SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Tiny telescope!

Mognet

9 minutes ago, Alien 13 said:

I want one...

Alan

Same here, even if to only experiement with

I'm curious as to how they perform. I couldn't find anything with a quick search, but if they are going to be using one in a satellite then they must perform well

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, McQ said:

Followup by the group that commissioned the tiny scopes.

Thanks for that. It looks like they are quite capable performers, and certainly well suited to satellite and UAV use as they won't be prone to vibration related problems

11 hours ago, Mognet said:

Thanks for that. It looks like they are quite capable performers, and certainly well suited to satellite and UAV use as they won't be prone to vibration related problems

Having the reflective surface on the "inside" so to speak also means that the coating is immune from degradation so no cleaning or colimation.  Wonder how long before mobile phones start introducing this tech for real telephoto performance in a tiny package.

Alan

Fascinating,  if not as original as they claim. Solid Schmidt designs were described by A. S. DeVany in "Master Optical Techniques " published in 1981. Although then the aim was f1 cameras and faster.

That was in the days when I aspired to make my own optics.  It soon passed as I don't have the right temperament! 

Regards Andrew 

• Like 1

That solid Schmidt does look similar, and means that the solid telescope is not a new idea. LLNL claim to have a patent on their design, so I wonder how this would affect it. I also didn't see anything to say when Rik ter Horst had come up with his idea as it looks like he's been making them for a few years

4 hours ago, Priesters said:

Yep, want one too but can someone tell me where/how I attach my 32mm panaview?

C0993495-C608-4EE6-AF85-7AC70F83F532.jpeg

I think we're going to need a bigger scope! Grinding a monolithic telescope of 200mm or more diameter could be a bit of a tricky prospect though

• Haha 1