted this a bit. Near to Cawfields; a good spot.  

• Like 1

I had a particular 2 week trip to 21.8 SW Ireland a couple of years ago. I used to plan those trips with the phase of the moon in mind to maximize the number of dark nights. In that whole trip I glimpsed one star for a few seconds in a cloud gap on a walk back from the pub. So I sympathize. My suggestion: move there, that’s what I did.

M

18 minutes ago, Captain Magenta said:

I had a particular 2 week trip to 21.8 SW Ireland a couple of years ago. I used to plan those trips with the phase of the moon in mind to maximize the number of dark nights. In that whole trip I glimpsed one star for a few seconds in a cloud gap on a walk back from the pub. So I sympathize. My suggestion: move there, that’s what I did.

M

You sure it wasn't a car head light(only one car head light this is Ireland) as you lay on the floor from too much Guinness 

• Haha 2