Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Setting circles for my dob

geppetto

Whilst waiting for the clouds to clear for first light with my new 8" DOB, I decided to fit setting circles to it.

The alt is read from an inclinometer stuck to the OTA with its magnetic base.

The azimuth is read from a 19" diameter circle of 2mm ply with degrees printed on, fitted between the

two base boards.

Being a fairly large diameter circle it gives a decent resolution.

Since the pictures below, I have fitted red led's to illuminate both scales.

Tried it last night and after setting up on a known star, I used the data from Starry Night and pushed the

beast to M51 M37 M35 and M67 getting all on the nose in my 26mm 2" eyepiece.

This "poor man's goto" really works well 8)

alt.jpg

az.jpg

What a cracking idea Phill.

I've been looking at these Revelation dobs(getting aperture fever)

I don't think I would have the nerve to cut a piece out of the base!..I would have to put the reading circle protruding from the base.

Also I would have to put the inclinometer a little further down the OTA,for a better look through the finder.(as your getting to your target's

O.K I don't suppose that.s a prob')

I reckon our resident D.I.Y man Mr wartHog will like to see what you have done. :lol:

Once again great idea.

Mick. :)

That's very impressive Phil, both the set up and the pic. Must have a go at using the setting circles. My super polaris has vernier scales which help get over the problem of the scale being small but I will have to re read how to use them before I go out..

I don't think I would have the nerve to cut a piece out of the base!..I would have to put the reading circle protruding from the base.

..or put the scale on the top of the base and connect the indicator to the bottom piece.

• 3 weeks later...

That's brilliant! Especially the idea of the inclinometer, as even if your base isn't dead level, your altitude readings will be correct. Great! My PDA Messier program has the Alt-az readings for all the Messiers. Could keep me busy.

• 2 months later...

Ian

I used some white face hardboard (stuff they use for kitchen cupboard backs).

Cut to a circle using whatever tools you have. (mine was 19.5" on my 8" DOB)

Then, using a protractor, mark the angles from the centre spot and draw the lines

from centre to edge with a permanent marker.

Finish of by marking the numbers and then cut the centre hole to match the azimuth pin.

Doesn't take long and is well worth it. :)

Its surprisingly accurate for setting azimuth.

Thing I need to upgrade is the inclinometer.

Although it works fine, I think a digital one would give me a better ALT accuracy.

There's plenty of digital ones around but its more spending :nono: as I'm sure you understand :)

Archived