Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

My Neighbours 1) Really 2) really 3) really like security lights.

Chris

5 minutes ago, Zermelo said:

You beat me to it.

Also: "The amount of noise which anyone can bear undisturbed stands in inverse proportion to his mental capacity"
- Arthur Schopenhauer

I bet Schopenhauer would have beaten me to my wording if carriages came equipped with brass bands back in his day 🙂

• Haha 1

On 30/10/2021 at 10:34, UKDiver said:

Has anyone tried a concentrated reflection of light back through their windows? ;)

Lol that brought back the memory of me reading this  Re Blackhead Lighthouse at the mouth of Belfast Lough.

By early 1900 the construction of the lighthouse was under way. It went into operation on 1st Apri1 1902. Mr E.A. Kennedy was appointed Chief Lighthouse Keeper. The lighthouse had only been in operation a short time when the captains of some ships complained about another light flashing in the town with the same frequency as the lighthouse. On investigation by an official of the Irish Lights it was discovered that the beam from the lighthouse was reflecting from a large mirror in the bedroom of a house in York Avenue. The occupant of the house was asked to change the position of the mirror or keep the blinds closed. He refused, stating that the arc of light from the lighthouse should not sweep across the seaward side of the town. Alterations were made to the lighthouse to stop the light from flashing on any part of the town.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

• 3 weeks later...

Our neighbour yesterday put up two of these at the side her house. So far they have been permanently switched on. The photo was taken at 4pm. It's bright. Luckily it doesn't affect me as the view here is quite restricted.

What i don't understand is that she only lives in the house 2 days a week and disappears elsewhere. Why does she think it is a deterrent? No one is in the house. It's actually quite helpful for any would be chancer - light the way, come on in. The saying 'thick as mince' comes to mind.

PXL_20211123_161011705.jpg

• Sad 2

41 minutes ago, Dean Hale said:

Our neighbour yesterday put up two of these at the side her house. So far they have been permanently switched on. The photo was taken at 4pm. It's bright. Luckily it doesn't affect me as the view here is quite restricted.

What i don't understand is that she only lives in the house 2 days a week and disappears elsewhere. Why does she think it is a deterrent? No one is in the house. It's actually quite helpful for any would be chancer - light the way, come on in. The saying 'thick as mince' comes to mind.

Put red tape over the lamp while she's away. 😁👍

• Haha 4

On 23/11/2021 at 17:49, Dean Hale said:

Some people are unfortunately as dim as their security lights are bright. I'm just thankful I live in the middle of nowhere.

• 2 weeks later...
On 23/10/2021 at 21:05, Chris said:

hmmm? now you mention it, it could be because I sometimes press my face up against their patio window whilst they're having dinner? 🤔😄 

It would be a different part of my anatomy that I would be pressing against their patio window while they’re having dinner….😈

• Haha 1

On 23/10/2021 at 20:35, Chris said:

They have just upgraded from their two security lights to 3 security lights. I thought it was the Full Moon glaring through the curtains!

20211023_202707.jpg

20211023_202725.jpg

There is a very simple swift (legal) way to deal with this issue,

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/artificial-light-nuisances-how-councils-deal-with-complaints

There is also the far more direct not so (legal) but guaranteed to produce much better results method i used with my neighbour, never been a problem since. 

Very late to this one but as a lighting engineer by profession, all that they are achieving from that height is illuminating the top of the conservatory. The problem with domestic cheap floods are that there’s no optical control, you do need to spend a lot to have tighter beam angles and that’s just not something that anyone outside of the industry would do. The light-spill is clearly over both sides, they act as more deterrent than functional in my opinion.

I do have a 30w LED flood on the back of my similar-sized property, just in line with the sill of the top windows, but… it’s on a sensor and separately switched, though centrally mounted which illuminates perfectly with no spill over the fence line. I only ever turn it on a couple of times a year for get-togethers etc favouring low output, sensored small bulkheads around the property. These I turn off too for Astro nights.

The question is: do they wish to illuminate the garden better? More localised lighting would be better given the cut-off from the conservatories. From a security point, a smaller 10W, below the top sill would be enough. I’d bet that they are 30W, which is massively over-kill. You can control the spread of light through the mounting height and tilt but most electricians will throw them up in the day, point them in a direction and leave. You could also add a spill shield to act as a light blocker, but nobody would do that domestically. It’s a regular ‘fix’ for Council complaints. 

Edited by Stardaze

• 1 year later...

Does this not still apply

"In 2006 the law was changed to include ‘light nuisance’ as a statutory nuisance under the Environmental Protection Act 1990. This new power allows Councils to take legal action against those responsible who continue to cause light nuisance despite being advised of a problem."

On 13/02/2023 at 22:54, Cyril said:

Does this not still apply

"In 2006 the law was changed to include ‘light nuisance’ as a statutory nuisance under the Environmental Protection Act 1990. This new power allows Councils to take legal action against those responsible who continue to cause light nuisance despite being advised of a problem."

External lighting getting an amateur astronomer's nerves doesn't legally count as a light nuisance...

1 hour ago, ScouseSpaceCadet said:

External lighting getting an amateur astronomer's nerves doesn't legally count as a light nuisance...

Is that really the case?  

I note from this document: 

https://www.cpre.org.uk/wp-content/uploads/2019/11/light-pollution-as-a-statutory-nuisance-a-how-to-guide.pdf

“Statutory nuisance is a criminal offence, and it is the local authority that takes the action. This is different from common law nuisance, where complainants take the action themselves, to the civil courts. For you to have a claim for statutory nuisance, the lighting must be 'prejudicial to health or a nuisance' and harm your enjoyment of your land. ”

• 3 weeks later...

I nearly suffered a heart attack at the weekend looking out my conservatory window at the clouds..🙄

Channeling Victor Meldrew, the monstrosity below has just been reported! This should be shining down onto the east bound lanes of a 40mph dual carriageway, not lighting up the rear of several houses. The light is brighter than before and angled badly so I wonder if we're the victims of poor maintenance.

20230306_2240362.thumb.jpg.35eeefaa871d9d9ef7a9ac2a7dc5bb52.jpg

• Sad 7