Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Daytime Fun With Telescope

Sunshine

This morning I found myself looking at distant objects and marveling at the detail one is able to see during the daytime. This tower crane is roughly 500 meters away, yet the detail I could see in the paint and parts was astounding!. At 230x I could easily make out texture in rust, fine cracks in paint, small dents on the ends of pins made my hammer strikes, even a fly perched on the paint which suddenly flew away as if it knew I was spying. 

The images here are not nearly as sharp and defined as it is to my eye as they are hand held phone captures (difficult ones at that) as it is so hard to keep steady and centered with a phone. At one point I was looking at leaves off the tip of a maple tree roughly 150 meters away and I could see the capillary like vanes in the leaf, I was just as enthralled looking at random daytime objects today as I usually am looking at night time wonders!. 

This was a lot of fun! everyone should use their telescopes during the day and enjoy the details they can see from great distances, it is a load of fun too!.

47265F7C-471E-4AFF-93FC-F7BCB3F90E75.jpeg

9B08503D-13D6-4AE3-AA73-44091CECABF1.jpeg

997DAF0F-ACDB-4BF2-8654-0447C55024B8.jpeg

Edited by Sunshine
  • Like 3

Got a power pylon close by that use during the day to align finders, test out optics/new purchases etc, so can see similar details on it too. The only other things close by that I could look at too are chimney tops, but they tend to be pretty boring! ;) 

Edited by Knighty2112
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Sunshine said:

This morning I found myself looking at distant objects and marveling at the detail one is able to see during the daytime. This tower crane is roughly 500 meters away, yet the detail I could see in the paint and parts was astounding!. At 230x I could easily make out texture in rust, fine cracks in paint, small dents on the ends of pins made my hammer strikes, even a fly perched on the paint which suddenly flew away as if it knew I was spying. 

The images here are not nearly as sharp and defined as it is to my eye as they are hand held phone captures (difficult ones at that) as it is so hard to keep steady and centered with a phone. At one point I was looking at leaves off the tip of a maple tree roughly 150 meters away and I could see the capillary like vanes in the leaf, I was just as enthralled looking at random daytime objects today as I usually am looking at night time wonders!. 

This was a lot of fun! everyone should use their telescopes during the day and enjoy the details they can see from great distances, it is a load of fun too!.

47265F7C-471E-4AFF-93FC-F7BCB3F90E75.jpeg

9B08503D-13D6-4AE3-AA73-44091CECABF1.jpeg

997DAF0F-ACDB-4BF2-8654-0447C55024B8.jpeg

That is a fine blue sky!
Have the maples begun to colour yet?

• Like 1

• Sunshine changed the title to Daytime Fun With Telescope
On 19/09/2021 at 21:25, Sunshine said:

This sounds like a place straight out of a Harry Potter movie.

For vintage radio enthusiasts Droitwich and Hilversum will be very familiar. The underlying salty ground  makes a very good groundplane for a long wave transmitter. There is also a nice lake at Upton Warren that is popular with birders.

• Like 1