Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

20Kg on Sky Tee2?

Richard136

Hi all

I'm thinking of getting a heavy scope and riding it on the Sky Tee2. Question is what is the *true* max that mount can take?

Before I purchase the scope I need to be sure it'll fit on the mount.

total weight will probably be close to 20KG. Obviously I will need to add counterwieghts and a Losmandy clamp, but will the mount take it?

There was a thread on this a few years ago which led FLO citing 10kg on side and 10 on top: https://www.firstlightoptics.com/alt-azimuth-astronomy-mounts/skywatcher-skytee-2-alt-azimuth-mount.html

But there was also a thread where somebody’s mount had completely sheared off. Think this was manufacturing defect, rather than gross overloading, but it certainly made me think.

In general, I’d avoid approaching the max load capacity of any mount.

Edited by JeremyS

While the specs say 13kg it works better with 10kg. While the Skytee is great value for money and works very well indeed it’s no AZ100 in build quality.

And this was mine after using a 17kg scope. Probably a casting defect but still it did fail.

8120291E-AE5F-40DF-A549-21C1162A07EE.jpeg

F4D9317B-BE86-4B52-9259-11E1AB705E31.jpeg

Edited by johninderby

I've put a 9.5kg scope on my Skytee II but it was not 100% happy with that load. It was a long scope as well, which added to the strain. Nothing broke but I could tell that the mount was more or less at it's limit.

The mount seems much happier with my shorter 8kg and lighter scopes on it.

I think I would feel much happier overloading an Ercole than a SkyTee, because the SkyTee is cast rather than machined and probably more prone to failure as @johninderby’s experience showed.

I did once try my 20kg Vixen 150ED f9 on my Ercole and it survived to tell the tale. Worked reasonably well but it’s not something I would recommend as a long term solution. The AZ100 would be much happier I think.

392D9D18-8EF2-4F24-AA7D-4E4A24724E81.jpeg

• Like 1