NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Access files on RPI over wifi

I wasn’t sure where to post this so hopefully it’s in the right place.

I can’t seem to find an easy answer to this via google so hopefully someone here knows the answer,

I am using Astroberry for image captures via Ekos. Currently I move the captured images to a usb and then to my Win10 laptop (pro). When I used my Mac I used to be able to access the pi folders directly with SMB - I cant seem to do this on Windows. It doesn’t even see the pi on the network (although it is connected and I can access it via the browser) equally the pi can’t see my shared folder on the pc. I’d like to be able to transfer the images over the network (not during capture though). Can I do this easily?

TIA

Daz

• Like 1

I think the name of the free software is Filezilla. You have to enter the IP address in the manager then you can see on the right hand side of the screen the Pi and on the left side your PC file locations. Just copy across what you need.

Yes its FileZilla FTP Client just looked it up

Edited by Tomatobro
update
  • Thanks 1

There is a free version of a program called mobaterm. It can be configured to access remote devices via ssh or even run a Linux desktop. When connected via ssh a terminal window also has an option to display the files in the current directory and you can copy/paste them to/from the host.

Though have you tried the network connection or it's not working.

See here as it may be a simple fix.

• Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, Tomatobro said:

I think the name of the free software is Filezilla. You have to enter the IP address in the manager then you can see on the right hand side of the screen the Pi and on the left side your PC file locations. Just copy across what you need.

Yes its FileZilla FTP Client just looked it up

Thanks for this - just set it up and its working perfectly!!! Thanks!!!

7 minutes ago, StevieDvd said:

There is a free version of a program called mobaterm. It can be configured to access remote devices via ssh or even run a Linux desktop. When connected via ssh a terminal window also has an option to display the files in the current directory and you can copy/paste them to/from the host.

Though have you tried the network connection or it's not working.

See here as it may be a simple fix.

Thanks for this although Filezilla seems to have done the trick.

You may find that one of a couple of things are happening here.

- The windows firewall is set into a mode other than private network

- The pi is not a member of the same workgroup as the windows pc 

both of these will limit the visibility of SMB shares on windows pc’s vs Mac’s

• Thanks 1

This should be possible as I can do it but I am no computer guru so cannot say exactly how I dd it but can't have been too difficult (because I did it 🙂 ).

From memory, I think that both RPi and laptop (or desktop) have to be on same network and you have to set a directory in the laptop (or desktop) to be a shared directory and then install Samba on the RPi and that's it (I think)

I followed something like THIS

Steve

Edited by teoria_del_big_bang
  • Thanks 1

About the 5th/6th/7th time lucky trying to post this reply 

I wouldn't recommend that anyone enable protocols that have been disabled by default without knowing the consequences. SMB1 is circa 38 years old and deprecated by Microsoft back in 2013; there are quite a number of vulnerabilities associated with the protocol.

Samba has supported SMB2/3+ for quite some time, so Instead I would change the behaviour of Samba.

If you edit the Samba config file:

/ etc / samba / smb.conf

(the default location in most Linux distributions)

under the "[global]" header, add:

server min protocol = SMB2

or

server min protocol = SMB3

This will stop the server from negotiating SMB1/CIFS with clients, this was a known issue with Ubuntu and Red Hat based SMB compatibility when Ubuntu deprecated SMB1 but Red Hat didn't.

Edited by qisback
  • Like 1

On 21/09/2021 at 11:27, Dazzyt66 said:

When I used my Mac I used to be able to access the pi folders directly with SMB - I cant seem to do this on Windows.

I think it needs samba to be installed on the Pi to be able to do that? Just my guess really.

Astropi 3 which is a very old script  https://www.indilib.org/raspberry-pi/astropi3.html  covers this aspect. 

I know you have a solution, but for others who might search for this, if you enable ssh on the Pi, which is often enabled by default (sometimes on a different port from the default 22) then you can transfer files from the Pi to a Windows system using WinSCP, which requires the same login credentials as you might use for ssh.

On a Linux desktop / laptop, you can just use the command line "scp" command, although I'm sure that a lot of file managers under various Linux distributions support the "scp://$hostname" prefix for files as well.

15 hours ago, gilesco said:

I know you have a solution, but for others who might search for this, if you enable ssh on the Pi, which is often enabled by default (sometimes on a different port from the default 22) then you can transfer files from the Pi to a Windows system using WinSCP, which requires the same login credentials as you might use for ssh.

On a Linux desktop / laptop, you can just use the command line "scp" command, although I'm sure that a lot of file managers under various Linux distributions support the "scp://$hostname" prefix for files as well.

It’s all useful stuff. My particular problem was that the Astroberry build for the RPI doesn’t include samba so trying to find all the info to do that is problematic when I am not so savvy with the RPI/Linux protocols. In the end FileZilla was easy and quick - and it worked first time 😊