My Neighbours 1) Really 2) really 3) really like security lights.

Chris

16 hours ago, ScouseSpaceCadet said:

I nearly suffered a heart attack at the weekend looking out my conservatory window at the clouds..🙄

Channeling Victor Meldrew, the monstrosity below has just been reported! This should be shining down onto the east bound lanes of a 40mph dual carriageway, not lighting up the rear of several houses. The light is brighter than before and angled badly so I wonder if we're the victims of poor maintenance.

20230306_2240362.thumb.jpg.35eeefaa871d9d9ef7a9ac2a7dc5bb52.jpg

At these new or older ones that have been “adjusted”?

• Like 1

On 23/10/2021 at 21:35, Chris said:

They have just upgraded from their two security lights to 3 security lights. I thought it was the Full Moon glaring through the curtains!

At least you can suntan at night 🙃

• Haha 2

My neighbour's light is very bright. Thankfully it's below the fence level. It does, however, light up the houses opposite. I can't imagine what they think of having their bedrooms illuminated by a searchlight!

A few years ago our local streetlight was upgraded to LED.  I had a word with the county street lighting engineer, explaining my astro concerns.  Apparently LED street lights can be turned down in brightness, which he duly agreed to do.  It is now just sufficiently bright to illuminate the road beneath it but is totally invisible from by back garden observatory.  Apparently a big part of this is the design of the lamp housing, which directs light only in a downward direction.  Although LED's get a bad astro press, in my case it has turned out to be far superior to the old sodium one it replaced.

Thankfully no one in my road has security lights - yet.

• Like 3

The two at the top on the rear are totally unnecessary I would complain in an instant about that. I too had a troublesome lamp post led fitted that for some reason stayed on all night all the others in my street turned off about 1am but the one right outside my house never turned off. Got in touch with highways and the cane round and sorted it also added a shield as well. Good luck with those naughty neighbours. 

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Roy Foreman said:

A few years ago our local streetlight was upgraded to LED.  I had a word with the county street lighting engineer, explaining my astro concerns.  Apparently LED street lights can be turned down in brightness, which he duly agreed to do.  It is now just sufficiently bright to illuminate the road beneath it but is totally invisible from by back garden observatory.  Apparently a big part of this is the design of the lamp housing, which directs light only in a downward direction.  Although LED's get a bad astro press, in my case it has turned out to be far superior to the old sodium one it replaced.

Thankfully no one in my road has security lights - yet.

A few weeks ago I drove into our housing development and was pleasantly surprised to notice the LED lamps were all dimmer than usual. One could still see perfectly fine however the whole ambiance along the streets and our cul de sac just felt more 'night time'.

This lasted approx. a week before night as day returned. Someone in the local council is definitely toying with my emotions! 😱

I feel sorry for the birds singing at 1am in February. Our feathered friends must be exhausted... 😟

• Like 1
  • Sad 1